• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manchester birding (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi All,
This Sunday I am driving up to Manchester to drop my partner off for a works do. Shall have 4 - 5 hours to spare before returning. Could anyone offer good advice for a spot to spend a few hours pleasant birding with the chance of a newly arrived winter species etc.
Don't want to spend too much time driving to get there as I'll have come up from Hertfordshire early in the morning and shall then be returning that night.
Any help and suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance.
Jono

Not sure about the immediate Manchester area but if you want to head into the Peak District I can give you plenty of detail on the Upper Derwent Valley if you want to pm me. Go to multi map and find the A57 that runs between Manchester and Sheffield. The Upper Derwent runs to the north of the A57. Look for Ladybower, Derwent and Howden reservoirs.

Living in Herts you might like the idea of stuff like Raven and Red Grouse plus we have had brambling and crossbill around recently. Keep your eyes peeled and you may get a decent raptor or two (although not the best time of year).

The scenery is good and it is a pleasant walk.

Sunday weather for the local area at the moment is due to be about 14 degrees, cloudy, with a southerly wind and good visibility.

Matthew

You could try Pennington Flash near Leigh (20 minutes drive from M/cr).

A series of subsidence flashes that can be good for wintering duck, some waders, Willow Tit on the feeding station etc. It can get busy on anice day but there are a lot of hides and regularly turns up interesting birds such as Bittern, Water Rail etc.

The nearby Wigan flashes are also wort a visit.

If you around late afternoon Audenshaw Reservoirs alongside the M60 has an impressive gull roost with the chance of white-winged gulls , Yellow-legged Gull whilst there can be interesting diving duck including Goosander and the chance of one of the scarcer grebes (wrap up well though - it is very exposed!).

There are sites around Manchester for birds such as Twite, whilst further afield you are only an hour away from RSPB Inner Marsh Farm which is woth a visit, as is the nearby harrier roost at Parkgate.

I'm no expert, but if you want any more info feel free to contact me. I shall be out birding on Sunday too, but may be going further afield depending on what turns up!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back