• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Minox bl 8x44 HD (1 Viewer)

redleg

Hi

I see from my internet searches that the new Minox HD series have, after a number of delays, finally arrived. Has anyone had chance to examine a pair yet? I'm after a pair in this price range with a large fov and specifically, very good low light performance (emerging bats from roosts) and these,on paper look like they might fit the bill, so I would welcome any experience from members, my current, and much beloved swift 828 are a little narrow for the job in hand.

As an aside, I seem to be regularly hitting the limit of travel for focus these days, which I can only attribute to my deteriorating eyesight, perhaps accelerated by a recent eye injury. Is that likely to be the case, or another reason? I'm not a spectacle wearer (yet..)

Many thanks

Many thanks Steve, I will eagerly await the reports of anyone who has taken a look at them over the weekend.

I posted a couple of lines in my BirFair notes thread. I liked them, but didn't spend enough time with them to sort out any of the detail. I imagined the polycarbonate construction might be a weight saver but that's probably offset by the 44mm objective. It felt good in the hand and the mechanical elements worked well. There was a bit of 'stiction' when adjusting the hinge but no real quibbles. A nice wide view with reasonable if not sharp edges. Not a good day for spotting CA but definitely better than some I tried. Perhaps a shade creamy on colour balance and a good level of sharpness for the price. I thought the design was pretty tidy, and the 8x33 in particular looked good.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back