• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northeast Aberdeen and Donmouth (1 Viewer)

Had a nice stroll around Seaton Park and Donmouth this afternoon. The Harlequin was up at Papermill Drive and, as others have noted, is starting to look a bit more 'full on'. Also had some good views of Dipper around there, as well as several displaying Stock Doves. Things were rather quiet elsewhere (well, I guess there weren't any mega rares anyway). Several Red-throated Divers were offshore and the flock of 24 Sanderling on the beach included one colour-ringed bird. Will be interesting to find out what its story is.

The colour-ringed Sanderling was originally ringed as an adult female in Zackenberg, northeast Greenland in June 2011. Since then it has been seen several times in Aberdeenshire and during every winter period.

The 1st-winter Iceland Gull was downstream of the roadbridge from at least 2.10-2.30 this afternoon, both on the river and down at the mouth. It was getting some stick from the Herring Gulls. Also an ad LBb Gull & a Grey Wag (probably not unusual, but I don't recall seeing one there before).

The 1st-winter Iceland Gull was showing very nicely just downriver of the Brig o' Balgownie at lunchtime today, mainly perched on a large branch north of the island. No time to look for the Harlequin, but it's beginning to look like it really might have gone.

Harlequin looking pretty funky these days. Here's one from last Friday...
88d06e3e2aa4e51026634b1302c9d9d5.jpg

Hi

Any advice on trying to see White-billed Divers off Portsoy. Appreciate they are usually well offshore. Any particular place to try to view from and any tide conditions better than others?

Many thanks
Dawn

A while since I posted on this thread, which is because I haven't really done any birding in NE Aberdeen lately. Anyway, this morning I was quite surprised to see a flock of 7 Crossbills going south over Spital on my way to work. That's a 'patch tick' for me, I guess.

On Thursday morning I took my students out looking for birds in Seaton Park. We had good views of a pair of Dippers on the river and also saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker briefly. It was a bit frustrating to only hear a Kingfisher on the river.

Perhaps a bit predictably the birds improved once most of the students had left. I was walking back over the King's Links when two Short-eared Owls flew up from the rough grass. One proceeded to fly around my head alarm calling for several minutes! Sadly none of the students were around by that stage to enjoy it, though admittedly this might have been partly because I'd set an essay deadline for the same afternoon.

Attachments

• SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115b.jpg
    SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115b.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 332
  • SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115e.jpg
    SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115e.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 245
  • SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115f.jpg
    SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115f.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 271
  • SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115h.jpg
    SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115h.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 245
  • SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115i.jpg
    SE Owl_Aberdeen_051115i.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 264
There was a 1st-winter Iceland Gull at the rivermouth this afternoon. Also probably the same two Short-eared Owls that Andrew saw a fortnight ago were over the rough ground at the north-west of King's Links, mobbing a couple of perched Buzzards.

At least four Short-eared Owls on the northern part of King's Links today, flying about to great effect in mild sunshine. Happily a few of my students hung around to enjoy them this time. Here's a picture one of them took.

Attachments

• SE Owl_Aberdeen_261115a.jpg
    SE Owl_Aberdeen_261115a.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 90
Had a look at the Kings links today and saw two young guys continuously flushing short eared owls just so they could take photos. I did wonder how long it would take for this to happen just hope it does not end up like down in Arbroath where they are flushing and baiting the owls with mice just so they can take photos

Had a look at the Kings links today and saw two young guys continuously flushing short eared owls just so they could take photos. I did wonder how long it would take for this to happen just hope it does not end up like down in Arbroath where they are flushing and baiting the owls with mice just so they can take photos

Sorry to hear that. The owls are pretty easy to photograph anyway so I've no idea what their motivation is for disturbing them.

I have been to Arbroath 3 times in the last 8 days, all the photographers I have seen were well behaved,all were keeping to the paths/boardwalk and waiting on the owls approaching them,2 guys who had been waiting patiently today on the boardwalk were treated to two shorties squabbling right above their heads,the owls came from behind them,the surprised photographers calls were louder than the fighting owls, flushing these magnificent birds would not go down well with all the people I have met here ,that of course does not mean it has not happened

Attachments

• short eared owl.jpg
    short eared owl.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 91
Had a look at the links this afternoon when this guy got out of a black truck with a big lens and tripod then stood in the hunting ground of the short eared owls then preceded back to his truck to take out a wooden structure and bait it about 20ft in front of his lens is there nothing these photographers won't do they are pretty easy to photograph without resorting to that type of thing

Had a pleasant walk along the Don through Seaton Park and down to Donmouth today, in rather good, clear weather. It was quite a shock to see the remains of early January's floods still visible across a wide area of the park and the floodplain, as well as a large tree that had probably come down in the strong winds of the past few days.

There were still birds about though. Along the river were 29 Goldeneye, five each of Goosander and Red-breasted Merganser, 22 Teal, three Moorhen, two Little Grebes, two Grey Wagtails and a Dipper. A pair of Bullfinches were in the trees near the cathedral and a Coot was on the wetlands, just as one was a couple of winters back.

On the calm seas off the mouth of the Don were 21 Red-throated Divers and four Common Scoter. Along the beach there were 26 Sanderling, a Rock Pipit, a Purple Sandpiper and no rare gulls. I was pleased to see at least three Short-eared Owls actively hunting over the King's Links, giving some great views.

There was a Slav showing very well off King's Links on Saturday, often in the surf. This morning it was further out along towards Footdee. Little else, including gulls.

Attachments

• P1200246a.jpg
    P1200246a.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 107
  • P1200255a.jpg
    P1200255a.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 92
Took my students out for a wander round Seaton Park and down to Donmouth yesterday morning. It was fairly quiet around the park, aside from a few Goldcrests. A Little Grebe was on the river and a female Long-tailed Duck was feeding around the river mouth.

All but one of the students left after that (class had officially 'ended' but I said I'd carry on for a bit). About five minutes after most left an Otter appeared in the river and was watched for quite a while carry a fish and being pursued by gulls. At least 63 Sanderling, seven Dunlin and eight Ringed Plover were roosting on Aberdeen beach. Then we went further down the beach and saw at least one Humpback Whale feeding about 300 metres offshore. Those students really should stick around.

Below, a couple of pictures of the Otter, one of Sanderling and then a mixed group of Sanderling, Dunlin and Ringed Plover.

Attachments

• Otter_Donmouth_131016a.jpg
    Otter_Donmouth_131016a.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Otter_Donmouth_131016b.jpg
    Otter_Donmouth_131016b.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 51
  • Sanderling_Aberdeen_131016a.jpg
    Sanderling_Aberdeen_131016a.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Sanderling_Aberdeen_131016b.jpg
    Sanderling_Aberdeen_131016b.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 48
Can anyone tell me please if this area has any grey or red squirrels? Hope its red!
Im moving to Old Aberdeen soon so ive started looking into whats around.

Thank you in advance

Can anyone tell me please if this area has any grey or red squirrels? Hope its red!
Im moving to Old Aberdeen soon so ive started looking into whats around.

Thank you in advance

I must admit that it's I can't remember ever seeing any squirrels of either species in this area. In rural Aberdeenshire there should be Reds. I'm not sure where the nearest Greys are to Aberdeen. They're not common around here anyway.

I used to see greys in seaton park but I've not been there for a while. Reds can be seen to the west of Aberdeen but in the autumn they can turn up anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back