• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

There is a mega rare Thrush in the Tramuntana mountains but the finder will not release details of where it is. I don't understand why. Hundreds of people go into the mountains every weekend to walk, usually with children, but the maximum number of birders here who would go to see it would be about six people. That's a big twitch here. I would always respect finders wishes but unless the bird is on private land, I cannot think of a valid reason for withholding the information. All a bit frustrating. It's possibly an Eye-browsed Thrush. Mike

Had the same issue about a roust of Long eared owls in Switzerland. The Roust was in the carpark of a small airport which had a cafe and kids playground outside.

So much disturbance but the birds were there for several years!

Short visit to S'Albuferata.

Very cold and still windy.

Osprey with fish over the sea.

The flamingos (50) are still there and can be seen from the tower.

Pintails also seen

Mike

Are birds killing the Hermanns Tortoises

Hi Mike

Interesting story in Ultimo Hora

Are birds killing the Hermanns Tortoise?

I know lammergier ( bearded Vultures) are famous for killing Tortoise in Greece ( dropping fron height to crack the shell etc) but I have never heard about Red Kites and Bonellis Eagle doing the same?

I hope you will defend our friends??

Interesting times

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 93
Hi Mike, no it's not a Long Eared Owl either, I have been going though Owl calls on the web trying to trace it with no luck yet, will keep trying to get a recording. On another note I counted 10 Red Kites circling in a group in the Esporles valley over the past few days, had only seen a maximum of 5 before then. Their numbers are definitely on the increase in this area as we would only see 1 or 2 now and then 10 yrs ago.
John

Last edited:
Hi Mike

Interesting story in Ultimo Hora

Are birds killing the Hermanns Tortoise?

I know lammergier ( bearded Vultures) are famous for killing Tortoise in Greece ( dropping fron height to crack the shell etc) but I have never heard about Red Kites and Bonellis Eagle doing the same?

I hope you will defend our friends??

Interesting times

Mike

Hi Mike

As you say, an interesting story from the headline (I can't read the rest of it). I've sent it to a friend who might know more about it.

Martin

Hi Mike

As you say, an interesting story from the headline (I can't read the rest of it). I've sent it to a friend who might know more about it.

Martin

English

http://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...56/llucmajor-concern-over-dead-tortoises.html

Main predators of young tortoise includes rats, wildpigs etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann's_tortoise

Red kites feed mainly on Carrion as well as small mammals such as mice etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_kite

Infact Red Kites etc may be helpful to the hunters by reducing rat population either directly or by removing carcass. I think rats must be the biggest issue on game birds etc.

Interesting to note in US, Ravens have been blamed for decrease in Mojave Tortoise.

Last edited:
I believe that the hunters are wanting permits to shoot Ravens and Red Kites, blaming them for all sorts of things, it's just an excuse as it always is with hunters, you only have to listen to the hunting lobby in the U.K. regarding the Hen Harriers to realize it's all unfounded. Because Red Kite are seen feeding on carcasses the farmers naturally assume that the bird has killed the animal. Not so. Red Kite do a lot of good here as Mike says.
I'm sure G.O.B. are onto it, they are strong and very devoted. Red Kites are doing great with I think 86 pairs breeding last year. I see more and more which is wonderful, a group of eleven last autumn. I hope the hunters are unsuccessful although I have to say they are generally pretty good here, I don't know of much wildlife crime in Mallorca and I think Red Kite have increased because of cooperation from farmers in not using poisons now. Mike

The results of the census of last Friday 13th in S'albufera, Albufereta, Maristany (Tucan marsh) and Estany dels Ponts (Llac Gran in Alcudia) are out, here:

http://www.gobmallorca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4318

The initial conclusion seem to be that the numbers are lower than the maximums of 2010/2011 and that the numbers of birds of salty and brackish water are on the increase whereas the numbers of birds living in fresh water are going down.

Patrick

This is a worrying trend as it will also have a detrimental effect on the freshwater flora and fauna, especially the Odonata, an important food resourcce for the Eleanoraa's Falcons and other wetland birds.
Martin

Rageing storms are continuing with high winds and torrential rain. I have never known weather like it. It's set to continue for the next three days.
I know a small party of birders from Wales have come to the Island and I feel really sorry for them. I am meeting them at Salobrar on Monday and we can swim down "Eddie's Track". I'm sure some good birds have been blown this way but going out birding is another matter. I will drive around as many harbours this morning to see what's about but I doubt many people will want to go out in this. Maybe when it's all settled we will have a bonanza. We shall see! Mike

Rageing storms are continuing with high winds and torrential rain. I have never known weather like it. It's set to continue for the next three days.
I know a small party of birders from Wales have come to the Island and I feel really sorry for them. I am meeting them at Salobrar on Monday and we can swim down "Eddie's Track". I'm sure some good birds have been blown this way but going out birding is another matter. I will drive around as many harbours this morning to see what's about but I doubt many people will want to go out in this. Maybe when it's all settled we will have a bonanza. We shall see! Mike

Same up North.

Hoping for a rariety on the coast.

A few common sandpipers but nothing special yet

Keep Spirits up..the good weather is coming

Mike Swiss

Just got back from a walk around Ses Rotgetes, a neighbourhood of Esporles, as we had a slight break in the weather. Counted a group of 16 red kites circling low, my new record!
John

Excellent number John, my record is eleven!
As soon as the storms have settled I will be out and about, it will be interesting to see what has blown in, the wind is relentless with lots of buildings and boats wrecked. Mike

Several boats beached and wrect in Pollensa Area

But a change in the weather??

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 147
New Mini Tower looking over Albuferata

Nice tower than provides a good overview of Albuferata.

Its by the side /end of the Aparthotel Club del Sol

Birds seen today here and along the Ca'n Cuarassa Road included:

Kestrals, Snipes, Great and Little Egrets, Hoopoes, Crag Martins, fan tail and Cetti Warblers, Stonechats, goldfiches, etc

Nice to be out and seeing birds surviving the storms.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 130
I'm just back from Mallorca. I think, due to the windy weather and high level of water on Albufera I didn't see so many birds, like e.g. last year. Almost no waders, also on Salobrar de Campos.
For good luck, I took a nice picture of Osprey flying with a big fish in his claws.

Mietek

Attachments

• DQ5R0880.jpg
    DQ5R0880.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 149
I'm just back from Mallorca. I think, due to the windy weather and high level of water on Albufera I didn't see so many birds, like e.g. last year. Almost no waders, also on Salobrar de Campos.
For good luck, I took a nice picture of Osprey flying with a big fish in his claws.

Mietek

Great photo

Mike Swiss

Two Fieldfares seen at Andratx by Juanjo today, quite difficult birds to see in Mallorca. There must be quite a few more on the Island at the moment. I am going to Salobrar tomorrow but the water is so high I doubt it will be very productive but you never know. I will also go to the Cap Ses Salinas to see what the wind has blown in. Mike

Just read on Facebook that most of the tracks at s'Albufera are closed today due to the flooding - so the advice is to phone rhe Information Centre for up-dated information, should anyone be planning a visit.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back