• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketch (2 Viewers)

Good shout Jackie - Katrina's new publication is eagerly awaited. Any images she can spare would be greatly received here.

Last edited:
Here's more about Katrina's book - in her own words...

After hours: Katrina and Hein and ‘The Unfeathered Bird’.

Six o’ clock on a Tuesday evening; and newly-married Katrina van Grouw is returning from work. Husband Hein is in the kitchen, bent over the sink, while a pan bubbles away on the stove behind him. Domestic bliss! “Mmm. Oystercatcher.” Katrina smiles as she peers into the pan. Hein puts down the partially cooked magpie he’s picking at, and kisses his wife. Katrina takes a skull from the dining room cupboard and retires upstairs to draw it.

“What an interesting job you two have” said a dinner guest in well-disguised alarm. We diligently explained that although our job also happens to be with dead birds, as bird curators at the Natural History Museum’s collections at Tring, this is in fact an entirely unconnected venture for a completely different purpose. “Katrina’s an artist”, pointed out Hein, as though that rationalised any strange behaviour. “And I’m just helping her.”

Being an artist is actually my profession. It’s the museum that’s the ‘day job’, and I’ve been self-employed, as an artist, since graduating in Natural History Illustration from The Royal College of Art nearly 20 years ago. College years were spent on endless bird dissection: skinning, mounting specimens, cleaning and articulating skeletons. And drawing; always drawing. There were several pet projects: For example, there was a certain Mallard that I found dead on the beach, and I spent several months lovingly stripping her down layer by layer, drawing every step of the way in just the same way as Stubbs did his horses, then cleaning and re-assembling the bones. If you’re going to spend several months with a dead duck, it’s got to have a name, so I christened her Amy. Amy is now quite famous, by duck standards. After Amy came a pelican that I prepared during an expedition to Senegal then imported back to the UK.

It was about that time that I decided that I wanted to produce a book of anatomical drawings for bird artists. That ambition has stayed with me ever since then, through countless letters of rejection: from art publishers who said that my proposal was too birdy, and bird publishers who said my proposal was too arty. Only recently, 20 years on, a free-thinking bird-art publisher, Ian Langford of Langford Press, saw my drawings and said “I want you to do a book about that”!

I didn’t marry taxidermist and ornithologist Hein van Grouw so that he’d prepare skeletons for my book. Or use his extensive contacts in the European avicultural world to obtain specimens for me. But it certainly helped. As soon as we were back from our honeymoon the boiling began. Pans of stuff you wouldn’t want to look at too closely began to appear on the stove and boxes and more boxes of bones appeared in various stages of cleaning, bleaching and articulation. Gradually the bones began to turn into birds: strutting rooks, displaying lapwings and a fantastic array of pigeon varieties of seemingly impossible proportions.

The book now has a title, ‘The Unfeathered Bird’, and the drawings are piling up nicely. It’s expected to be on the shelves by August next year. It won’t make me rich, and it’s mostly a labour of love. But it’ll be worth every moment to see my dream finally come true. No two days are the same in the life of a natural history curator, but after the day’s work is finished at the museum is where the fun really begins.

Attachments

• rook skeleton.jpg
    rook skeleton.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 85
what fun- always striking to see how front-heavy birds look when they lose the tail and undertail feather masses which to the human eye give them their balance

Oh what a book it will be! will save my pennies starting now, hope it's not too expensive

Thanks Jackie for sharing it, tell her she has support

Only a week to go until BirdFair. Last time I posted about it some of you said you wouldn't be able to go.... but you can still see it courtesy of BirdFair TV (see link below). BirdFair have teamed up with Digital Spring to broadcast all the action, including interviews, exhibits and events. My stand and my Spotlight session will both be filmed, so if you've ever wanted to see me create a penguin painting now's your chance! Looking forward to it.

http://www.birdfair.tv/about/

Still working on a golden plover painting. Hope to post it on here soon.

Thanks for the link there, it's probably the only way I'll be able to get to the birdfair!

Good luck with the show.

Mike

Hi Jakie, since I am fond of feathers I love yours!
I like collecting and painting feathers too...
great works all around as well

How did it go Jackie?

Phew! I'm still so tired after a hectic, but really good, BirdFair. Had a fantastic time meeting friends from BF, Twitter and Facebook. Great to put names and faces together. Filming for BirdFair TV went well and I can say I enjoyed the Spotlight demonstration now that it's over! Had a double rather than single stand this year and was really pleased with the way it looked. Sales: ok - better than last year, and better than I feared but not as good as I'd like. Everyone was in the same situation; people are buying fewer luxury items in the present economic climate. Much better awareness of my work, and quite a few opportunities to follow up. Loved painting the mural as usual. Lots more details on my blog posts yesterday and today. My exhibitor video is now on BirdFair TV and I'm on the Day 3 Round up video too. The Spotlight video will go live later in the week.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back