• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (4 Viewers)

I had a digiscoper say to me that one advantage of using a micro 4/3rds, like the Lumix G1, as opposed to a dslr, is the absence of a moving mirror, creating shake at the moment of the shot. She said that it's also nice, compared to digicams, because the sensors are larger, but the micro 4/3rds, is still light weight. I came here today to ask opinions on this very subject. I like the G1 because of it's huge, articulating LCD.

I'm trying to decide between an astro scope, with the finer focuser, and a DSLR or Micro 4/3rds... and/or a Spotting Scope. Mostly, I want this on the premises, where I live, but occasionally, there will be an outing, and I'll wish I had an alternative setup.

On my income, I'll be happy if I have ONE. Still thinking, playing with my cheap scope and cameras, shopping for things I can't buy yet, and always looking out for a "used" deal.

I had a digiscoper say to me that one advantage of using a micro 4/3rds, like the Lumix G1, as opposed to a dslr, is the absence of a moving mirror, creating shake at the moment of the shot. She said that it's also nice, compared to digicams, because the sensors are larger, but the micro 4/3rds, is still light weight. I came here today to ask opinions on this very subject. I like the G1 because of it's huge, articulating LCD.

I'm trying to decide between an astro scope, with the finer focuser, and a DSLR or Micro 4/3rds... and/or a Spotting Scope. Mostly, I want this on the premises, where I live, but occasionally, there will be an outing, and I'll wish I had an alternative setup.

On my income, I'll be happy if I have ONE. Still thinking, playing with my cheap scope and cameras, shopping for things I can't buy yet, and always looking out for a "used" deal.

If your budget only allows one, then go for the scope.
Cameras are improving much faster than scopes are, so you'll be able to buy much more camera for your money three years from now, whereas your scope will still cost about the same.
If you must take pictures too, add a cheap point and shoot camera. You can get decent pictures just holding it against the eye piece of the scope. Of course it won't be National Geographic quality, but it will still be way better than a speck on the image that you'd get without the scope.

From what I've seen if your looking for a camera that you can have a nice gallery on BF and print 8 X 10 the P & S is totally adequate. A search on the gallery page will show fine results from cameras like the sony w350 $125). It may take a little time to get there using the scope but one has something to work towards.

Sigma 30mm f2.8 for M4/3

I have been looking for a digiscoping camera with viewfinder to replace my P6000.
Tried 3 different lenses in the shop on a Lumix G3 mounted with a DCA onto my 25-50 Swaro eypiece:

Leica 25mm f1.4; sever vignetting :C. Answers an earlier post in this thread.
Leica 45mm macro; no vignetting but magnification too high for my taste.
Pana 20mm pancake not available at that time.
Sigma30mm-f2.8 EX-DN: No vignetting|>|

I went home with a Lumix G3 plus the Sigma 30mm f2.8 EX-DN M4/3.
In the field it is a real pleasure to work with this combination. The main reason for that is the electronic viewfinder and the speed and precision of the AF.
I am not realy convinced yet that it performs better optically than my trusted P6000 on the same scoop and on my previous scope (Kowa 663 with fixe eyepieces). But this could also be due to the fact that I have to get used to the camera and the software. First pictures, jpegs' straight form the camera and just sized down and resharpened using Google's Picasa, I have used in the two most recent posts on my PolderBlog can be found here:

http://poldernatuurblokhoven.blogspot.com/2012/03/en-dan-voluit.html
Or:
http://poldernatuurblokhoven.blogspot.com/2012/03/compleet.html

Please note the stubbles surrounding the lapwings displaying: these certainly would have given me an issue with AF on the P6000.

Are there more seasoned digiscopers around on this forum who have already tried this lens yet?
Regards,
Sjerp

Last edited:
Hi Neil,
long time since I have been up here, I must say I am imprest as always with your results.
I am in the process of buying the Panasonic GX1, and had it in mind for digiscoping, hence my visit.
I have been away from digiscoping for a long while and would like to get back into again, still have the scopes etc. After reading this thread I should imagine the GX1 would handle it just as well. Ernie

Sigma f2.8 30mm on DCA Adaptor?

I note with interest Sjerp's comment on his earlier experience with the Sigma f2.8 30mm on the DCA adaptor. Having been disappointed with the results from the Panasonic f1.7 20mm lens on my GF1, I have not digiscoped for a long time. Now I wonder if the Sigma lens offers a way back in.
Sjerp, are you still happy with this combination?
Regards
David

Hi Neil,
long time since I have been up here, I must say I am imprest as always with your results.
I am in the process of buying the Panasonic GX1, and had it in mind for digiscoping, hence my visit.
I have been away from digiscoping for a long while and would like to get back into again, still have the scopes etc. After reading this thread I should imagine the GX1 would handle it just as well. Ernie

Ernie,
Glad to hear from you again.
A friend of mine in Florida is using the Panasonic GX1 ( not to be confused with the Canon G1X) and getting great results. Have a look at her stuff on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/focused-on-birds/7778181428/in/photostream

Neil

Beautiful shots, Neil. I'm thinking of taking the digiscope plunge, and these are encouraging.

For the latest cameras to look at , consider the Panasonic GH4 and GX8, Sony A6000 and ILSC 6300 or one of the Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras.
There are good threads here on them.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back