• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

14 Sooty Shearwaters and a Manxie rptd past Sheringham 6:40-10:40am also Pom Skuas, 21 Arctic Skuas and 9 Great Skuas. Sabines Gull y/day

Cheers,

Would be interested to know if anyone else has seen the Brents seen yesterday around Cley Channel (west of coastguards)

What is the usual return date for these on the north coast?

Matt

Last edited:
8 med gulls (7 ads, 1 2ndW) at the Heacham south beach roost last night.

10 great and 6 arctic skuas past Titchwell in an hour in the morning.

Paul

My mother had 1 male stonechat and 1 juv stonechat, 1 whinchat, 2 common whitethroats in the brambles along main beach path at Holme at 9.30am today.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi all. Had a couple of short seawatching spells from Happisburgh at the start of the week, saw nothing to do cart-wheels over though. Highlights from 6:15 - 7:45 on Monday 3rd were single Sooty Shearwater, 12 Arctic Skua and a long range shearwater sp. that had to remain a probable Manx as it disappeared further into the heat haze. 2 Red-throated Diver, 4 Pintail, 3 Teal plus single Wigeon and Common Scoter.
6:00 - 7:00 on Tuesday 3rd was better with 6 Sooty Shearwater, 2 Bonxie, 2 Arctic Skua, 3 Fulmar but more wildfowl & waders. These included 9 Pintail, 75 Teal, 43 Wigeon, 20 Scoter, 7 Shelduck, 4 Mallard, 4 Pochard and 4 Oystercatcher, 8 Grey Plover, 14 Dunlin,53 Knot and 3 Sanderling. Less than 100 Gannet and small numbers of Sandwich and 'commic' Tern were also seen both days.

James

Last edited:
I'm hopless at identifying waders. Can someone please tell me what this bird is – photographed on Thursday afternoon at Hickling. The orange/yellow legs but black beak are causing me problems.

Ron

Attachments

• wader.jpg
    wader.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 101
I'm hopless at identifying waders. Can someone please tell me what this bird is – photographed on Thursday afternoon at Hickling. The orange/yellow legs but black beak are causing me problems.

Ron

My guess...
Looks like a yellow-legged Greenshank to me?!? :/
But looking at some other pics on Google, some other Greenshanks show this too. So, i'll say Greenshank.

dave...

Thanks for the replies, Dave and Nigel. Greenshank did seem most likely but I couldn't see any examples with yellow legs in my books.

It's the first time we've been to Hickling nature reserve and we were very impressed although there wasn't a great deal about. We did get some good views of two Litttle Egrets busy fishing in front of the Cadbury hide and several woodpeckers, including a Green and Great Spotted on the same tree. Also a rather tatty looking Marsh Harrier wheeling about later in the evening.

The other high spot was literally dozens and dozens of Common Lizards sunning themselves on the wooden edging of the boardwalks. Some of them were really tiny.

We've spent all week trying to locate some Bearded Tits but haven't had any success so far. I think it's been too windy. Never mind we'll just keep trying.

Ron

Had good views of the Pectoral Sand this evening (still present at c. 8:00pm) also one juvenile Curlew Sand, 14 Spotted Redshanks, 3 Whimbrel and a Greenshank, as well as great views of a Hobby hawking insects low overhead. No sign of the Spoonbill... Did anybody else there today have the White-Fronted Goose in with the Greylags and Canadas that were mobile but mostly on the brackish marsh. Light was fading fast by the time I picked it up but it looked suspiciously like Lesser White-Fronted Goose...

Cheers,

Had good views of the Pectoral Sand this evening (still present at c. 8:00pm)

Cheers,

Hi Connor

I finished work 3pm today and nearly went to Titchwell to see Pectoral Sandpiper, but had to do some boring things like cleaning out my fridge freezer which is the 2nd one delivered, 1st was faulty and discovered so was this one, cutting a long, long story short, do not buy anything from Pixmania. Its fine if it not faulty, but if it is, it takes forever to replace, took 2 weeks to get this one! Will be getting full refund on this one and buying direct from my local Curry's store, wish I had in first place now!

Anyway, one good thing today, my new bins have arrived. After much homework and looking through several pairs. I still really want the Swarovski EL 8x32's!!! but my close 2nd choice which were considerably cheaper were some Leica Trinovids 8x32 BN from Kays Optical (excellent service). I was so lucky, I found they are really difficult to get hold of now and the ones I did find were all priced at £779 approx, but Kays Optical had one last pair at old stock price for £679!!!!!!!! Wilkinsons has them at £650 but they are now out of stock and so are Warehouse Express at £779!. Ordered yesterday late afternoon and arrived today, will enjoy using them tomorrow!!!! Also thanks to Cleyspy who very kindly gave me some very helpful tips.

Good birding tomorrow everyone.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back