• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beidaihe - In the Year of The Dragon (2 Viewers)

Hi Shi Jin!

I guess these are the same ones that were around in November? I was out on the sand(ice) flats on the 22nd and didn't see them, but I suppose they'd be actually feeding at the water line or beyond? I guess they're feeding well enough...

Love to see more of your pics!

Great pix of the eagle - and good to see you posting again Shi Jin.

Sid & I saw White eared Pheasant on the grasslands about half a bins-width to the right of your shot of Siguniang Shan in December!

Chinese Bulbul in Beidaihe in winter is a sign of the times - they were a rare autumn migrant when I visited BDH in 1990.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Gretchen, Mike, and Etudiant

Yes, it's been a while.

(I needed a long rest after the 365 species in 160 or so days photo-fest).

Been keeping up though (really enjoyed reading your spendid account of your adventures in Sichuan, Mike).

Talking of Sichuan, I was in Chengdu a few weeks ago for the opening of "Panda valley".

My article that covers this ("Self-pandactualisation") is published here:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/index.html

On the birding front, I had a walk around Lotus Hills yesterday with my daughter and was delighted to find a bird I had never before seen in winter in Beidaihe... (I actually only see a couple a year in spring here).

I'll keep you in suspense, other than saying that it was with a flock of about a dozen Elegant Buntings (which do regularly winter here, contrary to what it says in the Birds of East China).

Arty (ie ISO 3200 ;-) pics are here:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/photostream.html

Last edited:
Hi Mike

Yellow-browed it is ;-)

My favourite bunting no less. Captured my imagination way back in 1975 when Britain's first turned up in Holkham, Norfolk. Took me until 1994 to see one though (Beidaihe, May). So impressed that I drove/flew from London to St Agnes in October of the same year when Britain's 4th turned up.

Reducing vagrancy in Europe suggests a population decline I fear...

Shi Jin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back