• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

Are there any young birders here hailing from the North Texas region (Dallas/Ft. Worth & etc.) and or surrounding area? Who is currently doing ornithological work in this region? Thanks!

Justin M. Jahn
North America

I find this forum is very tolerant of the young and new birder. It is normally very helpful and friendly and welcoming. There is a subforum for beginners. Somewhere in these forums is a forum for young birders, or there was but I can't find it at the moment.

As Andy said, you can't do better than here, BirdForum, where beginners and young people are welcome and where we keep a strict eye on the kind of behavior you're worried about.

I can also vouch for the NGB group, it's a really good environment and restricted to people under 26. There are two Facebook groups, the official one open to everyone and the looser one restricted to over 16's. The blog is excellent too.

Hey!

Although I seem to be (several pages) late to the party, its great to meet some fellow younger birders!
I am Cypselurus92, currently residing in China. I'm 14 and have a life list of 417- last lifer being a Grey Imperial-pigeon in a dive island off the west coast of Borneo. I probably don't bird as often as you guys now- certainly not keeping a year list- but I would love to chat with you guys in the future. :king:

Although I seem to be (several pages) late to the party, its great to meet some fellow younger birders!
I am Cypselurus92, currently residing in China. I'm 14 and have a life list of 417- last lifer being a Grey Imperial-pigeon in a dive island off the west coast of Borneo. I probably don't bird as often as you guys now- certainly not keeping a year list- but I would love to chat with you guys in the future. :king:

Welcome to Bird Forum! Borneo certainly is a great place for the pigeon family. You'll find a lot to interest you on this Forum - just enjoy exploring it.
MJB

Young Birders

A few weeks back I posed the question about where was a safe place on the internet for young birders to discuss their birding dreams and learn about birding. The response was phenomenal with over 700,000 views and over 7,000 comments.
Now, I don't know why but my question and comments have disappeared from my thread with the words - this thread is now closed.
Can someone tell me why?:C
Such a useful and obviously desperately needed source for ALL birders has been closed.:eek!:
If anyone can answer please tell me.

As for young birders I gave some advice which has been lost in the ether, namely

1. Get a local patch, after identyfing the birds in your garden, park, school grounds.
2. Make notes, draw and list the birds you see.
3.Get the best binoculars a Mum and Dad can afford. NOT a telescope, that will come later.
4. Ask Mum and Dad to take you to a local nature reserve. You never know they might start to like birds too. My dad when I was 14 [OK, a long tim ago I know] was persuaded to take me to the marsh warblers that used to be back along the Warwickshire Avon. Dad decided to jump a barbed wire fence. Broke his ankle. It was the last time he took me!!!3:)
5. Join the local RSPB orWildlife Trust group. OK they'll be mostly old [very old!] birders of all sorts but you'll meet birding people and they not only have meetings on birds but go on coach trips to see birds further afield. If more young people go the more chance of you making a birding group for future travels together. [See The Birding Clams on Facebook. They've been birding tgether since they were at school together, 30 years ago!!! Clear Lunacy and Madness - C.L.A. M. S.]
6. Study birds using all the internet can offer but only when it's dark! Any time it's light outside watch birds. Don't live in a box, watching a box!

Now I'm sure that more advice can be given but these are a wonderful starting point.

People of all ages are out there waiting to help YOU become a great birder.:t:

Assuming you're referring to the 'Young Birder' thread, which has had over 700,000 views and 7,000 comments...it was started in 2005 and not by yourself.

cheers
martin

The Young Birders thread was where most of the current crop of prominent British young birders first met and became friends, I'd be curious to know why it has been closed down?

The young birder thread has been reopened. We are more than happy for it to continue if posts are about birds and birding, with posts conforming to birdforum guidelines.
regards,
Andy

It would be interesting to see how many Young Birders are on this thread/check this thread. Must be loads of us out there, yet only a few posts since march 2013?

Assuming you're referring to the 'Young Birder' thread, which has had over 700,000 views and 7,000 comments...it was started in 2005 and not by yourself.

cheers
martin

Thanks Martin. :t:

Checking the dates on the original pages I see what you mean. I haven't got the faintest idea on how my question has been linked to this thread!

Right back to sorting out Green Birding issues! I think the youngsters can do just fine.

All the very best,

Gary Prescott [Chester College - Facebook. aka Biking Birder 2010

hi im 19 from Derbyshire :)
I love birding and I want to see as many species as possible, I always check bird guides and go hunting for all the rare birds in the range of around 2 hours away :3 I don't know any other young birders though :/ if you want to be friends or talk then send me a message on here.

earthbirder, if you are a Facebook person you might want to look up Next Generation Birders, that isn't a recommendation - I don't know them but they are young.
I hope you are a member of your local RSPB group, should be a good place to meet birders of every age as would the Derbyshire ornithology club

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back