• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colleen's gone Coastal, Oregon USA (1 Viewer)

Thanks John and Ken

Been doing seascape lately will do more hummers eventually
for the last 3 months been experimenting with oil on copper
6x12 oil on Copper
Sunset Waves at Smelt Sands

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 65
thanks Sharon, I'm starting to work larger now on copper...getting the hang of how to do it and it really makes amazing luminosity possible which is my holy grail of painting

if you go to my blog there is a series of posts on coppper that give you all the details...its one of the first supports that oil painters used back in the Rennaisance when oil painting was invented. It has real advantages, one being that the co-efficent of expansion between the copper and the paint is almost the same. so this means even in 400 years a copper painting looks like ti was painted last week, it does not crack and degrade like canvas or wood. I like it as it adds another layer of luminiosity, which is my holy grail of painting.

It's a beauty. For me the most noticeable thing again is how you seem to have figured out the structure of an always moving sea. There is a great sense of color to this. Only you can tell whether the copper has something to do with that. I'd be happy with it either way.

thanks Ken, I figured it out with hundreds of hours of close observation and lots of experiments of brushwork that would describe it. In the end its tricky to get the values right and the brushwork fresh enough, a few too many times over one spot and all is lost.

Frederick Waugh one of our greatest seascape painters, said it well
"You cannot throw a few daubs of paint and expect to find the sea painted in a convincing manner. I say that if the sea is to be painted in a worthwhile manner, the painter must study it from nature each part of the year, until the time arrives when they can paint it quite well from memory as from the real"

Which is why I moved to the sea, I go walk the surf every day, I cant do it all from memory yet, but its getting easier. I do think each painter has to discover how to do it on their own, those marks that represent the sea are a bit like handwriting. Wooten's water is real and moving too but his way of painting it is different than mine. Our common ground is that we both live by the sea.

after 2.5 years and over a thousand studies, I finally got to it my first ffull size seascape! 12 x24 in oil on canvas, in one of my favorite places near the Yaquina Lighthouse, and at the time of day I love most
and I have a second one roghted in too I'm finally in the game
Sunset Yaquina Headlands... no birds but I just had to share it as some of you know how hard I worked to get here and painting birds is what got me started on it in the first place

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 44
I just completed my first year in Oregon and living in my RV on the coast.
I still feel like I'm in heaven, tho there are far fewer birds here than the opulent Bodega Bay I came from. Here is my Happy New Year to all of you and a resolution to do some harlequin ducks I saw recently.

this was a spectacular moment of light at Seal Rock just as the sun went below the horizion

4.5" by 3 on copper in oil

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back