• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cromarty Firth (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
OK, lucky enough to be going for a week's cheap self catering with the in-laws at the end of March, staying within spitting distance of the Firth.

I know Scotland pretty well, but not from a birding point of view.

At the minute, I can see lots of potential birding opps around the Firth, and on Tarbet Ness, and perhaps a trip up some of the local glens.

Any birding must does in the area about then?

birdman said:
OK, lucky enough to be going for a week's cheap self catering with the in-laws at the end of March, staying within spitting distance of the Firth.

I know Scotland pretty well, but not from a birding point of view.

At the minute, I can see lots of potential birding opps around the Firth, and on Tarbet Ness, and perhaps a trip up some of the local glens.

Any birding must does in the area about then?

Do you have access to a car?

South of the Cromarty Firth:

Look for red kites and buzzards all around the Black Isle.
Check tides and have a look for sea ducks at Udale Bay.
Walk from Munlochy to Munlochy Bay and Craigiehowe - get up early and look for otters.
Chanonry Point/Rosemarkie check for dolphins at high tide and seals at any time.

North of the firth:

Head up any of the straths and look out for golden eagles and divers on the lochs.

Further afield:
Coignafearn/Findhorn valley (20mins drive from 'sneckie) for peregrines/goldens/+ poss. other large raptors

Culbin forest for crested tit, red squirrel, pine marten, scottish crossbill. Maybe merlin or hen harrier on the sands at this time of year.

I'll second EsmondB.

Black Isle was good for Red Kites. RSPB Udale Bay should be good for waders, ducks and lads of Hooded Crow - it was in June.

Forness on the south side of the Black Isle was pretty good too and is known for it's porpoises coming in with the tide.

Culbin Forest on the south side of the Firth was good for Golden Eagle, Crested Tits and Cuckoo (it was June).

See Scotland 2003 part 3 trip report - Reports 1 -3 were more Speyside based - still worth a visit for Crossbill and Crested Tit around Loch Garten - maybe a bit early for Osprey and lekking Capers. South side Loch Morlich was our best birding area on both years visits.

Don't forget the Upper Findhorn Valley for quite a few species too. Stonechat, Redstart, Golden Eagle and Buzzard - though you should see plenty of them around anyway.

May 2002 trip report

Last edited:
Thanks Esmond and Ian... yep I'll have the car so anything within 100 miles is feasible I guess, although if I can keep the driving down to about 30mins each way... all the better.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back