• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch or Celestron Noble (1 Viewer)

JAD

Okay, I've narrowed my choices for new binoculars to the Nikon Monarch 10x42 and the Celestron Noble 10x42. I need 'waterproof' and 'shock resistant' because I do a lot of my birding from a kayak. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Jim

Well, you can't go wrong there. You pick! ;)

I can't think of anything but to see the warranty of both in print. My Monarchs just came with a 25 year warranty in the box, no life time. Mail order.

Last edited:
Tero said:
Well, you can't go wrong there. You pick! ;)

I can't think of anything but to see the warranty of both in print. My Monarchs just came with a 25 year warranty in the box, no life time. Mail order.

Tero, the 25 year warranty means you can send it in if it has any workmanship or other non-abuse caused porblems and they will fix it for free. As far as I know, all Nikon binoculars also come with the liftetime no-fault warranty. This means that you can send in and they will fix the binoc for 10 or 20 dollars or whatever it is no what what has happened to it. So really, you are protected by two warranties. The Nikon website should have info on the no-fault. Not sure about the Celestron, but they definitely have the no-fault warranty.

As far as differences between the Monarch and the Noble. The Monarch has a closer interpupillary diameter than the Noble. So if you have narrow set eyes, go for the Monarch. Also, I think the Celestrons may be more ruggedly built. At least my Noble 8x32 is.

For what it is worth I have a decent level of experience specifically with the 10x Monarchs. I bought my first pair about three years ago and was astounded by the image quality of them. Ofcourse, the ergonomics are also great but the image itself is what sold me on them. I returned them after about a year (you have to love Cabelas return policy) because of the looseness of the central hinge. I went through a few pairs of other bins not long after returning them but ended up wanting to try another pair of the 10x Monarchs. I subsequently bought two more pairs and returned both of them because of the optical quality. Center field resolution was great but there was a great deal of distortion over the outer 1/3rd to 1/2 of the field. It was disconcerting to say the least.

Fast forward about 20 bins since and I end up wanting to give the 10x Monarchs another go. The distributor for the shop I work for recently started carrying them so I ordered a pair. I know I should have known better with the issue of buying bins before actually handling the specific pair I was buying but the price was too attractive. After they came in and I used them for a day or so I noticed that I just couldn't get the diopter adjustment to the point where I felt relaxed looking through both barrels at the same time. Both looked in focus to my individual eyes but when I looked at them together I experienced a bit of eyestrain.

I was guessing the barrels were out of alignment but decided to see if there was anything else I could find which may have been causing the fatigue. After laying them on a flat surface and spending a great deal of time looking at the complete image in each barrel I noticed that the right barrel had significantly more distortion in it and specifically in the 10 to 11 o'clock position. I subsequently returned them and went back to Cabelas to find a pair that did not exhibit any optical problems. I found that pair and have been happily using them ever since. I tend to believe that I am an "8x guy" but I really do not mind using the 10x Monarchs at all. The optical quality they deliver at that price coupled with their lightweight, ergonomic build make them truly something special in that price range.

Sorry for rambling.

I have not had those hinge problems with any of my assorted porros and 2 roof prisms. Typically, the part that starts to wear first is the eye cup. So if there is any difference, that might be where one is better, the plastic external parts.

FrankD said:
For what it is worth I have a decent level of experience specifically with the 10x Monarchs. I bought my first pair about three years ago and was astounded by the image quality of them. Ofcourse, the ergonomics are also great but the image itself is what sold me on them. I returned them after about a year (you have to love Cabelas return policy) because of the looseness of the central hinge. I went through a few pairs of other bins not long after returning them but ended up wanting to try another pair of the 10x Monarchs. I subsequently bought two more pairs and returned both of them because of the optical quality. Center field resolution was great but there was a great deal of distortion over the outer 1/3rd to 1/2 of the field. It was disconcerting to say the least.

Fast forward about 20 bins since and I end up wanting to give the 10x Monarchs another go. The distributor for the shop I work for recently started carrying them so I ordered a pair. I know I should have known better with the issue of buying bins before actually handling the specific pair I was buying but the price was too attractive. After they came in and I used them for a day or so I noticed that I just couldn't get the diopter adjustment to the point where I felt relaxed looking through both barrels at the same time. Both looked in focus to my individual eyes but when I looked at them together I experienced a bit of eyestrain.

I was guessing the barrels were out of alignment but decided to see if there was anything else I could find which may have been causing the fatigue. After laying them on a flat surface and spending a great deal of time looking at the complete image in each barrel I noticed that the right barrel had significantly more distortion in it and specifically in the 10 to 11 o'clock position. I subsequently returned them and went back to Cabelas to find a pair that did not exhibit any optical problems. I found that pair and have been happily using them ever since. I tend to believe that I am an "8x guy" but I really do not mind using the 10x Monarchs at all. The optical quality they deliver at that price coupled with their lightweight, ergonomic build make them truly something special in that price range.

Sorry for rambling.
Frank,

Sounds like the perfect "sample variation" argument and a justification for buying high-end optics with stricter manufacturing tolerances. As my eyes continue to age, I truly appreciate the precision built into my Nikon SE and Leica Ultravid.

John

I could not agree more John. Though I think it is good advice to try every bin before you buy I think it becomes even more of a point when the price point starts to drop.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back