• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troubador's Review: MeoStar B1 10x42 HD (1 Viewer)

Just wonder if Allbinos tested the latest version that have better coatings,
Meopta states on their web-site:

Daylight Transmission - typical (%)
Twilight Transmission (%)
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/en/meostar-b1-10x42-hd/fwb84rxgxvbs/ctgBen.html

Not 86 and 82 as Allbinos suggests that Meopta do.

Also compare Gijs tests of old an new 8x32 Meostar
where the new have about 2% better transmission almost reaching 90% at daylight.
Meopta states 88 and 84 for the 8x32 Meostar.
Though the slanted curve might still be an issue.
But to me the curve indicates more of a color balance towards red than green-yellow,
like Gijs points out.

Last edited:
You hit on a lot of the same points I did in my review from a few months back.

In short: Heavy, but short and balanced. Excellent optics for the money.

I wear glasses and can just comfortably see the whole field wearing them. I don't know where Meopta measures the ER from, but on some 15mm ER binos I can see the whole field and on some I cannot.

The Allbinos review also seems to agree with both of our reviews. It is concerning that their sample had debris on the prism. Mine do not, I haven't heard of many issues with Meopta binoculars, hopefully their example was a fluke and not a sign of poor QC.

I wear glasses and can just comfortably see the whole field wearing them. I don't know where Meopta measures the ER from, but on some 15mm ER binos I can see the whole field and on some I cannot.

My understanding is that bins manufacturers all use the optical eye relief as their measurement because this is fixed by the optical system and is reliable from unit to unit. This is the distance from the top surface of the eyelens to the point at which the exit pupil allows the full field of view to be seen.

We, as bins users and buyers, tend to assume that eye relief refers to the amount of room there is in the interface between our eyes and eyecups or spectacles and eyecups and this is wrong. ER is an optical measurement only.
The space that we all think of as eye relief is affected by many different things including the nominal height of the eyecup rim, which in turn will be affected by manufacturing variances including those in the positioning of the threads in the optical tubes and on the eyecups, the tolerances between the components of the eyecups (they can have up to 3 components), if they are plastic there are variations in the mould cavities and variation in shrinkage after moulding etc. And then there is whether the eyecup threads have been lubed or not and how hard the eyecups are screwed in. And finally, what all this means with regard to positioning the eyes in the correct place also depends on the shape of the face, the size and shape of nose, the degree of protuberance or shrunkeness of the eyes, not to mention the design of the spectacles and lenses if worn and where the user positions these on his/her nose.

Its no wonder manufacturers stick to the optical eye relief measurement.

Lee

Last edited:
Hello,
Have black out effect this HD 10x42 Meopta ?
Thank you.
Wachi

Hi Wachi

I used these binoculars while wearing spectacles but I also tried them out without them and despite the poor-sounding eye relief of only 15mm I did not experience any blackouts.

But the question of blackouts is a very personal one and is related to the shape of your face and your spectacles if you wear them, so the best advice to try them out for yourself.

Lee

Hey Lee

You and meopta, I would have never guessed as you are such a Zeiss fan.

I have been tempted to buy the meopro HD for rough use

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back