• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BTX Binoviewer for ATX scopes (1 Viewer)

Sights of nature will have the primeur to present the btx system on March 25 in their shop in Bruges ,Belgium
They are the biggest Bird Optics dealer in the Benelux and one of the big 3 in Europe
They are present on the well known IWA Fair
RRP prices are communicated
Btx 30x65:€3460
Btx 30x85:€4120
Btx 35x 95 :€4490
Btx ocular module:€2580
ME 1.7x extender :€360
PTH Profi Stativkopf :€604

For the 95 module

Filed of view:32 m
Close focus 5 m
Weight :2760g
Magnification:35x and 60x with module

People who had the occasion to look through were positive about the relaxed way of looking compared with the ATX
Loss of light should not be an issue by splitting up the light

Hi Arran,

The primeur, mmmm...

This made me ask Swarovski on the IWA if this was correct since the offical Primeur is in England.
Don't know if you (still) work for Sights of Nature, but reality learned me that the Belgium Swarovski rep is showing all the Swarovski dealers in Belgium the BTX and on the 25th of March it will be shown to the shop in Brugge, so you may call this the primeur on BF for the Kite store in Brugge B :)

Seen and tested the BTX on the IWA yesterday and I can only confirm what the posted links from those who were present at the Press launch in Schaffhausen in February are telling us.
It is brilliant, razor sharp from edge to edge and I can't see any light loss.
The extender works great on both the BTX as on the ATX.

Jan

Last edited:
I surprised that nobody has raised the obvious, if naive, question whether it's feasible to view through one eyepiece and take photos/video with a small camera or phone through the other ...

We were told that the eyecups are the same as on the EL 32mm binocular so the existing Swarovski iPhone adapters should work.

Hi Arran,

The primeur, mmmm...

This made me ask Swarovski on the IWA if this was correct since the offical Primeur is in England.
Don't know if you (still) work for Sights of Nature, but reality learned me that the Belgium Swarovski rep is showing all the Swarovski dealers in Belgium the BTX and on the 25th of March it will be shown to the shop in Brugge, so you may call this the primeur on BF for the Kite store in Brugge B :)

Seen and tested the BTX on the IWA yesterday and I can only confirm what the posted links from those who were present at the Press launch in Schaffhausen in February are telling us.

Jan
Jan,
Which objective/mag did you evaluate?

Jan,
Which objective/mag did you evaluate?

P,

It was crowded but I managed to work out all three of them. The 85 from a balcony and the 95 from the ground floor.
As said before by others, the 85 works best because of the excellent DOF.
The 95 needs quicker focussing, but goes to 35x which produces the same brightness as the 85 (don't see any reason to take the 65) at 30. The only downside is the shorter DOF of the 95 aspecially with the extender.

Jan

Sights of nature will have the primeur to present the btx system on March 25 in their shop in Bruges ,Belgium
They are the biggest Bird Optics dealer in the Benelux and one of the big 3 in Europe
They are present on the well known IWA Fair
RRP prices are communicated
Btx 30x65:€3460
Btx 30x85:€4120
Btx 35x 95 :€4490
Btx ocular module:€2580
ME 1.7x extender :€360
PTH Profi Stativkopf :€604

For the 95 module

Filed of view:32 m
Close focus 5 m
Weight :2760g
Magnification:35x and 60x with module

People who had the occasion to look through were positive about the relaxed way of looking compared with the ATX
Loss of light should not be an issue by splitting up the light

Hi Gunther

Will Swarovski make a stay-on case available for this?

Lee

Help me out here Henry. I remember reading a bit about binoviewers some years ago but whatever I gained from those readings is now lost. I know there are a few binoviewers available in the astronomy market. Why again won't they work on some spotting scopes? I am sure for many it is a connection issue but for the others I seem to remember something about not being able to reach infinity focus or something similar?

Help me out here Henry. I remember reading a bit about binoviewers some years ago but whatever I gained from those readings is now lost. I know there are a few binoviewers available in the astronomy market. Why again won't they work on some spotting scopes? I am sure for many it is a connection issue but for the others I seem to remember something about not being able to reach infinity focus or something similar?

Reaching infinity focus is the main problem. The light path through the binoviewer prisms adds substantial back focus. See the manual for the Baader Maxbright binoviewer here:

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/e...ual_for_baader_maxbright_binocular_viewer.pdf

At best a spotter might be able to handle 20mm of back focus. Even with the 2.6x Glasspath Compensator the Baader adds 44mm of back focus

Last edited:
Henry beat me to it Frank.

We saw a prototype Long Perng binoviewer at Photokina that they claimed adds no back focus but we're still waiting on a sample to test it with the Vixen scopes that we sell.

Cheers, Pete

Thank you both.

On a related note, I was just sent the following photos which were provided by Swarovski Optik as part of a press pack sent out after the launch event. Copyright Swarovski Optik.

Attachments

• swaro1.jpg
    swaro1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 280
  • swaro2.jpg
    swaro2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 265
Thought I remembered seeing an earlier effort at a binoviewer/spotting scope. A little Googling turned up this from 2008.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/07/new-binocular-spotting-scope/
Yep in UK Monk Optics had 'em from 2003 or maybe even earlier :
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=105517&postcount=54
Also Birdnet. Seems that implementation just didn't catch on. I expect for the price, size, weight etc an ED glass scope appealed to more folk.

Hi Arran,

The primeur, mmmm...

Jan

Jan
Sorry to say I have never worked for sights of Nature!!
Nor I have advantage promoting them
I only put on the forum what I hear from different sources

I look forward seeing the BTX though

Transmission is stated for both the ATX and ATS scopes, but not for the BTX.
Any thoughts why? Less than 50%....does not sound good..?? o:);)

Last edited:
Thank you both.

On a related note, I was just sent the following photos which were provided by Swarovski Optik as part of a press pack sent out after the launch event. Copyright Swarovski Optik.

Thanks for posting the photos Frank.

If I'm interpreting the appearance of the prisms correctly the long first prism looks like a 45º Amici roof prism for image erection, followed by the beamsplitter, which diverts half the beam to the left eyepiece through a diagonal prism and a simple glass cube (for keeping the glasspath equal between right and left). The right side appears to be two diagonal prisms with the second one movable in a lateral direction to change IPD.

The most interesting thing to me is the apparent use of an Amici prism. If that's what it is (I don't know what else could be that shape) this is the first time I've seen one used in a spotting scope.

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back