• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American or Hybrid Wigeon - Kirkwall, Orkney - 10 October 2017 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

We were heading for our flight so could give this bird only a cursory glance. It did not feel right. I'll look more closely at pictures and try and articulate our concerns but could the rufous in the flanks and the lack of green in the head pattern be a sign of a bird coming out of the eclipse after all?

It was seen around 9.45am from the Police Station distantly on the Peedie Sea/Model Yacht Lake with a handful of Eurasian Wigeon.

Many thanks for all views and opinions

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Wigeon sp 01.jpg
    Wigeon sp 01.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Wigeon sp 02.jpg
    Wigeon sp 02.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Wigeon sp 03.jpg
    Wigeon sp 03.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 69
  • Wigeon sp 04.jpg
    Wigeon sp 04.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Wigeon sp 05.jpg
    Wigeon sp 05.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 85
Doesn't look like a pure American. Way too much rufous on the crown and in the face.

Can't speak to hybrid or eclipse Eurasian.

Interesting bird - not easy to see in the pictures, but the rear flanks look greyish, head too many rufous tones and cheek more buff than grey. Get a number of Am/Eu hybrids (3-4 birds per year) in the Wigeon flocks near me - this looks like one to me

This will be the Wigeon/American Wigeon hybrid thats been on the Peedie Sea, Kirkwall for the past couple of winters.

They come over here . . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back