• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew sp. at Minsmere (1 Viewer)

Bluetail said:
RBA have just broadcast this:

Suffolk curlew sp (probably Eurasian Curlew) Minsmere RSPB on the levels opp windpump 12.15 pm at least (2nd day): bird shows some characteristics possibly suggestive of Slender-billed Curlew

RBA don't have the greatest track record in this area......
looks interesting certainly. :eat: If anyone is going from Norwich today/tomorow and could offer me a lift feel free to PM me!

I am one of the fortunate birders to actually have seen one of these birds. I am at work at the moment so I need to get home tonight to be able to look up my notes on the bird I saw. I must admit that this current surfbirds photo is rocking my boat a bit but really these photos probably won't confirm anything more than a possible abberant european Curlew. I hope I am wrong.

I have included a few links to photos of these birds including some old photos of the Northumberland bird on Surfbirds. From those Northumberland photos you would have been fairly hard pressed to have expressed a firm ID either way in IMHO.

http://www.surfbirds.com/mb/Features/slender-billed-curlew.html
http://www.hmag.org.uk/site/viewDet...der-billed-Curlew.jpg&c=Slender-billed Curlew
http://www.birdlife.net/datazone/search/species_search.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=3011&m=1

Last edited:
CJW said:
DOHH! It's an age thing. Ofcourse, you're right Tim.

Without swotting, I can't remember what the deal is with SBC. But I'm guessing that it would have to be a juvenile (hooray!) in which case it would not have the spotty chevrons, or it would be an ad, in which case it should be spottier than those pics on surfbirds??

Take a look at the attached SBC, stuffed but in similar position to one of the surfbirds pics.

Attachments

• 1896a.jpeg
    1896a.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 574
Looking again at the Surfbirds pics, I'm coming down on the side of Eurasian Curlew. For one thing, not sure whether that bill is quite fine enough at the tip and the Curlew in the background seems to show some similar spots. Wouldn't mind seeing it in the flesh though.

Bluetail said:
Looking again at the Surfbirds pics, I'm coming down on the side of Eurasian Curlew. For one thing, not sure whether that bill is quite fine enough at the tip and the Curlew in the background seems to show some similar spots. Wouldn't mind seeing it in the flesh though.

If the Druridge bird taught me anything it's not to come to a conclusion on the basis of fuzzy web images. Agree about the spots. Not sure about the bill. Actually the head IS screaming SBC at me, but like I say, no conclusions.

same for me Martin I think

i hate photos for ID.....

maybe it's only a 'showing characters of' to stop the throngs descending en masse!!!

might be tempted.....can almost see it from the school roof!

Bluetail said:
RBA have just broadcast this:

Suffolk curlew sp (probably Eurasian Curlew) Minsmere RSPB on the levels opp windpump 12.15 pm at least (2nd day): bird shows some characteristics possibly suggestive of Slender-billed Curlew

They said exactly the same thing last time, which is why I didn't make the trip. If it is still there Friday night I'm off - Courser / Western Sand etc can wait!!

Darrell

The Surfbird photos were taken by Brian Small. He says it has "broad white bars in tail. Large white area on rump, some thin bars on Flankd but not large chevrons"
"Bill 1.25x head length. Black spots on white background"

I think we really need a description of the underwing.

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
They said exactly the same thing last time, which is why I didn't make the trip.
In view of the momentous nature of the last record you can understand their extreme caution (even if you can't forgive it!) Maybe the same this time? They'd do us a favour though to broadcast some more detail on the bird when some top birders have seen it - which I would hope has already happened.

Now that I am home, and checked my field notes, I don't buy into this being a SBC. The bill, IMHO. is far too thick. The one I saw had a needle sharp bill. The photo shown in surfbirds is not concusive enough to to be totally happy with an ID but I will throw in something else for consideration, the steppe race of Whimbrel, (alboaxillaris) as a possibility.

CJW said:
. How many people actually look at Curlews?

Am no expert on SBC so really can't comment on the photos, perhaps it is? But Curlew can be a very variable species and the above quote is spot on.
The absolute beginning of any ID is first to demonstrate just why it is NOT the commoner species, before you start looking elsewhere, otherwise you start seeing all sorts of features.
Any experts care to begin.........

JP.

Have just got back from looking at this bird... as well as it being smaller than other curlews it was with, it was also noticably slighter (esp in neck and shoulders). Pale rump, some barring on the tip of the tail - some spotting, showing particularly on the left flank.
Just thought I'd add that to the discussion...

postcardcv said:
. as well as it being smaller than other curlews it was with, i

I watched it for an hour or so this afternoon and it was always on its own, some distance from other Curlews in the vicinity...did you see it mixing?

Grousemore said:
I watched it for an hour or so this afternoon and it was always on its own, some distance from other Curlews in the vicinity...did you see it mixing?

It was with a couple of other curlew for some of the time I was watching it, but did not seem to be moving with the main flock.

When I saw an SBC in Greece the one thing that came through was although it was relatively close to about 20+ Curlews at no time did it ever mix with them. Whenever they moved closer to it the bird would move away from them.

One other thing, when you actually see one the difference between an Eurasion and Slender billed is fairly obvious, well the one I saw was. Luckily I got to see it in flight as well as watching it wading for about an hour.

I did put my field notes into an earlier thread but this is how I reported my sighting. Any of you guys that have actually seen the bird can you tell me if anything I have typed below rings any bells with you.

Associating with 20+ Curlews but always a few feet away from them. Smaller & greyer (poss 2/3rds size). Much whiter looking underneath, when flying defined whiter underwing, underbody and rump. Shorter, thinner bill, not so curved and looking needle sharp than Curlew. Crown seemed lighter in centre. Spots on body seemed larger than Curlews. The underbody white plumage seemed to extend down slightly onto the legs.

Reader said:
Associating with 20+ Curlews but always a few feet away from them. Smaller & greyer (poss 2/3rds size). Much whiter looking underneath, when flying defined whiter underwing, underbody and rump. Shorter, thinner bill, not so curved and looking needle sharp than Curlew. Crown seemed lighter in centre. Spots on body seemed larger than Curlews. The underbody white plumage seemed to extend down slightly onto the legs.

The bird was definitely smaller and greyer, noticably pale on upper body and tail area. Other observers were commenting on the pale crown (though I did not see this myself). Under wing appeared white when the bird flew. As for the bill structure, it did seem thinner as well as shorter - though comments made about teh photos on surfbirds suggest that it is not fine enough.

Who dares not to go...

Might be three years before BOURC pronounces judgement...

Anyone seen it this morning?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back