• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (3 Viewers)

Wow, nice luck with the kingfishers! There are a few in the back of my compound, I've seen them three times today, but I'm not sure if I saw the same one or different ones. They really are beautiful.

River Rea 8.00
A quick run along the River Rea and the kingfisher flew past. (fourth time now at that location)
In my back garden I had a pair of Nuthatch on the feeder which is becoming a regular and LTTs have stopped by a couple times. Robins, Dunnocks and Blackbirds chasing each other now and again for garden rights.

7.00 Bourn Brook and River Rea
The kingfisher on the Rea was in it's usual spot (fourth time now in recent weeks). I just heard it call and then it flew past and then flew high up into the trees in an arc, not sure if it flew high to avoid me or if it was off somewhere or if it was doing an arc and then flying back down the river. Whatever it was doing it was stunning flying as it banked. The kingfisher was back on the Bourn Brook in the same spot, (third time in recent weeks) it then flew down the brook and I later stopped by the Uni to take a look up the brook and I could just see it on a perch in the distance. Great!

7.30 - River Rea in the wind and rain, the kingfisher went up and down (sixth time now)
3.45 - A run along the River Cole from Trittiford, I thought the kingfisher would be near Sarehole Mill. But as I ran along Wonder Walks I just saw something blue above the river. Yes a kingfisher sat on a perch, never seen one at this location. Not visited this Cole section for a few months so it was great to see one still present!!

11.00 Bourn Brook and River Rea.
A Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook in the usual spot (fifth time seen) and then another on the River Rea (seventh time seen). On my way back I thought I heard the Bourn Brook kingfisher calling further up the brook. I then heard it call a few times but couldn't see it. I think this could mean it's an adult. I shall have to try harder to get a photo to check this.

Another four Kingfisher Saturday!

I thought this afternoon, I would check out a different section of the River Cole, where last winter there was a Kingfisher. It's at the start of the Kingfisher Country Park. Well much to my delight there was one there again and I saw it catch a fish and then there was another! Right next to the other one on the next tree. Great! There was also 2 Grey Wagtails.
This morning both Kingfishers were in the usual spot on the River Rea (the eight time) and the Bourn Brook (the sixth time). Great!

Last edited:
Two Kingfisher Sunday

Finally I got a photo of the Bourn Brook Kingfisher!! Not the greatest photo as it was really windy. For some the reason the kingfisher has really bright colours.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23007568336/in/dateposted-public/
Whilst I was struggling to take a photo in the wind, it caught a fish. There were 2 mallards on the brook and a Grey Wagtail. The kingfisher appears to be a mature male with great colours. I wonder if it's the male father from the River Rea or another one? Next I need to get a photo of the one on the Rea. I wonder what happened to last winters Bourn Brook female. Here is my last photo of her on the Rea with her mate, you can just see her behind the bush.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/22615196988/in/dateposted-public/
Back on the River Rea this morning was another kingfisher. It stopped a few times before flying off.
Then later this morning on my run along the River Cole, there were 2 Little Egrets. Great!!

Four Kingfisher, Five Heron, Two Little Egret Saturday!!

All four Kingfisher this morning were in locations I had seen them before. The ones on the Bourn Brook and River Cole, KFCP, I just looked from the bridge and they flew from their perches. It was a quick run along the River Rea and the kingfisher was there waiting. The one on the River Cole, Hall Green took a one hour run to find but in the end it was on the same perch as the other weekend. Also present on the Rea was a heron and along the Cole from Sparkhill to Trittiford were three or four heron, one grey wagtail and the two Little Egret near Trittiford. Great!!

Four Kingfisher Sunday!

The Kingfishers on the Bourn Brook and the River Cole, Small Heath were on the same perches. The Kingfisher on the River Rea, was just a short distance from it's usual spot and this gave me the chance to see it dive for and eat a fish. It also hovered to another river perch before flying further down the river. The Hall Green, Trittiford, River Cole Kingfisher took some searching for and was finally just down from Trittiford. Great now I've found it a few times. Another regular to add to the list. Also present on this section was a grey wagtail and a male Bullfinch feeding in the trees.

Four Kingfisher Saturday!!

The first kingfisher this morning was on the Bourn Brook (10th time). It was on the wall by the brook when I was looking for it in the brook and this time it flew off down the road to the brook instead of the tunnel, which was good to see. The second was on the River Cole, Small Heath (4th time now) and appeared flying from nowhere up the river and did an arc to double back on itself and head back down the river. Great flying. The third was on the Dingles section of the River Cole, just down from Trittiford (4th time now). I heard it calling as I ran through the woods next to the River and saw it stop a couple time as I ran back down the river. The fourth was the regular on the River Rea (12th time now) and for a change it was up high in a tree and flew down the river. A great morning for Kingfisher flying. Also present was a male bullfinch.

Sunday Kingfisher Pair Territorial Dispute

This morning as I ran along the River Cole, Small Heath, Kingfisher Country Park I could hear continuous Kingfisher calling that sounded like it was right in front of me. But there were no Kingfisher. I'd not heard calls like that for some time. It was territorial, repeated calling. I carried on for another half a mile to the bridge and there was the kingfisher on a river perch. Then it flew off and it quickly reappeared, too quick. Then it flew to another perch and I realised there were two. The calls had carried on the wind up the river. They were on the same perch then flew to other perches, they sat calling to each other for a couple minutes, one flew closer to me. Then one flew off and the other flew after it. It had to fly high up in front of me to double back. Great!! Also a grey wagtail, a wren, sparrows in the hedge and a starling feeding in the road.

I was out too early and it was still dark on the Bourn Brook and River Rea. I thought I wouldn't find anything on the River Cole, Small Heath, Kingfisher Country Park with all the wind. But there on the bend on some tall grass was the Kingfisher. Great!! I saw it a couple times as it flew off down the river. Then there was more than a dozen Long Tailed Tits on one side of the bridge and a few more on the other side. Great!! (Later on the River Cole, Trittiford, there was a Heron, Little Egret and another Kingfisher)

My first sea Kingfisher

OK this is not Birmingham but I thought worth sharing;
I visited my parents today who have retired to Brighton. I'd seen reports of a Kingfisher at the Brighton Marina - basically a harbour, so thought I would take a look. I'd only been there 10 minutes watching a few cormorants diving when I heard the distinctive two tone call of a Kingfisher, above the call of some starlings on apartment roofs. I quickly scanned the water in front of me and saw a kingfisher flying past and it landed on a boat mooring rope before flying off. Great my first sea Kingfisher! I didn't think it possible until I saw it. Later on as the sun went down the starlings had gathered and were doing a murmuration.

Three Kingfisher Saturday

It's always good to still be amazed by the Kingfisher.
The first this morning was when I could barely see along the River Cole, Small Heath this morning due to the rain and dark morning. The light was so poor. I thought I'd never see a kingfisher so I gave up and just went for a run instead. I couldn't see the river or the trees on the river very well. I'd only been running for a couple minutes when I heard a loud splash in the river. It was the kingfisher diving into the river and it caught a fish and then returned to its perch and knocked it onto the branch to stun it before swallowing it. Great!!
The next was when I found the Bourn Brook kingfisher in it's usual spot and it did not fly off. It sat on it's perch and let me take photo's of it. Not the greatest of photo's as it was raining. But I've never had a non hide kingfisher not move. Amazing!! The third kingfisher was on the River Rea.
Bourn Brook Kingfisher
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23669836506/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:
Another brook, another bridge, another kingfisher

I thought I'd go for another run, this time along the Bourn, Bournville. On BTO, S. Hares had reported a kingfisher on the Bourn. I've had a few looks for it in the past few weeks but not found it. I had forgotten about the reports and didn't expect to find it. But when I got to Stirchley I took a look over a bridge on the Bourn and was pleasantly surprised to find a kingfisher. Another one!
I then continued my run and ran along the River Rea. I thought I'd have a look along a different stretch to my usual River Rea kingfisher, a couple miles further along. I looked on a slow part of the river hidden by thick hedge and trees from the footpath and bingo, yet another kingfisher.
I reckon that's two on the Bourn, two on the Bourn Brook and two on the River Rea in the section where the Bourn and Bourn Brook joins the Rea. Great!!

Last edited:
Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook this morning.
I checked a few other sites, very low water at Edgebaston Res where the trees are for a KF, there was GCG, Cormorants and 2 heron, on the River Rea, City Centre there was a small group of LTT and a Grey Wagtail. Yesterday on a fishing lake in Rubery there were 2 goosander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back