• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (2 Viewers)

Nice shot Peter, was shortly after I had left on Monday. Was up beside Premier Periclase on Wednesday morning and got a few pics of it in the distance. Massive crops. No sign of it since.crane22.jpg

crane21.jpg

Matt.

Maurice rang me Sunday and I was there with Billy and Maurice Monday morning, Had to buzz off early and was only home when Billy rang me to say it was there. Could,nt go Tuesday so was glad to get on Wednessday. A little bit of excitement into our dull lives. Wont be long now until the terns are back.
Matt.

One of two buzzards soaring near the Ardee Road just outside Dundalk today.

BTW great crane shots!

Attachments

• IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 45
Dipper from the Castletown river - just beside the MI. A pair are nesting under the motorway bridge. Kingfisher whizzed past as well.

Attachments

• Dipper Castletown Rvr.jpg
    Dipper Castletown Rvr.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 45
Hi Peter, Was in one of the channels, looked for it this morning but no sign also flushed a small bird from the lane, crake or something have no idea what it was . Sandwich Tern this morning off Giles Quay, two Sand martin back at Templetown.

Avocets Lurgangreen

Hi Peter, Was in one of the channels, looked for it this morning but no sign also flushed a small bird from the lane, crake or something have no idea what it was . Sandwich Tern this morning off Giles Quay, two Sand martin back at Templetown.

Thanks for that Frank. Shame about the crake!Or whatever it was...

2 Avocets found this evening by Eamon Larrissey in the main channel at Lurgangreen . Very distant pic attached you have to use some imagination and they were roosting.

Possibly a county first?

Attachments

• avocets.JPG
    avocets.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 68
Cattle Egret

Cattle Egret on Louth List now Peter.

I had a frustrating twitch for the Cattle Egret this evening. It was on show 2 minutes before I arrived, but did not show again, it was hidden in the channel. We had what was presumably the Great White Egret going to roost in near darkness in the conifers along the Fane, west of Lurgangreen.

A pretty respectable list of rare birds there over the last couple of days.

Great White Egret
Cattle Egret
Avocet
Pink footed Goose
Black Brent
Canada Goose
Barnacle Goose

Who knows what else might be lurking out there in the marsh!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back