• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Went down to Staines a few days ago. Fudge duck showing well, but I think it's gone now.
Also had Scaup and BNG. Then went to london WWT and dipped on a bittern- again.

how many of you have seen lesser spotted woodpecker this year? i have really gotta get this bird on my L list.......its a bit of a bogey bird really i have seen both G woodpecker and G S woodpecker nearly every week this year so hopefully(fingers crossed)ill find a LSW soon.o:D

Went down to Staines a few days ago. Fudge duck showing well, but I think it's gone now.
Also had Scaup and BNG. Then went to london WWT and dipped on a bittern- again.

Was wondering whether to go for the Ferruginous Duck (although it appears to have bogged off, as you said!). Did you notice whether it had a big black patch on the end of the bill or a small black 'nail' by any chance...?

how many of you have seen lesser spotted woodpecker this year? i have really gotta get this bird on my L list.......its a bit of a bogey bird really i have seen both G woodpecker and G S woodpecker nearly every week this year so hopefully(fingers crossed)ill find a LSW soon.o:D

You really have to know the right place to look...I have had Lesser spot twice this year. Once at my house and once at an anual breeding site.
Lesser spots prefer old deciduous woodland with lots of dead wood to get insects from. Large woods are best, also in quiet areas, but the site where I got my bird last Saturday was only about 100 metres from a main road... try and ask local/knowledgeable birders about lesser spots in your area - they often have the key!
Good luck in your searching.
Sim

Lesser spots breed on one of my patches and I've been watching the place for over 2 years now, and only ever seen one there once! They are truly elusive buggers!

Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers are one of the hardest birds to track down in my experience. This winter I've put hours into getting them on my 2008 year list and 2009 year list- to no avail- though March is the best time so I shouldn't let it pass without giving Banstead Wood another good bash. My only one was a random bird at one of my local patches (I don't THINK they breed there...?).

Anyway, I had brilliant views of 2 Tawny Owlets and 2 Tawny Owls in Kensington Gardens yesterday- amazing stuff.

Now is supposed to be the best time for looking for Lesser-Spotted Woodpeckers because they are calling to find a mate and drumming nest holes etc.
I know owls breed early but you've already seen owlets David! Well done!
Good luck to anyone hunting for Lesser peckers...I have one more site I will try...

yea next time i go out birding i am gonna get LSW!! i have set the goal to get one this week! and i will!(you know i have gone for the positive thinking technique:-O)

i am going birding tommorow,dont know where yet but i am going to try my best for LSW maybe i will try one of my locals Arne there was one seen there last week.....or the new forest or my secret spot where i have found everytype of woody accept LSW before.

you are right SB i am gonna need my luck tommorow:t:

Yeh good luck with the Lesser pecker hunting - the weather doesn't look great I'm afraid!
I had a pair of Goosanders at Downham Market this morning...starting to wish they would go and hurry up the summer migrants!

An elusive starling doing a perfect impression of a golden oriole today! Also- kingfisher shoveler, kestrel,bullfinch (patch tick), yaffle, GCG and elusive chaffinches impersonating wheatears!

no luck with the LSW today:-C but i did think i caught glimpses of it in the distance at my secret spot, it did looked much smaller than the other GSWs i had seen that day. But still i tracked down a lot of GSWs in one day about 10.
weirdly though i didnt see any green woodys.......

the none woodpecker birds i saw were several buzzards a flyby sprawk(you just gotta love that word)the usaul bluetits,greatits,LTT,blackbirds,jays, a nice flock of Crossbills(which i have found now nearly every time i have visited the s spot)and a lovely pair of stonechats.plus at another site i got a year and life tick a group of greylag geese on some fields.

Well done with all your sightings tjbirdofprey! Keep going back to your "secret site" over the next week or so, and remember to listen for LSWs as well as look...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back