• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gh5 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Weight is disappointing--725g, making it easily the heaviest m4/3 camera AFAIK. (Original GH4 560g; G85/G80 505g; EM-1 497g; EM-1 mk. II is 574g; Nikon D500 is 860g). Not a major issue, but maybe enough to tip the balance for some given it's a close call between GH5 and the competitors.

Last edited:
And the GH4 will continue as a budget model.

However, for a bird photographer, I believe that the G80/85 probably at this point is a better idea than the GH4 (unless you love video). If the improved AF/advanced DFD really knocks your socks off, then the GH5 might be better. I am myself wondering if a switch to Oly will be coming my way.

Niels

It may be worth waiting to see if the GX8 update ? gains even better DFD at a lower price,i guess the thing is you could always be waiting for the next model.

you could always be waiting for the next model.
Yes, you are right. At the moment I am looking around.

The trick to me is: once a decision has been made and the money has been handed over, stop looking for a year or two, otherwise you are bound to be disappointed that you did not wait a little longer ...

Niels

It may be worth waiting to see if the GX8 update ? gains even better DFD at a lower price,i guess the thing is you could always be waiting for the next model.

Base on what you need and which lenses you have, I use the GX8 with Pana Leica DG 100-400 for birding before, AF tracking are not so good VS G85 (you can see my photos in birdforum). But GX8 are good enough for general use. GH5 are best on video shooting 4K (non- corp size)and not only for video , th e buffer and better that G85 also with double UHS-II card slot (you can save RAW/ video in one card, the other keep for jpg) if you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back