• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using bins... anything I should know? (3 Viewers)

boyinthebush

Registered Loser
I've read a few posts about digiscoping with bins and suddenly thought "hey, I could do that", previously under the impression I would need to dig deep in my moth ridden pockets to have a dabble. No more dots in a tree with the caption "it's a Goldcrest, honest!"

It has thrown up a couple of questions though, especially as I'm about to buy myself some new bins.

Ok, I've read on a previous post that a BCF Camera Apdaptor should work with most bins... as I'm buying new ones I obviously want to make sure that's true in my case. Is there anything I should avoid when investing in my new bins that may cause me issues with such a device... shape of eyecups etc??

Secondly, I presume I should make sure the bins can be mounted on a tripod/monopod.

On a more generic note, how do these adaptors cope with the optical zoom on the camera itself... is there room inside the adaptor to zoom up and down or do you just not press the zoom button when you're clamped in?

Thanks for all your help and apologies if I'm asking an "oh not again" question... I did search first honestly. Thankyou kind people.

Jane Turner said:
I have done it a few times.. always suprisingly successfully. The only problem is holding your bins still enough. I tend to straddle them over my scope!

Why not use the scope,Jane?..I only use bins for pics when I haven't got a scope with me.I agree about holding them steady and it's most difficult if the bird is above you,say in a tree.

This Squacco Heron was taken by hand-holding a Coolpix 4500 to the eyepiece of my hand-held binoculars (Leica 8x32BA) I took about four picures, and three of them were quite acceptable.

Attachments

• squacco2.jpg
    squacco2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 366
Grousemore said:
Why not use the scope,Jane?..I only use bins for pics when I haven't got a scope with me.I agree about holding them steady and it's most difficult if the bird is above you,say in a tree.

The flock was only 10ft away.... I could only get parts of a bird in the view and it was the flock that was impressive

All this is sounding very encouraging... thanks all. I know I'll never get shots as good as using a scope but it's better than nothing and will certainly provide a bit of fun... which is what it's all about. And the images in this thread are extremely encouraging.

I've had a look through old posts but still not found much info on adaptors and eye cup shapes (see my original post above)... if anyone has any comments or experience?

I am also very interested in answers to those questions, I have tried taking pics with very poor results, are there any tricks/hints for instance with focusing.
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back