• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OM-D EM-1 (1 Viewer)

will pretend that i did not see this, and convince my self that i am a happy owner of E5 and EPL5 and i should not think of any change.

i think i will be sick of frustration.
I don't think you really need an E-M1 Duha. You get some magnificent images with the E5 AND EPL5. On the other hand I need all the help I can get. ;)

Ron

The E-M1 does look like a beautifully designed camera! I am pleased to see Olympus re-committing to the "serious" or semi-pro micro 4/3 concept, and I will be tempted to upgrade from the E-M5. For me personally, the most appealing new features are the slight increase in size with a bigger built-in hand grip, better ergonomics overall with more space for buttons, and more direct controls for easier adjustments without looking at the camera, better EVF, focus-peaking, and built-in WiFi with remote camera control from a mobile device. The improved autofocus is also nice but less important to me because I use a Nikon D7100 system for telephoto/autofocus bird photography. I don't think the new E-M1 sensor will show significant or noticeably better image quality over the E-M5.
I think you have summed up the appealing features of the E-M1 very well Dave. I don't think there is much point updating from the E-M5 at the moment as I doubt that there will be any great improvement in the image quality.

My E-30 is four years old and, although I really like the handling, the sensor is now lagging well behind the latest models. It also developed a fault in the on/off switch recently and, although I managed to cure that, I don't trust it completely. It just felt as if it was the right time to invest in a new camera.

I have downloaded the Owners' Manual and, boy, it is complicated. Every control is programmable and can be set up in different ways. I hope I can get my head around it when it arrives!

Ron

Last edited:
I'm tempted to get the e-m1 as my e510 is on it's last legs. It' a bit pricey though, but might work out cheaper than selling all my lenses and switching to a different system.
I'm hoping to try one out with my lenses including the crucial Bigma next Saturday.

Mick

I'm tempted to get the e-m1 as my e510 is on it's last legs. It' a bit pricey though, but might work out cheaper than selling all my lenses and switching to a different system.
I'm hoping to try one out with my lenses including the crucial Bigma next Saturday.

Mick

Hi Mick you have the 4/3 Bigma ?

I don't think you really need an E-M1 Duha. You get some magnificent images with the E5 AND EPL5. On the other hand I need all the help I can get. ;)

Ron

hello Ron, i am so honored by you kind words, and a pleasure to be any help. but trust me manuals always make things difficult, but once you have the camera you will be familiar with it in no time, not much different from your E3, might just be a smaller, you will need time to adjust with the EVF, otherwise all new tec will make things easier.

and yes you are right i don't need a new camera, but the problem is that the EPL5 is a very fragile camera, even compared to the EPL1, and it struggles very much when in the heat, basically all functions stop, only pic taking but the 9fps shooting becomes very slow. only God knows the future but i think it will not last, so i keep on thinking of a quick replacement, of course neither OM bodies will not be, may be the EP5 or if possible the EP6 i know a person who can get it fro me from Japan. but then who knows i might be wrong, and i wish so, because only now i started to get along well with it.

Yes. Got one from ebay last year.

i got one, as far as my experanice its focus does not work witht he m4/3, it did not work with the EPL1 nor with the EPL5 .

but i think witht he built in digital TC and a 300mm lens either from Lumix or Olympus one do not need it for m4/3.

just out of curiosity for how much did you get it.

another thing wonder if sigma will make long tele lenses for m4/3.

The em1 has been designed to work with old four thirds lenses so I'm hoping it will work.
I'll let you know my results.
It was £450, saw one go recently for £650, also seen one go for under £400!

Mick

I decided to skip the E-5 as my E-3 tends to get used mainly when it is raining hard when I need its excellent waterproofing etc. and I use other cameras most of the time.

This may be attractive, if only for the weight saving of the E-3 in its standard configuration of battery grip, two batteries and the hand strap. It looks impressive but really defeated the whole concept of 4/3 .

Hopefully it will be just as waterproof with the right lenses and if the 4/3 convertor doesn't leak!

I decided to skip the E-5 as my E-3 tends to get used mainly when it is raining hard when I need its excellent waterproofing etc. and I use other cameras most of the time.

This may be attractive, if only for the weight saving of the E-3 in its standard configuration of battery grip, two batteries and the hand strap. It looks impressive but really defeated the whole concept of 4/3 .

Hopefully it will be just as waterproof with the right lenses and if the 4/3 convertor doesn't leak!

weather prof means nothing to me here in Hot and sunny Jeddah, all Olympus cameras suffer badly with heat, but to a varying degrees, the worse is the EPL5 then the E620, the EPl1 and E5 cope better but still can't perform normally, guess the term weather prof goes only for water prof, wish someone form Olympus get aware of this.

but i have to note that both mirrorless i have used were sealed so good against dust, even when i used them in sand storms.

Had an all too brief go with an em1 with bigma & 70-300. Seemed to focus at least as fast as my e510. Would have liked longer to be certain.

Having said that....I've ordered one. Fingers crossed.

Had an all too brief go with an em1 with bigma & 70-300. Seemed to focus at least as fast as my e510. Would have liked longer to be certain.

Having said that....I've ordered one. Fingers crossed.
Nice one Mick. Have you registered for the free grip and adapter?

Ron

Yes did it all via Olympus website. I notice the offer states "while stocks last" though. Hope we got in there early enough.
Exiting times! The remote ipad control feature may have some birding/wildlife advantages also the focus tracking possibly. Mainly looking forward to using high iso values as my e510 is poor above 400.
Mick

To me, the biggest advantage of m4/3 is not size of camera but of the lenses.

Niels
Same for me, and also, as a user of old manual lenses, the number of types of mounts for which adapters are available due to the small flange to sensor distance.

Hi All,

I'm an E5 user, and usually shoot with my 2x tele and 300 2.8. I too decided to upgrade to this system, and will be real curious how that set-up will work on birds in flight and continuous autofocus. Sometimes it seems on the E5 it has to hunt a bit but I guess that is pretty typical. I really enjoy photographing raptors in flight, and am hoping that it will be able to lock on OK.

BirdPadre77, welcome to birdforum!

please let us know how you get on with the new system!

Niels

After about a month's wait my E-M1 body arrived late last week. The camera is proving to be very popular so there are lots of customers waiting for them. Unfortunately, I haven't received the adapter and grip yet, although they might be arriving by the end of the week.

I became bored having a camera which I couldn't use as I didn't have a suitable lens, so on Saturday I went to the WEX showroom in Norwich and purchased an Olympus 75-300 mk 2 zoom. I know it is a somewhat slow lens but it is quite sharp and is very light and compact compared to the 50-200 SWD, which I am used to.

On Saturday it was dull and raining but I attempted to photograph some of the birds in my garden, including the Blackbird and Dunnock.

Yesterday it brightened up in the afternoon and I found the Robin sitting in a patch of sunlight.

I am finding the camera quite challenging as everything is controllable and there is a very steep learning curve. I have to say that I absolutely love it, though. It is a little gem of a camera, beautifully built and it feels just the right size. The viewfinder is brilliant - huge and bright.

Obviously I am only scratching the surface of its capabilities but I am quite pleased with my first efforts and I look forward to seeing what can be achieved when I become more accustomed to it.

Ron

Attachments

• Fluffed-Blackbird.jpg
    Fluffed-Blackbird.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 374
  • Dunnock-on-post.jpg
    Dunnock-on-post.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 410
  • Sunny-Robin-small.jpg
    Sunny-Robin-small.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 370
  • Sunny-Robin-2-small.jpg
    Sunny-Robin-2-small.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back