• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (2 Viewers)

Just as an update the Canon mount lens is lunching in Japan today - there is a special web page for the lens HERE.
Price in Japan is = to $1350 US which seems far too cheap for a decent 600mm.
Well at the very least perhaps we will be getting in some objective shots....I am really interested as many are to see just how it compares.

Hopefully some of our folks here on the forum will begin to test this out ...

Agree.
But in my dreams I'm still hoping to be otherwise. A revolution in terms of price/quality on these long focal ranges. A punch on the stomach to Canon/Nikon for keeping prices so high. I have no doubts it is expensive to make a 600mm but maybe a big chunk of the price is related to the brand only. Maybe?...

Lets hope tamron makes it right :)

me too!

Price is USD1069 when it gets released in the USA in January 2014. A good price and placed between Sigma's 150-500mm and 50-500mm

If the lens is half decent at 600mm for this price then it will blown the competition to smithereens #notholdingmybreaththough. Sigma would have to come up with something very quick that's for sure.

I hope it is good, not everyone can aford the crazy price's for super telephoto lenses and many of us have been there looking for reach yet not getting IQ with the reach.

Rob.

I hope it is good, not everyone can aford the crazy price's for super telephoto lenses and many of us have been there looking for reach yet not getting IQ with the reach.

Rob.
I will be after one of your Gimbals if the Tammy turns out any good Rob :t:

Just seen that Tamron France are releasing the lens in February so I would guess the UK would be around then as well.

A couple of pics of the lens from one of the first real users. The first compares it against the 100-400, it is considerably bigger.

Attachments

• img_196097_18521527_0.jpg
    img_196097_18521527_0.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,374
  • 155962_m.jpg
    155962_m.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 5,545
First user reviews trickling through - HERE is the first detailed review I have seen. Lost in translation at times but the reviewer is in no doubt that it is better at 600mm than the Canon 300/2.8 (MkI) + 2x tc (MkIII) It certainly looks that way from the test shots. Now IF that turns out to be the case then this lens will be a steal at the price.
I am hoping it turns out to be reasonably good as it will be a wake-up call to Canon and Nikon!

B&H and Adorama are taking preorders for the all mounts at $1069. The Canon Mount is coming in 3 weeks while the Nikon mount is a little over a month away.

I pre-ordered in Canada for $1199 cdn.

First user reviews trickling through - HERE is the first detailed review I have seen. Lost in translation at times but the reviewer is in no doubt that it is better at 600mm than the Canon 300/2.8 (MkI) + 2x tc (MkIII) It certainly looks that way from the test shots. Now IF that turns out to be the case then this lens will be a steal at the price.
I am hoping it turns out to be reasonably good as it will be a wake-up call to Canon and Nikon!

That review helped convince me to take a chance and pre-order the lens. I know that I need to try it out myself for a few weeks/season and the low price will limit my risk if I end up selling it.

Any hope Tamron will add m4/3 mount to their tele lenses?

Niels

I doubt it. I have enjoyed using my Panasonic 100-300 for the past 3 years but I want to upgrade the lens and I don't see anything coming from m43 for a long while. I will likely pick up a used D7100 with this Tamron 150-600mm as it should be a good upgrade for the next few years and limits the total cost to $2k.

Last edited:
the single test shot i have seen looks ok,
but MTF:s at 600mm is not super,

but weight, flexibility and price
could make it a best buy,

Think Sigma has a 500mm/f4 on its way next year also (2014)

the single test shot i have seen looks ok,
but MTF:s at 600mm is not super,

but weight, flexibility and price
could make it a best buy,

Think Sigma has a 500mm/f4 on its way next year also (2014)
The Tammy is looking to compete with the likes of the 100-400 + 1.4x tc and also the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc - as well as the current lenses like the Siggy 150-500 - in that respect the MTF charts look quite good and the lens should be better than all these.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE DETAILED REVIEW HERE where the reviewer is comparing the Tammy against the Canon 300/2.8 + 2x tc and also the Canon 500/4 + 1.4x tc and Canon 800/5.6.
For a lens that Cost around 1000 euros and weighs less than 2 KG it fairs very well.

The new Sigma 500/4 will be a lot more expensive (more than 3000 euros) and also a lot heavier that's for sure.

looking at the test linc Roy posted it really is offering great IQ and a very fair price too

it could turn out to be a great birding and aircraft lens .

Rob.

The Tammy is looking to compete with the likes of the 100-400 + 1.4x tc and also the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc - as well as the current lenses like the Siggy 150-500 - in that respect the MTF charts look quite good and the lens should be better than all these.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE DETAILED REVIEW HERE where the reviewer is comparing the Tammy against the Canon 300/2.8 + 2x tc and also the Canon 500/4 + 1.4x tc and Canon 800/5.6.
For a lens that Cost around 1000 euros and weighs less than 2 KG it fairs very well.

The new Sigma 500/4 will be a lot more expensive (more than 3000 euros) and also a lot heavier that's for sure.

looks very descent,
IS seems to be the akilles of the tammy,
and maybe that +TC is not an option?

a 600/5,6, <=2,0 kg usable with 1,4xTC
with 4 stops VR/IS
priced under 2K I think would be a dream,

new sigma will be quite expensive and heavy,
true, but I suspect it will match at least Nikon 500/4
and older Canons,

Latest canon 500/4 IS II is hilarious sharp att f4,
and the price is to..

Last edited:
One thing that caught my eye in that detailed review was just how much quicker the AF was on the FF (6D) against the 7D (irrelevant of lens used). I guess this is just because the 6D has a newer AF system OR is it always the case with FF v crop Camera. I must admit I had never even considered that a FF Camera would AF quicker than a crop as I always though AF speed was more to do with the lens!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back