• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Norway (1 Viewer)

Thank you all for nice comments! I though I'd post something different, and probably borderline controversial in this forum? I've never hunted in my life, but I kind of fell for the interaction between the girl and the dog. I'm trying to work with only black watercolour for the first time, and it's kind of fun.

that's really fine

reminds me very much of the illustrations in Gunnar Brusewitz's classic Hunting

which, whatever one thinks of the activities depicted, is a beautiful work with much done in monochrome or at least low-colour washes

that's really fine

reminds me very much of the illustrations in Gunnar Brusewitz's classic Hunting

which, whatever one thinks of the activities depicted, is a beautiful work with much done in monochrome or at least low-colour washes

Thank you all!
Ed: I haven't heard about Brusewitz before, but a quick search on the net convinced me he's worth looking closer at.
I have a fantastic book, "Jachttekeningen" by Rien Poortvliet - he is one of my all time favourites when it comes to painting nature (and yes, whatever one thinks of the activities depicted) It's a shame he is probably most famous for his gnomes.

Thank you all!
Ed: I haven't heard about Brusewitz before, but a quick search on the net convinced me he's worth looking closer at.
I have a fantastic book, "Jachttekeningen" by Rien Poortvliet - he is one of my all time favourites when it comes to painting nature (and yes, whatever one thinks of the activities depicted) It's a shame he is probably most famous for his gnomes.

Poortvliet's wild boar certainly do more for me than his gnomes! Leaving the hunting aside, I imagine there's a number on here who would put Brusewitz's Wings and Seasons into even a short list of bird art classics- and it sold a lot of copies in the UK.

Even Jonsson has written that he used to be influenced by Brusewitz (for example, B's positioning of birds, animals into compositions made by roadways, fencelines etc.) e.g. by way of a quick google

http://www.auktionsprisbanken.se/bildshow/default.asp?OG={412B59A4-C5ED-4A78-B2E7-A116693E4B5B}

http://birds.nu/kort1/gbz11.jpg

but he (Jonsson) gradually moved away from that approach to something a little less obviously composed, which turned out quite well for him...

Last edited:
It's not hard to see how Brusewitz influenced Jonsson, I found a painting of Goldfinches by Brusewitz that could easily have been an early Jonsson, at least from a distance...

I had to do another one, they are so much quicker than the multi-coloured ones! I'm sticking with my death and despair-theme, but this will be the last of it. Shame on me.

Attachments

• rypejakt2 copy.jpg
    rypejakt2 copy.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 76
Smart work, Oivind - and an interesting discussion to boot.
Ps - I have a copy of 'The Ark' which has given hours of pleasure. Perfect draughting and amazing compositions.

Last edited:
Very nice indeed. I am not familiar with Gunnar Brusewitz's work either but I'm certainly going to have a better look now. Funny enough if you do a google image search for Gunnar Brusewitz several Lars pictures turn up too.

Mike

Funny enough if you do a google image search for Gunnar Brusewitz several Lars pictures turn up too.

Mike

they used to hang together a bit I undesrtand..

this pic was taken during the great Swedish string shortage of the 1970s, when as a protest, artists took turns to stand in groups of three and hold up their pictures by hand

Brusewitz - Jonsson - Wiberg

sorry Oivind for thread diversion..

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 87
sorry Oivind for thread diversion..

That's OK, Ed - it was in need of a diversion. And thank's for letting me know about Brusewitz (great name, by the way).
Also, let's hope for another string shortage, I wouldn't mind hanging out in groups of three like that.

Hi there, love these recent images, a lot of food for thought, as well as being wonderfully painted. The first image with the girl is particularily strong in my opinion...

Even though Brusewitz´s books are in Swedish you can always enjoy his drawings / sketches which are absolutely brilliant. I just got a copy of his book “Arktisk Sommer” ( Arctic Summer ) from 1980, where he took part in a polar expedition named Ymer-80. The book is loaded with his watercolour sketches and drawings and impressions being onboard the vessel for 50 days.
To start with Ymer-80 was planned to follow the same route up through the Northeast Passage, to commemorate the 400 year ago Nordenskjöld expedition, which at that time did the first complete crossing of the Northeast Passage. The officer second in command in those days was a relative to Gunnar Brusewitz, Eric Brusewitz.

Another Swedish artist certainly worth mentioning is from my point of view Bruno Liljefors.

Oivind, most impressive painting of that Raven. :t:

Ha det,
Torben

More death from me, I'm afraid. I was sitting at Mølen Bird Observatory, doing some drawing, when something huge suddenly banged into the window next to me. A young Wood Pigeon found sudden death, and I couldn't resist sketching it.

Attachments

• døddue copy.jpg
    døddue copy.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 98
More death from me, I'm afraid. I was sitting at Mølen Bird Observatory, doing some drawing, when something huge suddenly banged into the window next to me. A young Wood Pigeon found sudden death, and I couldn't resist sketching it.

A stunning study. Your use of watercolour is superb, this is work of the highest caliber. A sad end for the bird, though immortalized through this piece of artistic study..

Absolutely brilliant and a true masterpiece. It almost comes alive in a way and sends some sort of a message. Speaking of masterpieces and don´t know if you and are aware of this, which might have your interest. I suppose that you Alan perhaps will visiting the exhibition ?

http://www.waldemarsudde.se/lars_jonsson.html

Here is a short video:
http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/abc/lars-jonsson-malar-pa-waldemarsudde

Torben

Hi Torben,

I was made aware if this last week. An amazing opportunity to see some work and even better, watch him paint. Not to be missed. Have a five day trip to Landsort planned, will perhaps go next Thursday. He'll be there for some time over the winter, so a few visits may be in order...

Thanks, Torben, and a very nice link, indeed. I went to his exibition in Strømstad, but Landsort is too far, I'm afraid. He is the king of bird art, no doubt about it.

You are most welcome, and Stockholm is a bit far away for me too. King of bird art – indeed - and I don´t know if you caught what he mentioned in the video, which I find rather admirable and that is that he experience the same enjoyment travelling down the same gravel road to the same coastline as he has done for so many years. That´s impressive.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back