• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

AmpelisChinito said:
WOW! That's sooooo cool! You actually knew who I was! That's only happened happened a few other times. I wonder how many others in this country have heard of me? I might be famous? Haha, not really though.

Well considering anyone who takes part in feeder watch or the house finch survey saw your face and the article i would sayyou are a bit known ;)

hello all, i am also a young birder, 17.....been birding for 3 or 4 years now....starting to get out more and see more birds, etc......i probably have at least 30 bird books....waiting for my new binocs for Christmas.....starting to learn to bird by jizz...

Once again, I would like to insist that we Brits get a look in on this thread, Sam, you're not posting enough! ;) You've got glories across the pond, but us? Deprived.

Books, great fun. But it's BIRDS I'm talking about. When I said glories across the pond I sure didn't mean books! ;)

The Firecrest said:
Once again, I would like to insist that we Brits get a look in on this thread, Sam, you're not posting enough! ;) You've got glories across the pond, but us? Deprived.
No idea what to post about, really...

Any ideas, shout 'em out and I'll talk

A bit busy at the moment, creating a blog with my mate from school...

The Firecrest said:
but us? Deprived.

We're not, there is over 500 species on the offcial uk list, and many birding specticles round the uk. the most notable being the huge seabird colonys in summer, starling roosts in autumn, the corvid roost at Newborough (cant remember exactly, but its at least the largest in the UK, I think It is infact the largest in Europe.) The geese (the mayjority of the worlds population of some species overwinter here.) And the huge number of waders around our coast.

Just think about all those underwatched sites on our islands.

The Firecrest said:
Books, great fun. But it's BIRDS I'm talking about. When I said glories across the pond I sure didn't mean books! ;)

aheh, i thought that might have been it :brains: but you brits can get higher lists since you can get around easy.....but we arent THAT much higher....
you brits get to know your birds better though...and thats most important

i think yours are alot more diversified and interesting than ours! i am jealous of YOU.......anyway

i think i said "brits" one too many.... ;)

More diversified??!?!?! More intersting!?!? Come on, I beg to differ. Look at the US, birds range from Boreal species ( Snowy Owl, Black-backed Woodpecker, Boreal Chickadee etc.), to neotropic birds, ( Green Jay, Crested Caracara, Montezuma Quail) and nearly everything in between. And as far as intersting, google Greater Sage Grouse, or Rufous Hummingbird, or Long-billed Curlew. Spectacular birds like Cerulean or Blackburnian Warblers, Indigo Bunting, Baltimore Oriole. It doesn't have to be rare for it to be intersting, even the most common bird here like Northern Mockingbird or Blue Jay are fascinating. But that's just my overly biased opinion. Oh, and true that it is easier to get around in the UK but I'm sure you can find over 300 species of birds within 50 miles of you, if you give it 2 years or so, maybe less depending on where in TX you are. Of course none of this is to put birders outside of the US down. Just saying, appreciate what you got.

Good birding,

Phil

BiggSkua said:
More diversified??!?!?! More intersting!?!? Come on, I beg to differ. Look at the US, birds range from Boreal species ( Snowy Owl, Black-backed Woodpecker, Boreal Chickadee etc.), to neotropic birds, ( Green Jay, Crested Caracara, Montezuma Quail) and nearly everything in between. And as far as intersting, google Greater Sage Grouse, or Rufous Hummingbird, or Long-billed Curlew. Spectacular birds like Cerulean or Blackburnian Warblers, Indigo Bunting, Baltimore Oriole. It doesn't have to be rare for it to be intersting, even the most common bird here like Northern Mockingbird or Blue Jay are fascinating. But that's just my overly biased opinion. Oh, and true that it is easier to get around in the UK but I'm sure you can find over 300 species of birds within 50 miles of you, if you give it 2 years or so, maybe less depending on where in TX you are. Of course none of this is to put birders outside of the US down. Just saying, appreciate what you got.

Good birding,

Phil

I second that...nicely said Phil!

Ethan

BiggSkua said:
Where in TX are you exactly? It can't be that bad. I'm in the middle of a big city in Ohio, and there are still birds to b found.

hmm...nctexasbirder..I'm guessing from NC Texas haha. Yeah I do see where you might not get all the "Mexican" birds from being too far north. You are on the other hand able to see a lot of birds from both the east and the west. You get down to the coast or Rio Grande yet?

Ethan

USA_Twitcher said:
hmm...nctexasbirder..I'm guessing from NC Texas haha. Yeah I do see where you might not get all the "Mexican" birds from being too far north. You are on the other hand able to see a lot of birds from both the east and the west. You get down to the coast or Rio Grande yet?

Ethan

Well i figured the NC Texas part, but that is quite a big area. Should still be able to find some good birds, but I can understand the frustration. Winter must be a hard time of the year to bird, almost anywhere inland in Texas, away from the southern part of the state. Still all those sparrows should be nice. Are you anywhere near GC Warbler or BH Vireo?

I think it is great that so many young people are interested in wildlife (and I thought you guys were all hanging out at the mall).

I think Firecrest hit on the best idea (a patch list)...

Obviously everyone wants to go on holiday... get to go to new places and see and learn new birds and other wildlife and the new habitats they occupy (and you can keep a list)...

In the long run, it is very rewarding to regularly visit a local patch and get to know it very well. Your list will not grow as fast, but you will gain an intimate knowledge of that patch (habitat)...

When you can't get out in the field, read...

I have some favorite books that recommend, but this response is already too long, so I will hold them unless someone asks...

T

NCTexas Birder
North Texas has a lot to offer! You are in the Central Flyway so during migration you have the chance to see Canadian summer residents. Travel to the west of I 35 and you get the western species and to the east of I 35 you have the eastern.

Join the Texas list server and you should be able to track the sightings of the birds as they migrate. Our Oklahoma list server has lots of sightings reported including our wildlife refuges. When migrants are on the move I can look them up in my books and study just before they hit my area.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back