• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

common Gull (1 Viewer)

gremlin72

People like this shot and it only cost me an order of french fries and an hour to get this shot. A lot of people like it for some reason or another :h?:

Gull.jpg

Welcome to Birdforum, Gremlin.

Jane, I'd be interested to know the answer to that too! I once asked here about the extent of natural variation in the wing-tip colour of pure Glaucous-winged Gulls versus the various hybrids and (not altogether surprisingly) never got an answer!

For an unquesionably pure Glaucous-winged see the lovely boy below, who was eyeing me eating a pizza (pity about the reflection).

Jason

Attachments

• Glaucous-winged Gull.jpg
    Glaucous-winged Gull.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 180
Hi Gremlin and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff.
I daren't comment on the identity of your gulls, as I'm invariably wrong with this group.

Chris

Jane asked: Are these Glaucous-winged Gulls?
Yes, they are I took that photo in Seattle, Washington at Ivar’s Pier 54. Ivars is a common Seattle landmark tourist trap where the tourist feed gulls French fries. (Oh Yum)

Glaucous winged gulls are the most common in the Pacific Northwest region, in fact I don’t know of one place in Seattle, Washington where you will not see a Glaucous winged gull, generally called a “seagull” or “flying rat” in Seattle.

Glaucous winged gulls are not liked by convertible car owners, everywhere.

gremlin72 said:
Glaucous winged gulls are the most common in the Pacific Northwest region, in fact I don’t know of one place in Seattle, Washington where you will not see a Glaucous winged gull, generally called a “seagull” or “flying rat” in Seattle.
Guess where I took my photo!

Jason

Lovely shot,Gremlin and welcome to BF.No Gulls of any description are welcomed by car owners.I live by the sea,our cars are "hit " every day,also washing which is hung out to dry,but I love them.I like their snowy white plumage,and their raucous cries.It would be a very dull,and very quiet world without them.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back