• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adder (2 Viewers)

andy hood

Skipwith Common Yorks 23/3/12

First one ive ever seen:t:

Adder005edited.jpg

they are quite common in my part of the world, also grass snakes, which are larger and olive green, and will also rise up and hiss if cornered, although harmless. Common lizards and slow worms as well, and rarer sand lizard and smooth snake.

Adders usually get out of your way, the danger lies in treading on one, or attempts to pick the snake up. They can be a bit dopy at the beginning and the end of their active season (due to cool days), so care needs to be taken then. While not necessary lethal to humans, an adder bite can be fatal to a dog.

I know one person bitten by an adder, the tennis net had been taken down in preperation for the winter, and a sudden shower occurred, so he picked up the net to put it under cover. An adder must have taken refuge in the net, and becoming trapped, bit him. Noone saw the snake, but the bite marks were there, and his arm swelled up.

Following article on girl recently bitten by an adder on the Forest. I don't think her clothing appropriatehttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380063/Snake-bites-Tylar-Butchers-leg-turns-black-bitten-adder-New-Forest.html

Last edited:
yes, I know someone whose dog was bitten by an adder, as soon as the vet was contacted, the order was "bring the dog to the surgery IMMEDIATELY" and was waiting in the car park with a syringe of antidote.

The weather we are having now is just the sort where care needs to be taken - they have been lured out of hibernation by the warm spell, now the temperature has suddenly dropped

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back