• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash Bird Paintings for All (3 Viewers)

I wasn't trying to do a Tom Keating - it's just at silly-o'clock in the morning I wasn't feeling very creative (very sore throat, y'know - don't know if I mentioned that) - I could barely even see the paper and someone's also nicked my specs!

OK Tim, please explain....who is Tom Keating.....and is that Ennion? yours in the style of.....including the envelope....I for one can't tell:gh:

Here's the original, Colleen - and for Tom Keating, a quick GOOOOOOOOGle (other search engines are available) should enlighten.

Attachments

• therealdeal.jpg
    therealdeal.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 105
Thanks Tim would never have seen this without your post, and it is not to be missed...how he noticed the shadow and reflection at once and even the little stride in the water ripple....geeze!

looked up Tom, but surely you don't mean that NY artist here

This thread could be one of the best yet. Fantastic stuff appearing, I'm going to try getting out of the decorating this weekend and get another couple of flashes done!

Mike

at last, after looking at this thread in woderment for the past few days, I have my own flash to share! A Red Kite that I saw from the car near Oxford this afternoon on the way back from Wales. the no-outline thing didn't work out too well, I did the birds underwings first, then added in the head, conveniently not realising now I had to have the head hidden away behind the wing, which makes it look like a rather weird kite! Also the tail isn't very kite-like, and I am getting used to using proper paper! Still, it was good fun, even though much of my stuff is 15-minute flashes anyway! This was the first time I have attempted the bird without a pretty detailed outline, and a damn good challenge too, but I like the effect it makes anyway, I just need tons more practice!
IMGP1522.jpg

Last edited:
good work Liam....yes the little nothings of 15 min take a deal of skill and knowledge...remember I've been painting for over 40 years, tho I'm new to birds...and others here have years of practice too.

Still one of the valuable things to me on this is that it shows me what I know and what pieces are missing so next time out I see in a new way...and for a beginner like you this is very valuable information to see what needs more observation, what skills need honing....

keep up the good work, you are growing a lot here... re the skills, a good basic drawing class would save you years of trying to figure out a lot of the foundation principals of creating good work, tho you can do it on your own with books or dvd, it's much easier and more fun with a good teacher.

Good start Liam. I know it's difficult to leave outlines behind but once you've done it a few times it will start to seem natural. Soon the brush seems as much your primary instrument of art as the pencil.

There's a bit of a story to this one. I've related it in greater detail on my thread. In a nutshell I did a quick watercolor of a bunch of Semipalmated Plovers with a few Semipalmeted Sandpipers amidst lots of muddy broken bottles yesterday. It wasn't much but it did make me think I still could make a more finished work of it.

But I felt I really needed to do a better job with the stars of the painting, the Semipalmated Plovers. So this is just a quick study of one of them. In this one I did do a couple of outlines in light watercolor, knowing that they'd eventually be covered up by watercolor washes.

Attachments

• semiipalmtedPloverWC060210.jpg
    semiipalmtedPloverWC060210.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 78
absoultely super Ken...my favorite of all your works...outlines are one thing, a few location marks are another;)

great work Liam and Ken

Liam - at the start of anything new, when you're finding your feet, enthusiasm is the driving factor -and that you have plenty of - the kite is a great little piece - and your critique of it means the next one will be better, and better and so on.

Ken - What a super little piece - such a cheeky little bird, and so simply done

Good work Liam. Working in different ways is always a challenge and that's what makes it worthwhile. None of us would grow as artists if we didn't step away from our comfort zones every once in a while and try something new. The experience gained filters down through and stays in your consciousness when you work on your next painting. (Oh and my decorating can get very messy indeed! Especially as I rush the last wall...)

Ken I love this little plover, great capture of the quizzical expression; What are these strange pebbles and why are they on my mud!?

Mike

Right before I started back on my barny painting this morning I loosened up with a fifteen minute flash from a thumbnail sketch I made a while ago. Fun! I think I'll try for another at the end of the session (which I'm just going back to now!)

Mike

Attachments

• 15min-2.jpg
    15min-2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 79
Right before I started back on my barny painting this morning I loosened up with a fifteen minute flash from a thumbnail sketch I made a while ago. Fun! I think I'll try for another at the end of the session (which I'm just going back to now!)

Mike

Excellent Mike! I will have to try something this morning. great to do aren't
they!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back