• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lowepro Field Station (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Hi,
I am considering the belt pack Lowepro Field Station. I was looking for sth. like this since a while, as an alternative to a rucksack. I think especially in sweaty climates, a belt pack might be more comfy.
Now while the field station looks good, it's a bit over-fitted with gimmicks for my needs, the same bag without all these compartments would do it.

Has anyone experience with this bag. Or with a similar but cheaper alternative?

Thanks, Florian

Attachments

• FieldStation_UK_Book.jpg
    FieldStation_UK_Book.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 263
I have seen the field station in the store. It really is quite large/heavy for the gear it packs. To carry the same gear I just wear a vest I got from Big Pockets. But even this can get pretty warm on the back in direct sun.

You might try looking into lumbar packs. They come in a wide range of sizes and designs from a number of different mfgrs.
Will

I have this bag. I like it and hate it, if thats possible. It will hold my binoculars, bottle of water and a field guide, plus other little things. It is very well made and has some great padding within it. The problem I have with it is that if I overload it, field guide, then you really need to cinch it down to keep it up, or else you will find that when it decides to slip off towards the ground it may just take your pants with it. Trust me I know.
I did talk to Lowepro's customer service and ask about a shoulder strap for some extra support, keeping most of the weight on the belt. They don't recommend you putting one on, but there is some attachment points that would work.

The problem I have with it is that if I overload it, field guide, then you really need to cinch it down to keep it up, or else you will find that when it decides to slip off towards the ground it may just take your pants with it.

Man, why do we birdwatchers have to make sacrifices all the time for our hobby?! Well made doesn't necessarily mean sophisticated, that's for sure.

Steve

Take a look at the Country Innovation Field Pouch -I suspect it's a little bit smaller, but it'll carry bins, field guide and a few other bits and pieces with no problems.

I have one, and I tend to use it when out looking for moths and butterflies. It easily carries my folding net, all the field guides I need and a dozen collecting pots.

I bought it now before my trip to Cambodia and Vietnam, because I did not come across another similar sized and cheaper belt bag.

I quite like it.

I removed the padding for the binocular and the note pad and left the separation part in. Like this it has a lot of space for all things needed on half a day out (water, field guide, notebook, ipod, compact camera, binocular and some other small stuff). It is comfortable to carry (didnt't loose my pants with it, maybe depends on one's anatomy ;) ). It was pefect on these very sweaty days in Cambodia last week, as it left the back free unlike with a backpack.

The main drawback is that it certainly looks silly waering this thing. But in Cambodian forest with a Black-headed Woodpecker in front of me, this did not bother me too much.

Florian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back