• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

today I had
1 song thrush
2 long tail tits
12 gold finches
2 young magpies
3 chaffinch
I have had 27 species now either In garden or on house or tree

Humm so very tempted to put out some Sunflower hearts. The garden about 80 yards away had around 7 goldfinches. So frustrating how I just don't seem to get them. Think il be putting hearts out now in 1 of the feeders.

Apart from that; been having loads starlings, sparrows and blue tits. Had the collard doves and wood pigeons last few days.

Male and female bullfinch again this morning along with collared doves,blue and coal tits, house sparrows and a couple of crows gathering nest material

2 pairs of Bullfinches this morning and I was watching a few Siskins taking some nijer seed from the upstairs when I saw the Sprawk approaching. It was a close shout when the Sprawk got to the feeder but he missed, picked an individual out and chased it. The Siskin made it, collected his other mates up and off went a flock of c30 Siskins.

That's the highest Siskin count all winter and its about a year since I recorded c60 feeding here. They must gather here to feed up before moving north.

Decided to get up early on Sunday Morning and had 2 Reed Buntings come down and feed, there for quite a while as well. Not had any for 4 years unless they come whilst we are at work.

Heard a Woodpecker drumming this morning.

We have a lot more Goldfinches coming now, still lots of Blue, Coal and GreatTits coming as well.
Chaffinch numbers are up and down from one day to the next.
1 Nuthatch, 4 Dunnocks, lots of Blackbirds.

Reed buntings and a Nuthatch !:eek!: thats just plain greedy lol:-O

We had a rare appearance from a Coal Tit today too. I'm hoping I can capture him tomorrow as its one I seem to have missed with the camera .

I often wonder how many birds I miss during the day . I caught sight of a Tree creeper last week and thats a first for nearly a year.

3 male and 3 female bullfinches.3 starlings,collared doves,magpie gathering nesting material, house sparrows,blackbird and 2 blue tits.

3 male and 3 female bullfinches.3 starlings,collared doves,magpie gathering nesting material, house sparrows,blackbird and 2 blue tits.

Love to see a picture of your bullfinches Roger ;)

Well who is this little fella hiding under the suet ? could it be our newest visitor seen yesterday ?
That white crown strip is a giveaway ...Why its a little Coal Tit . I must try and get a really good image of him but he's pretty elusive.

Attachments

• mystery Tit.jpg
    mystery Tit.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Coal Tit crown.jpg
    Coal Tit crown.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 70

Well who is this little fella hiding under the suet ? could it be our newest visitor seen yesterday ?
That white crown strip is a giveaway ...Why its a little Coal Tit . I must try and get a really good image of him but he's pretty elusive.

Lovely photo of the Coal Tits crown stripe.

CB

Yes EB I will see what I can do, I did take some early in year which I posted on here.

Not so busy at the feeders yesterday:
6 Chipping Sparrows
5 House Sparrows
5 White-winged Doves
2 Downy Woodpeckers
2 Blue Jays
2 Carolina Chickadees
1 Mourning Dove
1 N Mockingbird
1 N Cardinal
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Some good flyovers, though:
2 Turkey Vultures
5 Black Vultures
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Cooper's Hawk.

On Friday I was very surprised to see two Black Vultures stroll along the road past the foot of our yard.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• bv2.jpg
    bv2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 22
The Trog is back!
I was really pleased this morning to see the Wren for the first time since the really cold spell earlier this year. I was beginning to think that he died. I caught a glimpse of him earlier on and then about ten minutes later he was sat on the fence, singing his little heart out. He has a loud voice for such a little fella.
It will be a challenge to get him to pose for me and it will have to wait for a week or two as I am away next week, but I will see about setting my studio up especially for him. Both the Robin and the Dunnock also visit the same area, so it should be worthwhile.
Many of the birds are starting to nest. Several blackbirds have found places and are busy with sticks and grass and the resident collared doves have tried several places so far, including next door's satellite dish, but they have not decided on any particular one yet.
Spring is definitely round the corner.

one taken this morning eb through the patio window

arn't they gorgeous :t: I'd love to have some Bullfinch in our garden but as far as I know they have not been seen in the area since my neigbour cut down his tree :C they used to eat the buds .

I'd also like to see a Nuthatch but there is as much chance of that as see a Sea Eagle lol:-O

The Trog is back!
I was really pleased this morning to see the Wren for the first time since the really cold spell earlier this year..
Spring is definitely round the corner.

same activity here Denny. ;)

I saw one of our resident Wrens yesterday too but he didn't stay long. I think they'll return when there is a bit more ground cover . At the moment most of our shrubs are only just budding.

Haven't had a Robin for a few months, but had 1 pop in earlier. They used to be fairly common but now there scare in my Garden. Hopefully it sticks around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back