• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

From the Moors Pool Dave reports:

Swift, 2 Mute Swans (+ 5 cygnets), 17 Little Grebe (10 adults, 7 juveniles + 4 chicks), Treecreeper.

Full WeBS counts to follow.

quiet evening 8-P 18.30 - 19.30 showers
3 Curlew sandpiper, 15 Avocet,Greenshank,18 Curlew LRP+juv ,Common sand,Green sand,Snipe,Lapings ,all in front of the hide at one time or another,BHG 500c,LBBG 3.
pic 3. Four waders in one photo.
Challenge for the week for all the Togs out there,how many waders in one photo can you get?

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    581.1 KB · Views: 56
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    567.6 KB · Views: 59
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 64
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 46
Results of today's WeBS count courtesy of Dave J:

2 Mute Swan, 362 Canada Goose, 26 Greylag Goose, 2 Egyptian Geese, 7 Shelduck, 19 Shoveler, 3 Gadwall, 517 Mallard, 73 Teal, 73 Tufted Duck, 3 GC Grebe, 17 Little Grebe, 2 Cormorant, 1 Little Egret, 184 Coot, 38+ Moorhen, Water Rail, 19 Avocet, 1 Greenshank, 3 Curlew Sand, 5 Green Sand, 5 Common Sand, 78 Lapwing, 2 LR Plover, 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Snipe, 19 Curlew, 1160 BH Gull, 14 LBB Gull, 3 Herring Gull, 8 Common Tern, Kingfisher

Bar-tailed Godwit reported yesterday by Malcolm Spriggs via BirdTrack. If anyone knows Malcolm could they get confirmation of the sighting - been a couple of inland records in recent days.

Last edited:
A few pics of the Curlew Sandpipers....0645-1030

Other highlights...

Peregrine (2)
Snipe (1)
Green Sandpiper (5)
Common Sandpiper (3)
Avocet (14)
Lapwing (40)
BH Gull (200+)
Greenshank (1)
LRP (1+1 juv)
LBB Gull (3 + 6 juv)
Redstart (1)
Jay (2)
Spotted Flycatcher (3)
Lesser Whitethroat (2)
Shelduck (7 juv)

Attachments

• IMG_20160822_173453-1.jpg
    IMG_20160822_173453-1.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20160822_172953-1.jpg
    IMG_20160822_172953-1.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20160822_173630-1.jpg
    IMG_20160822_173630-1.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 66
This morning at the Flashes as per Terry Hinett:

3 Curlew Sand, Greenshank, 17 Avocet, 4 Green Sand, 2 Commom Sand, 3 LR Plover, 7 juv Shelduck, 60 Teal, 2 Snipe, Spotted Flycatcher, Redstart

Tuesday work party

Paul and the crew will be finishing off strimming in front of the west hide ( sluice channels) and if time allows in front of concrete hide

Meetings tomorrow

The Trust will be visiting tomorrow at both the Flashes and Amy's Marsh du ring the morning. They will be taking a contractor to look over the areas for possible future remedial work. They won't be going out on to the Flashes but might go out into Amy's Marsh as there aren't too many birds there .

At 7pm the management committee will be meeting in the Avocet hide, to discuss the way forward in tackling the reeds problem and water levels. Hopefully this won't cause any inconvenience to anyone. :t:

Autumn All-Dayer

I have just confirmed with Steve Nuttall at Belvide that he is taking part . He informs me that Graham Mant at Blithfield might also be getting a team together. I will try and get a few others up for it . Put it in your diary:t:

Last edited:
I have just confirmed with Steve Nuttall at Belvide that he is taking part . He informs me that Graham Mant at Blithfield might also be getting a team together. I will try and get a few others up for it . Put it in your diary:t:

Just a reminder that the Autumn All-Day Birdwatch is Saturday 3rd September from dawn (and before) to dusk. As usual bacon sarnies - and hopefully cake - will be available on the day. Sighting sheets will be at the main hide at the Flashes and at the west hide at the Moors Pool. Mike will hopefully post details of previous years' performances before he goes on holiday. Hope to see as many of you as possible on the day.

Sunday isnt looking too bad either - southerly winds and further rain. However even on a small reserve like Upton the key is constant coverage - if I hadnt have taken Friday afternoon off those Little Terns would have passed through unnoticed. Big wader numbers massing on the east coast eg 220+ Curlew Sand at Frampton Marsh plus a steady stream of drift migrants reaching these shores.

3 Curlew Sand still this morning at the Flashes as per JTB.

No Greenshank but 14 Avocet (just need them to hang on another eleven days for the All Dayer), 3 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand and Snipe.

Will check out stats for long-staying Curlew Sand this evening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back