• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (11 Viewers)

Good birds Delia. There have been good numbers passing through Fife -both coastal & inland in the last 10 days (there were 33 @ Vane Farm on Sunday).

Yeah, I think it's the first time I've seen them inland and at this time of year, so I was a happy bunny!

D

I had to go into Perth this morning and thought I'd come back via Airntully (beside Stanley). Haven't been on that road for years

The first bird I saw was a Yellowhammer, the first of 4. Skylarks seemed to be singing along the whole length of the road. House Sparrows in the village, then Song Thrush, Linnets and Goldfinch.

Also Lapwing, Oystercatchers and Common Gulls in the fields.

Shot down to Murthly (Willow Warbler by the school) then took the Kinclaven road from there.

More Goldfinch, Wren, Linnet and Great Tits. Four Buzzards flying together.

Court Hill, at Ballathie, is now a nature reserve and I saw one nest box but nothing using it while I watched. The hole was at least as big as a tennis ball - any ideas anyone? It's a lovely wooded area and looks very promising.

D

I took a drive up from Bridge of Allan to Carsebreck today. On my own for once, because Herself was at a Training Day. After negotiating the usual flock of mad sheep, I saw dozens of Sand Martins over Rhynd Loch. Further on there was a female Reed Bunting. These were the highlights, new entries for my year list. There were also Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Tufted Duck and skeins of Pink-footed Geese. I felt there were some interesting birds on Carsebreck Loch, but I wasn't able to make them out with my little 6x binoculars.

Michael.

Last edited:
Hi Michael and thanks - it's good to hear what's around in the south of the County. I haven't seen Pinkfoot for a couple of weeks now.

I know Carsebreck, but whereabouts is Rhynd Loch?

D

...it's good to hear what's around in the south of the County.
Thanks, Delia. We're often in the south of Perthshire (and Fife), so I'll maybe pop in again sometimes—now that I know you're here. I suppose I should start a thread for Stirlingshire.

I know Carsebreck, but whereabouts is Rhynd Loch?
The first loch on the walk is called Rhynd Loch. I only know because I always check up names before entering them into The List.

Michael.

Last edited:
Thanks, Delia. We're often in the south of Perthshire (and Fife), so I'll maybe pop in again sometimes—now that I know you're here. I suppose I should start a thread for Stirlingshire.

That would be superb if you would Michael, I'm sure there's far more than me interested in what's happening there.

The second loch on the walk, beyond the ruined house, is called Rhynd Loch. I only know because I always check up names before entering them into The List.

Michael.

LOL when I said I knew it I knew where it was:brains: but I didn't know the names of the lochs there. I've passed them on the A9 many times and thought they should be worth a look.

D

I've passed them on the A9 many times and thought they should be worth a look.
They really are. But I originally got the two lochs mixed up and Rhynded when I should have Carsebrecked and vice versa. I've corrected the above posts to try to minimise confusion. My apologies.

Michael.

I had my first Whinchat on a farm just outside Edinburgh. Going to drop into Vane farm to see if the Lesser scaup is still around.

Hi Ade

I've been looking for Winchat on my patch for the last week - so here's hoping they turn up next.

Didn't know about the Lesser Scaup hmm.... er... maybe. The one at Caerlaverock kept diving so it was rather difficult to actually see it in amongst a hundred Tufties.:'D

D

LOL when I said I knew it I knew where it was:brains: but I didn't know the names of the lochs there. I've passed them on the A9 many times and thought they should be worth a look.

D

I went to Carsebreck yesterday and saw Redhead Smew, Drake Garganey, White Wagtail, Common Sandpiper plus loads of other Ducks, Gulls and there must have been at least 1500 pinkies to the east.

had my first visit of the year to arbroath cliffs today, i dropped my camera last week and have been working non stop to get the money to get it repaired, seems like i picked the best day, non stop sunshine plus a coastal walk is my favourite combination, between arbroath and auchmithie i had 7 skylarks, 1 heron, 7 stonechats, 5 meadow pipits, four yellowhammer, 2 house martin, 17 gannets, 13 eiders, 18 shags, 12 sitting fulmars, there were many more flying, 2 great blacked gulls, countless herring gulls /guilemots/raz\orbills/ kittiwakes but no puffins, or any kestrels which is unusual, i also saw my first dead whale (warning graphic)

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/139363/limit/recent

not sure what type it was, i climbed down for a closer look but the stench was unbelievable ,i never spotted a single fulmar chick last year so i will be looking out this year

I met up with BFer Jimmorris starting at Loch of the Lowes.

Mrs Osprey was hunkered down in the nest, just head visible sometimes. The loch itself was very quiet with just a few Mallard, Goldeneye and a pair of Great Crested Grebes showing. Three Buzzards were enjoying the thermals over Butterstone Glen.

Wrens, Chaffinch and Willow Warblers were very vocal. A single female Siskin joined the party at the feeders, along with a Red Squirrel.

As we left the hide I could hear a Cuckoo calling (my first for the year).

On then to Rumbling Bridge, but the hoped for Grey Wagtails were not seen (nor were they at any likely spot during the day). Continuing on the back road to Trochry, we came across a flock of half a dozen or so Linnets and plenty of Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Oystercatchers, Lapwings and Curlew. These were all seen in good numbers throughout the drive.

The bridge at Trochy failed, for the first time, to produce a Dipper, couldn't believe it! And failed to see one anywhere today. Though Jim had seen one beside the campsite at Inver.

The first Swallow was seen at Trochry, shortly after House Martins, and driving towards Amulree the first of two Kestrels for the day. There's a lay-by before dropping down into Amulree (watch the enormous pot hole as you enter it), so we stopped there for a while scoping the skyline for raptors but surprisingly none were see at all.

Through Glen Quaich (seems a popular run this year LOL) we picked up the first of many Wheatear, more Wrens singing in the heather and Jim found his first (of 2) Red Grouse, the first of two Stonechat was seen here as well

Loch Freuchie held Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Greylag and Canada Geese. Here we also saw the only 2 Redshank of the trip.

Climbing up the hill and stopping at every available place we completely failed to find any Ring Ousel. At the small fishing loch we had some Ravens in the distance. Heard, then saw 2 Sandpipers here too (another year tick for me).

A female House Sparrow at Kenmore then a nice flock of Siskins in Glen Cochil with a Little Grebe on Loch na Craig.

A grand day really.

D

Work took me to Blair Atholl yesterday. What a hardship to have to drive up Deeside, over the Cairnwell, down Glenshee and over the Moulin moor in glorious sunshine without a cloud in sight, and get my mileage paid for! Upper Glenshee, between the ski centre and the Spital was particularly busy with birds - Curlews, Lapwings and Oystercatchers displaying over the grassy flats by the burn, wheatears and meadow pipits flying up from the roadside, several roadside red grouse and two roadside Ring Ouzels.

Attachments

• Red Grouse.JPG
    Red Grouse.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Red Grouse 2.JPG
    Red Grouse 2.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Ring Ouzel 2.JPG
    Ring Ouzel 2.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Rather too windy to go up the hill today so, as promised, I went to check out the nature reserve at Kinclaven.

A really beautiful walk through the bluebells. The wood is mosly Oak with some Beech and a fringing of Spruce at one end.

As to the birds, well I really found it rather disappointing. Now whether this was due to the time of day 1.30 to 4pm, the wind or maybe a bit too early in the year??? But there really was hardly anything to either see or hear.

The only good 'spot' I had was a very brief back-end view of a Jay.

So... Chaffinch, Blue,Great and Coal Tits, Wren and Treecreeper (heard).

Another thought was that perhaps the lack of water in there may be the problem - there is no water source at all.

D

Attachments

• Courthill bf.jpg
    Courthill bf.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 305
Kintillo

I took advantage of a lunch appointment in Perth to go and revisit some of my old haunts in Kintillo, where we first had a home of our own. I even passed our old house, in fact. The front garden that I spent so much time and sweat on, has been completely covered over with gravel.

Anyway, the area was as pleasant as I remembered it, with the bonus that I know a lot more about what I'm seeing than I did back then. Well, it wouldn't be hard. And what a co-operative lot of birds! None of that disappearing into thin air the instant you raise your binoculars. There was any number of Yellowhammers, a pair of Willow Warblers, quite a few male Bullfinches (or a single one that kept following me), including a long view of one feeding on dandelion seeds. Ptui!

Pied Wagtail
, Swallow,
Greenfinches, Great Tit.

Michael.

Hi Michael - it can be good re-visiting old haunts.

I've yet to see Bullfinch this year unfortunately.

D

Everything seems to be feeding hard after the rain yesterday. Had my first yellowhammer carrying food. Alot of other species having young out of the nest. Had a cuckoo calling up Sma Glen. Swallows are busy building in my barn which is always good to see. Otherwise fairly quiet.

I was near Brechin today and had 2 Red Kites, so if you are in the area keep your eyes peeled. If you do see these birds please phone the RSPB Perth office on 01738 630783. Lots of Swifts over Loch Balgavie.

I was near Brechin today and had 2 Red Kites, so if you are in the area keep your eyes peeled. If you do see these birds please phone the RSPB Perth office on 01738 630783. Lots of Swifts over Loch Balgavie.

Nice one Ade, one was radio-tagged too, I think you said in another thread?

There's bound to be some on my Patch before too long - can't wait.

I met llendorin at Loch of the Lowes this afternoon. The Osprey female was on the nest and, apparently, hadn't been fed all day. The male came in and swapped places with her so she could go and get her own feast (lazy toad he is:-O )

Siskin and Red Squirrel at the feeder (later saw another Squirrel at Snaigow). We did the Fungarth walk - lots of Willow Warblers, Chaffinches and Wrens. A number of songs I was unable to ID. Greenfinch, Swallows and Great Tit at the farm.

A nice afternoon that, thanks Grahame for your company.

D

Thank you for sharing the walk with me.

In addition to that, on the Braan walk at the Hermitage, which i did before meeting Delia, there was Grey wagtail, dipper, mistle thrush and all the usual suspects, chaffinch, robins, pheasant, etc, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back