• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quality Hiking Bin (non alpha) (1 Viewer)

It's too bad Nikon doesn't put a little more effort into this 8x25 bin. It is just about ideal size and has a lot wider view than almost anything its size. I just about bought one from Sportsman's Warehouse a couple of weeks ago for $80. The only thing that really put me off was of the several I have tried about half were dim and fuzzy and didn't impress me much. The last couple seemed perfectly acceptable. If Nikon would phase correct these and update the coatings I could like it just fine. Maybe upgrade it to the Monarch standard keeping the specs it has.

It's too bad Nikon doesn't put a little more effort into this 8x25 bin. It is just about ideal size and has a lot wider view than almost anything its size. I just about bought one from Sportsman's Warehouse a couple of weeks ago for $80. The only thing that really put me off was of the several I have tried about half were dim and fuzzy and didn't impress me much. The last couple seemed perfectly acceptable. If Nikon would phase correct these and update the coatings I could like it just fine. Maybe upgrade it to the Monarch standard keeping the specs it has.

Your right with Monarch standard and a 25mm aperture it would give you an exit pupil that would be way better than all these 8x20 alpha roofs. I just tried a Nikon 10x25 LX and I still prefer the Nikon Prostaff 8x25 reverse porro for the bigger exit aperture. I ordered one of these PentaX UCF 8X25 w porro's to compare with the Prostaff. They are a little weird looking but on Amazon they have good reviews." As for the reverse porros, I briefly looked at a Pentax WP model worth considering, similar to the Travelite EX and was under $100. Just not a fan of the this design...too bulky and just plain ugly as well."

Last edited:
It's too bad Nikon doesn't put a little more effort into this 8x25 bin. It is just about ideal size and has a lot wider view than almost anything its size.

While I can't speak for pdecker, this bino might be "good enough" for the type of alpine/ridgeline hiking I do here in Japan. Weight and space are at a premium for me and "great" optics are a secondary consideration on hike. They have to fit in my pants pocket or waist pouch without being very heavy. I take a $30 cheapie 10x25 double hinge now but its tunnel-like view is what annoys me the most. An optic like this Nikon would have been considered state-of-the-art 20yrs ago. Heck it's ultrawide ~65° AFoV pretty much puts it at the top of the class for a compact where ~50° or less is the norm.

Truth be told, the last couple I looked at were probably good enough go what I need it to do too. It's going to have to come from one of the last two dealers so I can look at the one I buy.

Steve,
It just occurred to me that Kreuger is in Sisters, Oregon. Did you ever try their 8 x 25 Back Country?
Bob

Yes. Good optics, but they are too close to an 8x32 in size to do what I want. To be honest, my attention was elsewhere and I didn't pay a lot of attention.

Steve,
It just occurred to me that Kreuger is in Sisters, Oregon. Did you ever try their 8 x 25 Back Country?
Bob

Something I have wondered about for several weeks, but have been too lazy to call and find out about is that when Kruger had the Columbia page on their website, the Backcountry's were advertised as having "silvered and phase coated prisms". Now that they have deleted the Columbia page and added a page for the Kruger Backcountry's, there is no longer any mention of silvered prisms. I also note that the MSRP has gone down as well.

Have they "cheapened" them up, or merely omitted the advertising on the silvered prisms?

Last edited:
I concur about the objectives whose size is so close to 32mm. Faced with this same situation back in '96 I ended up with a pair of Pentax 9x21 UCF-Mini reverse poros. I still own them and have remained surprised at the images they provide all these years. Plus they fit easily in larger pockets (e.g. breast pockets on safari style shirts, etc.) as well as having made great briefcase bins before I retired.

If you can go up a small notch in size and weight, the inexpensive Leupold Yosemites in either 6x or 8x, or compact 8x32s like my Pentax make solid carry choices.

These days I personally would find room for the even bigger 7x36 ED2. Just plain great :)

Last edited:
Bob,

It is that type of thinking that turned me towards that Zhumell Short Barrel I commented on in the Others forum. I love the compact nature of that binocular (compared to other full-sized 42 mm binoculars) but with the large objective. It is far from what I believe the original poster is looking for but would agree that finding that compromise between size and performance is the key.

What about the Pentax 8x25's.DCF SW. Are they any good?
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-62593-8x25-DCF-Binocular/dp/B0014PTIDK/ref=pd_cp_p_1
Also, what about the Pentax 8x36's DCF Nv. They are cheaper than the 9x25's.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Outdoors Magazine picked the Pentax 8x36 NV as its "Best Buy" in binoculars. Having tried one, I can see why. Although these come in a very "Plain Jane" package, they are lightweight, have thumb indents, cone shaped eyecups that are very comfortable, and surprisingly good views with much better edge sharpness than you would expect for this price point. Right now, with the $25 rebate, they can be had for a bit over $150! (or less, just saw Amazon's price)

Even though "midsized," they are as long as a full sized roof (6" long - Amazon's specs are incorrect). Perhaps not the best size for hiking.

Brock

Last edited:
Outdoors Magazine picked the Pentax 8x36 NV as its "Best Buy" in binoculars. Having tried one, I can see why. Although these come in a very "Plain Jane" package, they are lightweight, have thumb indents, cone shaped eyecups that are very comfortable, and surprisingly good views with much better edge sharpness than you would expect for this price point. Right now, with the $25 rebate, they can be had for a bit over $150! (or less, just saw Amazon's price)

Even though "midsized," they are as long as a full sized roof (6" long - Amazon's specs are incorrect). Perhaps not the best size for hiking.

Brock

Phase coated though and only $120.00 shipped to your door with $25.00 rebate. Sounds like a good bargain but your right in that they are kind of big.

I revisted the OPs opening post and noted he has the Yosemite 8x30s which he deemed too big and heavy. Given that I second my nomination of my long discontinued Pentax UCF-Mini 9x21 as easily filling the bill :) The current Pentax UCF WP 8x25 or perhaps better yet, the Minox BV II 8x25 would be my choice today without breaking the bank.

I revisted the OPs opening post and noted he has the Yosemite 8x30s which he deemed too big and heavy. Given that I second my nomination of my long discontinued Pentax UCF-Mini 9x21 as easily filling the bill :) The current Pentax UCF WP 8x25 or perhaps better yet, the Minox BV II 8x25 would be my choice today without breaking the bank.

I just tried the Pentax UCF WP 8x25 and I didn't like it as well as the Nikon 8x25 Prostaff which is my favorite of the compacts that I have tried. I liked the ergonomics of the Prostaff better and I liked the rubber armour. Also, I preferred the optics of the Prostaff. I just tried a Nikon 10x25 LXL also and I liked the Prostaff even better than the LXL. It is less fussy with the bigger exit pupil.

I revisted the Pentax UCF 8x25mm WP a few days ago and came to the conclusion I would prefer their far more pocketable (albeit a cargo pants pocket!) DCF 9x28 LV roof given its similar specs.

FWIW, in my search I came a across and older reverse porro Pentax model (~10yrs?) UCF 8x24mm that has an exceptional 7.5° FoV and weighs under 300g. Pretty cheap at <$50 when found on auction too. Then again, the 6.5x21mm Papilio might be just as good and can be bought new.

I think my ideal hiking bin would be 6x24 with a 10°+ FoV, weatherproof and not more than 250g. The reason for 6x is even at 8x these compacts have fairly shallow depth of focus at the sub-30m distances these small objective-lens optics excel at.

Last edited:
My Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 reverse porro has just about everything right, optically I find it amazingly clear and sharp, 131m/1000m FOV is very very nice, the 6.5x mag is quite good with no handshake, the feel in my hands is excellent, the 3.2 mm exit pupil gives adequate brightness and is easy to align to my pupils. The depth of field is really good. Ergonomically, I like the stubby shape, the focus wheel is quick and smooth, the weight (300 g) is a tremendous relief compared to my other bins.
I've shortened the strap to make the bins sit high on my chest.
The light weight makes them almost unnoticeable, I can wear them all day without problems, can raise them quicker to my eyes than any other bin, can raise them many times, without fatigue at the end of a day's birding ( with my heavier bins I became unwilling to lift them after long hours in the field), plus I can hold them much longer to my eyes.
They have a plasticky feel, but seem to be sturdy enough; today they dropped off the couch on a tile floor, I had them beside me and when I stood up I kind of catapulted them off the couch caused by relieving the couch pillow from my bodyweight which counteracted as a catapult to the adjacent pillow the bin was lying on. Pyooooow!
The bins rolled under the coffeetable, when I picked them up I cursed myself for not paying attention, but they were fine; no visible damage on the outside and alignment was unharmed. No cracks or loose bits inside, everything was OK fortunately.

I use them as my main birding bins, even at long range they are quite satisfying.
To my eyes, these are the sharpest bins I've had in decades. The only thing I would like to see improved, is waterproofing, though the optical window in front of the moving objectives should keep out moisture and dust.
Oh, and the focus range goes from very close (0.45m) to well past infinity, quite impressive.

Best regards,

Ronald

RJM,

FWIW here are the specs on my circa 1996 UCF-Mini 9x21s:

3.2" x 4.1" x 2" (80 x 105 x 50mm)
7.4 oz (210g)
57.5 to 71.5mm IPD
9.8' (3m) close focus
8.0° FOV (420' @ 1000yds; 120m @ 1000m)

I don't have a picture handy and couldn't find one for the 9x but here's the 8x21 I found on line which is the same basic model.

Attachments

• 6044630408.jpg
    6044630408.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Bob, thanks for that but when I saw 8.0° FOV (420' @ 1000yds; 120m @ 1000m) I did a double take because that would be an AMAZING spec for an rp compact. So I did a quick search and found pics here and the pdf manual here. Unfortunately your FoV spec is for the 7x21. Still quite respectable though for a 7x bin and their weight is certainly ideal.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back