• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (1 Viewer)

I better not go on the Lakenheath trip (I'm probably working anyway), as I am going there and Weeting with my local RSPB group on the 26th.

I'll let you guys know how we get on!

After a good visit to Stains Res with Kev and catching up with Bob Warden got to Tices 11am scaning meadow 8 Yellow Wagtails . There were two different races 2 with yellow heads also 2 Dunlin .Returned 6 30 pm still there untill the arse with 2 pointers walked across meadow have i got the hump with him .We have a meeting with Hanson ect tomorrow i shall sure see what we can do about it.
Rich H

That explains why there was nothing when I visited this evening - 19:15 - 20:30
apart from Sand Martins & single Wheatear.

John.

With regards the annual passage migrant are you talking about the common sandpiper or Dave Smith? I wish Dave would let us know when he is popping in cos something good always turns up when he is there! Great little social with lots to look at. Rich S stay safe. Kevin where were you??:king:

Dave,

thanks for your wishes. Cracking start to my return here. Syke's and Eastern Orphean Warblers are in en-masse. Massive passage of Rollers over yesterday with 51 before breakfast; they migrate in loose flocks - one with 16 birds present.

A good couple of days for me.

Firstly yesterday (3rd) at 10am finding a summer plumage Golden Plover in the meadow. Only the second ever May record the first being back on May 2nd 2006. Then in the evening a male Whincat.

Today (4th) at 6am the Golden Plover had gone but there were 2 Wheatear in the meadow. In the afternoon 15 Yellow Wagtail were in the meadow till at least 19:30. As I headed to Tongham GP a bird flew out of the trees then back in front of me. I thought it must have been a Collared Dove. At I reached the tree it flew out again down Brilliant view as it 10ft high and only 25 m away, it was a Turtle Dove (2nd record). I did not see where it flew too as the bund was in the way. If it kept going it would have flown over the viewing mound. Searched for 90min with RTH but not seen again. As Turtle Dove are never easy to see it could be still around. Shall will put some seed down!!!

Kevin

Last edited:
Why does it always happen when I am away? Turtle Doves are reliant on small seeds and do not take to the stuff we feed our garden birds. Might be worth putting down some Niger seed to see what happens. There is plenty at the end of my garden - the Goldfinches ignored it this winter! Enriched finch seed (the stuff you feed Zebra Finches) is suggested by aviculturists. A job lot from Snack and Tack?

Last edited:
This morning 06:15 - 08:00 - 6 species of Warbler, 4 Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff, 4 Reed, Garden Warbler, 6 Whitethroat, & Lesser Whitethroat. Also Common Sandpiper in the workings, female Yellow Wagtail in puddles on edge of workings, 3 LRP, 2 Sand Martin, & 70+ Swallow. No sign of the Turtle Dove though.

John.

Return visit this afternoon added 4 Wheatears inc a Greenland Female, 2 Reed Buntings, Buzzard, & in increase to 4 Yellow Wags on the meadow.

John.

This morning 06:30 - 08:15 - 2 Blackcap, 3 Chiffchaff, 6 Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, 3 Reed Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, 3 Common Tern, Reed Bunting, Wheatear, Yellow Wagtail, 7 Sand Martin, 20 Swallow, 2 Swift, 5 Skylark, & Common Sandpiper.

John.

06:30 - 08:30 - Common Sandpiper, 4 LRP, 4 Common Tern, 2 Wheatear, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, 2 Reed Bunting, 5 Reed Warbler, 8+ Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, 2 Chiffchaff, 3 Blackcap, 30+ Swallow, 10+ Sand Martin, House Martin, 2 Swift, 3 Skylark, & Stock Dove.

John.

Quick return visit late afternoon produced an increase in Wheatears to 3 & addition of 2 Yellow Wags on the meadow.

John.

Not too much to report this afternoon, 5 Warbler species excluding Lesser Whitethroat, 2 LRP, Common Tern, Skylark, Herring & Lesser Black Back Gulls in the workings, & Buzzard. Quite encouraging to see Black Headed Gulls & Terns on the newly formed islands in the workings, lets hope they stay & breed.

John.

Not much to report egyptian goose in the meadow with 40 swallow house and sand martin plenty of warblers as Jonh noted yesterday, bullfinch carrying food. .

Beautiful morning at Tices today but chilly, 2 Wheatears on the meadow, 3 LRP, near adult Great Black Backed Gull in the workings, Whitethroats everywhere, great views of a Garden Warbler in full song, pair of Common Terns on an island in the workings, & interestingly an adult Little Grebe the first I've seen at Tices for ages. Also the Common Sandpiper remains in the workings, 2 Bullfinch, 3 Each of Blackcap & Chiffchaff, 5 Reed Warbler, 3 Skylark, Stock Dove, 4 Hose Martin, 10+ Sand Martin, & 2 Swallow.

John.

Another gorgeous early start at Tices enjoying the dawn chorus of Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Garden Warbler, Whitethroat, & Reed Warblers. The Common Sandpiper is still present in the stream on the edge of the workings along with 3 LRP's. Two pairs of Common Terns were seen on islands in the workings, Skylarks aplenty, & a male Wheatear in the workings.

John.

It has been quite on the wader front for the pass 10 days. On Tuesday its the 15th. This is the most popular day to see Greenshank at Tices. 4 out of 7 years seen on this day. There has only been one spring (2007) that no Greenshank were seen.

Kevin

3 wheatear with plenty of swifts martins and swallow s common sandpiper + warblers still hearing lesser whitethroat to and more garden warbler this year but still awaiting greenshank.
Just a some dates to remind you of , Kevin and Matt are doing the Summer Fayre at the Heron Wood Community Base Selborne Ave on Sat 19th May 10am till 2pm big thank you to them, any suport you can give them would be good .
Then i m doing a walk around on Sat 26th May at 10am starting at Pea Bridge as a follow up.
It would be great if there where some birder on the bank to show and encourage those that turn up.
Rich H .

i

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back