• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alternatives to Tilley? (2 Viewers)

gambirder

Kev Roy
United Kingdom
I need a hat to wear practically every day in the tropics. I've bought three Tilley T3s in the past and found them pretty good. They give good protection from the sun and don't go as limp as a soggy KFC chip in the rain. Despite the "lifetime guarantee" however, after two years exposed to the African sun and great white toubab sweat they fall apart. Plus they are very expensive.

So why not just claim the Tilley lifetime replacement thingy? Frankly I've never tried it. The small print says stuff about washing out the sweat band and all that which I can't hand on heart say I've done every time it's had heavy wear...

So . . . does anyone have experience of an alternative to Tilleys they can recommend? Needs to
  • offer good sun protection
  • retain its shape when wet
  • be hard wearing

PS not this :gh: or this 3:) or this :king: . . .

Last edited:
How about a nice tweed flatcap?

Quite fancy having one myself, for the youthfull aristo/country type folk look!!

...or maybe not!!

Matt

Tilley makes the highest quality hats of their type that I'm aware of. So I'm not aware of anything more durable, let alone more durable and less expensive. If the T3 isn't doing it for you, I'd suggest trying another style. E.g. one of their hemp hats--though I've no personal experience with them. You might also call Tilley and see if there's anything they'd recommend.

Best,
Jim

Oh come on all ye hat-wearers . . . surely someone has a more considered opinion than that Matt's hat tat???

i'd suggest going on fishing magic and asking ron clay about his african bush hats, he lived in south africa for years and swears by the things, including for use in australia also.

though knowing him they will probably turn out to cost a fortune

Re: Tilley Hats and Guaranteed Replacement Hats

Hi Gambirder!

Just to let you know that if you sent us a worn out Tilley Hat (worn out being frayed, torn etc.) we will send you a brand new one - for each of your worn out ones if you still have them all. You can also change Hats with a Guaranteed Replacement to try another material (you may want to try the LTB series) - we just ask you to pay the difference between the old style and new one - if there is a difference. Please send in worn out Hats with $20.00 CAD to cover shipping costs and we will replace all your Hats. The Lifetime Guarantee is on all Hats - all the time - so we'll replace the replacements when they wear out and those replacements when they wear out.....you get the idea!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me (Website Coordinator) at [email protected] or customer service International at [email protected].

Hi Gambirder!

Just to let you know that if you sent us a worn out Tilley Hat (worn out being frayed, torn etc.) we will send you a brand new one - for each of your worn out ones if you still have them all. You can also change Hats with a Guaranteed Replacement to try another material (you may want to try the LTB series) - we just ask you to pay the difference between the old style and new one - if there is a difference. Please send in worn out Hats with $20.00 CAD to cover shipping costs and we will replace all your Hats. The Lifetime Guarantee is on all Hats - all the time - so we'll replace the replacements when they wear out and those replacements when they wear out.....you get the idea!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me (Website Coordinator) at [email protected] or customer service International at [email protected].

Fantastic! I'll take you up on that. Will email you separately as suggested. Many thanks!

From One Happy Customer :D

Fantastic! I'll take you up on that. Will email you separately as suggested. Many thanks!

From One Happy Customer :D

Yes, go for it. I've been wearing Tilleys since the late Pleistocene or so, and I've never had to take them up on it (I've never had one wear out), but I know their service reputation to be very good.

(I've lost a couple, but that's different).

Yes, go for it. I've been wearing Tilleys since the late Pleistocene or so, and I've never had to take them up on it (I've never had one wear out), but I know their service reputation to be very good.

(I've lost a couple, but that's different).

I've never fed one to an elephant but I have had one destroyed by my dog

Really didn't like my Tilley. I wear Barmah hats, I have a couple of leather ones for really wet days and, my favourite, is the drover cooler for sunny days. Easily the best hat I've ever had for sun protection and can handle a reasonable amount of rain as well.

Just to say my replacement Tilley arrived as promised. I went for an LTM5. It's not cotton duck like my old T3s but "Tilley Nylamtium®, a strong water-and-mildew resistant form of nylon". The suggestion from the good folks at Tilley is that this might stand up better to the rigours of everyday use in the tropics.

First impressions are that it's comfy, and the brim has a more stylish curve than the T3s. I aim to write a review after it's been worn in a bit. In the meantime many thanks to mandy@tilley (post #7) for pointing me in the right direction. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back