• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 60mm or 80mm ? (1 Viewer)

markho

Hi
I am about to buy my first scope and I don't understand the difference between the different specs. My price range is about £300 and ther are 2 Nikon scopes in this range . One is the 60mm the other 80mm . What exactly is the difference between thses 2 numbers. I notice the 80mm is more expensive so to a novice you would think it must be the better buy . Is this so? Regards confused birder.

Hi Markho,
A scope with an 80mm objective lens will let in more light than a 60mm one, so you'll see better into shadows and be able to make out detail a bit further into dusk with the 80mm. An 80mm should also resolve more detail than a 60mm, therefore you can use higher magnification eyepieces and actually get more detail rather than just making thing larger (which isn't the same as the former).
As well as an extra financial price to pay for an 80mm, they also weigh quite a bit more.

markho said:
Hi
I am about to buy my first scope and I don't understand the difference between the different specs. My price range is about £300 and ther are 2 Nikon scopes in this range . One is the 60mm the other 80mm . What exactly is the difference between thses 2 numbers. I notice the 80mm is more expensive so to a novice you would think it must be the better buy . Is this so? Regards confused birder.

The Nikon 60mm RAII is quite a nice little scope. I had one with the 20x eyepiece. It was quite sharp, giving a nice image. The 25xw eyepiece is probably a bit better as it has a larger apparent field of view. It was good on nice days, but on dim overcast days and later in the day the smaller objective made itself felt. Good solid build and weatherproof. Only 1Kg weight so it was fairly portable. An excellent first scope!

markho said:
Hi

Looking at the Warehouse Express site there is £40 difference between them, and both are clear and bright to use, though on days that are not particularly bright the 80mm scope gives a brighter image. My first scope was a Nikon RA1 60mm scope which I was happy using and indeed on the odd occasions that I compared it with much more expensive scopes I always thought that it had been very good value. I repalced it this last February with a Nikon 78 Ed and have not regretted doing so, the optics are superb. My first intention was to buy the basic Nikon 80mm scope but after trying a number of different scopes by several manufacturers I decided that if I was going to upgrade I would buy a top quality instrument. Having looked at a number of scopes I have always felt that Nikon Optics were of a consistently hifh standard, but that is a subjective viewpoint.
The best advice anyone can give you is to go and to try whatever you are thinking of buying and choose what suits you, you are unlikely to be able to try a Nikon 78 ED as they are a discontinued item which only seems to be available from Warehouse Express, but a look at the Nikon 82 ED will give you an image which is almost identical to the earlier version.
Enjoy your scope once you get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back