• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semi-P Sandpiper? SW Scotland (1 Viewer)

GavCha

Found this bird at high tide this evening at The Wig, Loch Ryan among Dunlin & Ringed Plover. Wasn't 100% sure while watching it but having reviewed my images it obviously has webbing between toes.

Am I right in thinking its a Semi-P Sandpiper? (rather than Western...)

Gavin

Attachments

• IMGP4276.JPG
    IMGP4276.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 799
  • IMGP4279.JPG
    IMGP4279.JPG
    473 KB · Views: 689
I don't have runs on the board with this species, but it looks very good for semipalmated when comparing with pics in "the shorebird guide" (O'Brien, et al).

Surely the webbing between the middle and outer toes is the clincher Gavin. I was only thinking yesterday - good luck with getting a photo that shows the webbing in the feet clearly - great work.

Regards,

Allan

Someone has to say it, are we sure it isn't a western? Not too long in the bill,(not too short either) but if I'd have found it I would have been rather worried by the brightish upperparts. Some quiet bright rufous in the scaps. Really not the dull monotone expected from the usual juv semi-p's. Ive no experience of Western, just doesn't look classic semi-p to my eye.
Dave

And also out of interest: what first attracted your attention to this bird?

It is really not an easy individual, perhaps a shade duller than an average juv Little stint but it even shows a hint of a split supercilium (though again perhaps slightly less obvious than on an average juv Little).

Well done on getting those toes shots!!

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Ive got quite a few photos from various angles (Ive attached 3 more). Is there a particular feature/angle you would like to see?

Gavin

Attachments

• IMGP4277.JPG
    IMGP4277.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMGP4317.JPG
    IMGP4317.JPG
    423.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMGP4141.JPG
    IMGP4141.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 322
Thanks Tib78, to be honest I had it down as a Little Stint for quite a while but the lack of obvious white stripes (V's) on it's back got me wondering if it could be something else. I had also seen a juv Little Stint about a week ago and there just seemed to be something different about this one (not experienced with little waders).

Tried looking for webbing using scope/binoculars but I couldn't decide if I was seeing any or not.

Gavin

Interesting bird. Could the scaps have been even brighter when the feathers were not abraded? As Gavin says, very much like little stint and easily overlooked. Top marks for sticking with it and getting the shots.
Hopefully some comment from regular observers over the pond?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back