Thread: Racing pigeons
View Single Post
Old Wednesday 28th July 2004, 14:54   #1
weather
Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow

Racing pigeons

This morning there were 2 men, standing by a small pick-up truck, with 3 boxes on the ground in front of them in the parking lot where I work. Curiosity got the better of me, so I lumbered over to ask what they were up to. They said they were racing pigeons.

I don't want to get into the big discussion of caging birds and all that....I'm just reflecting on a nice experience.

Anyway, they said they lived about 2 hours away and that the birds would beat them home. They finally released the birds (about 30) and they circled and circled. One of the men explained that if it wasn't overcast, the birds would just head straight for home and not circle at all, but now they have to get there bearings first. After about 5 minutes of circling. they finally headed North toward home. A weird thing to witness on a cool morning. I've heard of racing pigeons, but never seen it.

How the birds know how to get back is truly amazing...

Mike

Music blog:
MySpace Music

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation