• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Tick Rules (1 Viewer)

h14nha

Hi Everyone,
I've never kept any lists, I wouldn't be that successful even if I did as my ID skills are poor. Anyway, last week I had an operation which has rendered me unable to walk very far, so whilst I'm getting better, I thought I would do a Garden List ( even my ID skills are up to that )
What is generally regarded as a garden tick ? Is it a visual ID overhead or in next doors tree or does it actually have to land in my garden to be classified ?
Thanks in advance,
Ian

Hi Everyone,
I've never kept any lists, I wouldn't be that successful even if I did as my ID skills are poor. Anyway, last week I had an operation which has rendered me unable to walk very far, so whilst I'm getting better, I thought I would do a Garden List ( even my ID skills are up to that )
What is generally regarded as a garden tick ? Is it a visual ID overhead or in next doors tree or does it actually have to land in my garden to be classified ?
Thanks in advance,
Ian

For me, it's anything seen or heard in or from the house or garden, thus including all flyovers etc.

I do note separately birds actually using the garden for a much shorter list. Waxwing gave me a dilemma, though, as the birds were in a tree which was rooted in the neighbours garden against the fence but they were on branches which overhung my garden. I ruled 'in', as I think most would.

Graham

For me, it's anything seen or heard in or from the house or garden, thus including all flyovers etc.

I do note separately birds actually using the garden for a much shorter list. Waxwing gave me a dilemma, though, as the birds were in a tree which was rooted in the neighbours garden against the fence but they were on branches which overhung my garden. I ruled 'in', as I think most would.

Graham

Exactly the same for me too, and for most birders I know who keep garden lists. Some do keep it strictly to birds seen within the boundaries of their actual property. Its up to you!

Add me to the consensus, and I would add that I have found garden listing waaaay too addictive. I started when we bought a house four years back and then started a family, severely restricting my travelling opportunitites (in a much more agreeable way than Ian, who I hope recovers quickly and fully). Now I reach a stage when I occasionally get the opportunity to go further afield I find myself getting paranoid about missing something going over the garden! Just holding out for a Waxwing this winter; plenty of good berry crops in sight of the garden....

James

I'm with everybody else on this. In fact, I’ve even been known to put birds on my yard list that I could have seen from my yard but didn’t because I wasn’t actually in the yard at the time.

Add me to the consensus, and I would add that I have found garden listing waaaay too addictive.

To right! Always been am addict no matter where I've lived. My current garden list is the fourth highest in Cambs (8 years and on 133) - so now its competitive! Not that I have much chance of catching up the three ahead of me since I'm the only one of us not to overlook standing water so have a real handicap.

I'm with everybody else on this. In fact, I’ve even been known to put birds on my yard list that I could have seen from my yard but didn’t because I wasn’t actually in the yard at the time.

I nearly had to do this with a Red-legged Partridge I spotted as I walked down the street but I sprinted back to the house in order to look back at it over the garden fence!

Graham

I nearly had to do this with a Red-legged Partridge I spotted as I walked down the street but I sprinted back to the house in order to look back at it over the garden fence!

Graham

That’s why you need to adopt my more relaxed approach, to save all that running. ;) I have several birds on my yard list which I spotted from the car when driving up to the house, including one (Black Phoebe) that I would have had to have been looking out of a second-story window to have actually seen from the property.

For the majority of us with poor gardens, if we kept it strictly to within the confines of the garden then it would be very boring! I think therefore most do count anything seen from the garden. Clearly this contradicts with say county listing - there's no way I'd tick something if it was actually in the neighbouring county. There are no "rules" as such - do what suits you best.

P.S. My garden list is a paltry 38 in over 4 years. It does include Indian Pitta, but I didn't see that myself |=(|

What is the general thinking on this one? Obviously it is up to the individual, but what do most do? Only asking because this would add me Osprey and Red Kite;)

What is the general thinking on this one? Obviously it is up to the individual, but what do most do? Only asking because this would add me Osprey and Red Kite;)

Case by case I would say, based on what your conscience will allow! I'll give you two personal examples, coincidentally dealing with the two species you mention.

1) In my previous house I'd popped home from work one day for lunch, and was walking back to work when an Osprey flew over. I was at the time walking alongside the back garden fence, but the wrong side of it. Osprey goes on the list, no trouble sleeping at night.

2) Was at the cashpoint, from where I could look up a wooded hillside when a Red Kite drifted by. Now, I can see this hillside from my bedroom window, but we were a bit away from home, and I don't do much of my actual watching from the bedroom window. I did in fact sprint back to see if it would linger, but it didn't, and I never even considered counting it; would've itched. I've since seen Red Kite from the garden proper, so no worries there any more!

James

Hi everyone,
I logged in this morning and was suprised at all the replies I had received. Thanks for them, now I can try to keep myself busy over the next few weeks.
I live on the edge of an estate. There is a row of trees behind all the gardens on my side of the road, which leads to a small decideous wood approx 300m away. Across the other side of the road there is just bare fields behind the houses which lead to common land.
So, I should have a ready supply of birds to potentially, visit my garden, which as a new build house ( 9 years we have lived here ) has a garden 35' x 15' I started thinking of a list yesterday, when I was watching the birds on my feeder and realised I had 4 different species of Tit taking food off my bird table.
Steve Dudley, 138 is absolutley incredible, you must have an extremely powerful telescope :) and superb ID skills. If I hit 38 I'll be chuffed !!
What about the rest of us non superhero birders, how are your garden lists doing, do you live in the city or in the country ?? Anyone else like to quote some figures, I'll have a think and post mine later - dont wait up though, I wont be well into double figures :)
Ian

What about the rest of us non superhero birders, how are your garden lists doing, do you live in the city or in the country ?? Anyone else like to quote some figures, I'll have a think and post mine later - dont wait up though, I wont be well into double figures :)
Ian

Not as good as Steve but my all time rural inland garden list is 99 (78 so far this year). I've had several garden firsts this year: Red Kite, Marsh Tit, Greenshank and Crossbill so still getting new ones on the garden list which is encouraging.

Hope you get better soon but meanwhile continue to enjoy your garden birding during your recovery...........and a scope will certainly help boost the list.

I live in the middle of an estate in Sunderland and my list stands at 75 another member on here lives just along the road and he has a similar number on his list,we both live near the coast and seem to get quite a few interesting migrants.

My Garden List: A Potted History

Moved into our house in Caergwrle, North Wales in October 2006, and four years later have notched up 90 species (most recent addition being a Barnacle Goose with a flock of passing Pinkfeet). My best year total is 75 (so far this year), lowest was 71 in 2008. Highlights have included Alpine Swift, Firecrest, Merlin, Oystercatcher, Shelduck, Goshawk, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Whooper Swan, Brambling, Spotted Flycatcher etc. Also regular Goosander (although they've been damn thin on the ground this year), Dipper, Siskin, Bullfinch, Hobby.

For a more detailed account start here

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=70096

Where are you based Ian?

James

Which given that the location on your profile is Huntingdonshire is no mean feat Steve! ;)

James

I'm quite proud of my garden list. I live in open fenland so have open fields on three sides. Working from home helps a little, but I add very little from the office window now - all recent additions have been whilst I've been outside gardening/pottering. My best find was an American Goldie in the field next to the house and a Pied Fly in the garden (the fly was also a county tick for me!).

Those interested, my garden list can be seen here.

I also managed 111 species in my previous garden in Thetford over nine years. Being within reach of a small river and a breck heath helped (passage waders, Stone-curlew calling at night, Woodlark drifting over the house from the heath, etc).

If I followed fugl's route, I could have added more as I've seen several birds 'near' the house whilst I've been birding on the fen that had I been at my house I would have certainly seen. Each to his own.

James, you're not doing too shabbily are you. Alpine Swift! Great bird to have on your garden list.

When I worked at Fairburn Ings RSPB reserve I kept a garden list for the info centre area in which my accommodation was based - White-throated Needletail (27 May 1985 - date etched in my mind!) was an extreme addition when I had to stand on top of the centre roof to add it to my then garden list!

For others interested in Cambs garden lists look here for a slightly out of date list of some of the top Cambs garden listers. My garden list on here hasn't been updated since I originally submitted it in 2006 (note to self!). Note that Richard Porter in No. 1 spot hasn't lived in the county for some years yet his Grafham Water-based garden total still seems untouchable! Has any other inland garden lister got so many seabirds on their garden list!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back