• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Titchwell January 27th

Today's highlights

Northern harrier - immature male over Thornham saltmarsh
Marsh harrier - 5 left roost this morning
Hen harrier - 2 ringtails left roost this morning, male over Thornham saltmarsh this afternoon
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Twite - 25 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 1 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - 20 on beach by viewing platform

Waxwing - 1 in hedge near Choseley drying barns this afternoon

Paul

Spent my birthday at Sculthorpe Moore Nature Reserve.

Fantastic views of bullfinches, bramblings etc by the bird table at the Fen Hide!

Details on blog!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Of gorse spring is on its way !

The photo shows flowers, already, at Cley NWT VC.

Salts Hole, at Holkham Pines, held drake (rapidly swimming away) and brownhead Goldeneye- just a bit of surprise. Walking around to the dunes gave 4 Sanderling- one depicted.

More Wood Pigeons were getting in a bit of a flap.

The continuing quest for redpolls at Wells had one fly over- and that was it.

Attachments

• 004psesm.jpg
    004psesm.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 009psesm.jpg
    009psesm.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 022psesm.jpg
    022psesm.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 92
Titchwell January 28th

Today's highlights

Northern harrier - immature male over Thornham saltmarsh during the day
Bittern - 1 in main reedbed
Twite - 20 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - 20 on brackish marsh + 55 on beach
Water pipit - 4 on brackish marsh
Med gull - adult in fresh marsh roost
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Pochard - 68 on fresh marsh

Paul

Looks like the Lesser Whitefront has departed from Buckenham/Cantley, where it has gone I'm not sure but 59 Taigas and 200 White fronts have also disappeared since last week, despite no favourable migratory westerly winds. Are they nearby at Berney, Limpenhoe or Haddiscoe Marshes?
Birds of note today were 2 female Goldeneye on the river near Buckenham Hide, Red Necked Grebe halfway along Cantley (at 13.30, so a different bird to the Breydon individual?) and a fine male Goosander flew down river. The main wow factor for today was the immense flock of Wigeon at Buckenham numbering 6420 birds, quite a sight.

Looks like the Lesser Whitefront has departed from Buckenham/Cantley, where it has gone I'm not sure but 59 Taigas and 200 White fronts have also disappeared since last week, despite no favourable migratory westerly winds. Are they nearby at Berney, Limpenhoe or Haddiscoe Marshes?
Birds of note today were 2 female Goldeneye on the river near Buckenham Hide, Red Necked Grebe halfway along Cantley (at 13.30, so a different bird to the Breydon individual?) and a fine male Goosander flew down river. The main wow factor for today was the immense flock of Wigeon at Buckenham numbering 6420 birds, quite a sight.

Back to its owners lake to have its wing clipped again ;) :eek!:

I was surpirsed to see 175 White fronts at holkham yesterday, certainly the first I've seen up on the north coast this winter. Have they just not been reported or are these the missing yare valley birds ?

No sign of the LWF, any Taigas or significant numbers of Whitefronts on Thorpe/Haddiscoe marshes this week: apart from 3000+ pink feet only the Ross's, 2 WF's and a single Barnacle (unless anyone knows better ...)

Apart from geese, good variety of raptors in the area: Red Kite, 5+ C.Buzzards, Peregrine, 5+ M.Harriers & Ringtail Hen on Friday, Rough leg twice during week and thankfully - despite Decembers freeze - 6 barn owls in the air simultaneously earlier this week.

Chris A.

Why should gorse, should gorse be famous ? - with apologies to Bros. Not.

"gorse is famously the only UK plant that flowers every month of the year" (Re: #10808)

Oh dear ! I should know this, what with my name and all.

And I’d got my hopes up: looking forward to March and April, with their never-ending, biting easterly winds and the occasional Chiffchaff and Blackcap.

Ah well ! Back to the geese- except some of those have vamoosed (vagoosed ? )

Titchwell January 29th

Today's highlights

Northern harrier - immature male over Thornham saltmarsh all day
Hen harrier - 2 ringtails over Thornham saltmarsh
Twite - 50 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 1 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - 12 on brackish marsh
Smew - 2 redhead on fresh marsh this afternoon
Hooded crow - 1 on reserve this afternoon but mobile
Red necked grebe - 2 offshore
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 1 on brackish marsh

Paul

Couple of Brambling the highlight from Surlingham today, also a few Golden Plover feeding with Lapwing at Wood's End. Blue and Great Tits noticeably more vocal today, as were at least one Bullfinch, which didn't put in an appearance!
Cheers,
Jim.

Poll result: no votes

Salthouse continued to host the 30 or so Snow Buntings, with their seed frequently replenished. One of the males is starting to look quite black on the back, with another quite nice, too.

No Stonechats along the Cley Beach Road, where part of the fence is being replaced, it seems.

A long search in Wells Woods revealed nul points in the Redpoll ‘election’. There was no sign of any Smew, either; although a Snow Bunting flew over The Bosom.

However, a tree some way along the track west may have been ‘attacked’ by a woodpecker. It attracted my interest as it is at head height; I don’t see many Great Spots that low down.

1. Is it a woodpecker hole ?

2. How common are they this far off the ground ?

Attachments

• 012psesm.jpg
    012psesm.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 016psesm.jpg
    016psesm.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 025psesm.jpg
    025psesm.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 023psesm.jpg
    023psesm.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 88
I was surpirsed to see 175 White fronts at holkham yesterday, certainly the first I've seen up on the north coast this winter. Have they just not been reported or are these the missing yare valley birds ?

I would presume they just haven't been reported. I have seen a flock of White-fronted Geese of varying numbers at Holkham for the past four winters, often level with or west of the far hide. I haven't been this year, but checking through some old emails Lee Evans saw 80 at Holkham in mid-January this year. Last year I have noted c250 from 18/02/10, and in general I have seen more at Holkham than Buckenham.

Had a decent flock of Pink-feet yesterday over Angel Road, Norwich at 4.30 pm and then another decent flock flew over my house in Bowthorpe this morning at 11.30ish.

Chris

Had a decent flock of Pink-feet yesterday over Angel Road, Norwich at 4.30 pm and then another decent flock flew over my house in Bowthorpe this morning at 11.30ish.

Chris

I had two skeins heading NW viewed from Carrow at 4:25pm yesterday Chris. The first I estimated at c.300+, the second, which wasn't too far behind, at c.100+. Their flightline appeared to carry them over Whitlingham CP and then over the city, no doubt over your viewpoint...

James

Pink feet over Norwich

On Friday (yesterday as I write)

2,000 pink feet over Norwich airport 415 or 420. 800 counted in first flock and 1,200+ in a second skein not far behind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back