• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dove flew into my window (1 Viewer)

rjm022

last night i heard a small thud. i looked outside and saw a dove that apparentlt flew into my window. it looked alittle dazed-obviously. by the time i went outside, i did not see the bird, so assumed the dove flew off-outhurt. but this morning went i went outside i saw the dove not too far from the window (how i missed the bird last night- i don't know) it was just lying there with its wings in the normal position. the dove is can walk and i saw it moves its wings-but it wont' fly away. i put out some bread and bird seed but it has not eaten. i can get close enough to pick it up and it won't try to get away!! being late aug, i don't know if it could be a young dove learning to fly and lost from its mother. i don't know what to do. any ideas? thanks. rob

The best thing to do is leave it alone. It will either get its bearings and get out of there or something else will have a meal, hopefully something native to the area.

rjm022 said:
its native to the area. my yard is full of them. i just hate to see it suffer.

No, I meant, I hope something native to the area will eat it if it is eaten, not some dumb house cat or something.

Hi rjm022,
Only read your post just now, sorry. If the dove has gone, great, but if it's still there - can you take it to a vet? Might seem daft to some people ( not me ) but it's an option and from what I can glean your vets appear to be rather amenable to a quick assessment of wildlife being brought in and doing what needs doing. At worst the dove has to be put to sleep, but better than suffering, as you already said.
Best of luck and please keep us posted on the proceedings.
Bluetit

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back