• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (1 Viewer)

The quick flashes of the new body shown around 0:16 sec certainly do look like the classic Trinovid. The distinctive screwheads near the diopter even make a brief appearance. (Attached is a photo of one of the screwheads on an old 7x42). The beauty of this old design is that the same prism housing is used for every model from 32mm to 35mm to 42mm... just different sized objective tubes to match the objectives. So it would be relatively easy for Leica to release a wide range of configurations. Of course, this could be just a limited release homage with an astronomical price (but I hope not!).

Attachments

• RSCN1967.JPG
    RSCN1967.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 111
There is a new set of Trinovids shown on the Leica Germany site here:

https://de.leica-camera.com/Sportoptik/Leica-Birding/Ferngläser/Leica-Trinovid-HD/Modelle

Not sure where the innovation is, but they are a topic of discussion (in German) here:
http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,434044,434044#msg-434044

Seems the FoV is 124M at 1000M, relatively narrow, but the close focus is 1M.

That one is not that new, see also here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=348758

7x35
8x40
10x40

Will be released for direct supply as of next week
Retro look with the latest trinovid technology
Price level 1200 € rrp

If the 10x40 has an 8 degree field of view, as it should have, I'm interested.
If much less I am not interested in yet another wasted opportunity to actually produce something refreshing and worthwhile, instead of another one of the same.
I suppose Japanese made?

Also interested in a 6x24 with a 12.5 degree field as per previous Leitz binoculars.

The only really interesting binoculars to me in the last twenty years are the Canon IS range.

We'll all have to wait and see whether these are just more of the same, i.e. SP prisms instead of Uppendahl prisms, or really something different. Something close to the old, original Trinovid for instance.

BTW, interesting to read how many people seem to be in love with 6x or 7x binoculars. The harsh reality is that these binoculars don't sell. A 6x24 would be a total disaster.

Hermann

BTW, interesting to read how many people seem to be in love with 6x or 7x binoculars. The harsh reality is that these binoculars don't sell. A 6x24 would be a total disaster.

Hermann

People love them because the Leitz in this format and size is brilliant. I've certainly never seen a better compact binocular. Perhaps some cunning advertising from an alpha brand could reeducate people about the superiority of this format for compact bins.

Just wondering, which current 6x24 roof binoculars are such a sales disaster?

Rathaus

ALL binoculars with magnifications below 8 are commercial disasters. Which is why the big three are phasing them out. As to the 6x24: There's a reason the main makers don't make a 6x24, don't you think so ?

That said, a 7x35 like the old Trinovid may have
a chance provided it is small and light with a good FOV. As soon as Leica make it bigger and heavier, it'll be just another binocular. Not something special.

Hermann

BTW, interesting to read how many people seem to be in love with 6x or 7x binoculars. The harsh reality is that these binoculars don't sell.

Hermann

I see this in forums discussing sports cars as well. Everyone claims to love simple, lightweight manual gearbox cars - but that's not what folks actually go out and buy.

There are stil those of us who love low power binos and actually buy them and use them.

My birding binos are 7x42 and 6x32. I don't use anything else.

It's true they don't sell well, but I still like talking about them here.

There are stil those of us who love low power binos and actually buy them and use them.

I know. In fact, I also quite like 7x (and use a 7x42 porro quite a lot). If Leica really make a run of 7x35s like the old Trinovid, I'd get one more or less straightaway. The old Trinovid was in many ways a great bin. It needs modern multicoatings, dielectric coatings on the prisms and phasecoatings to be competitive. Nothing else.

Hermann

Last edited:
Hi,

a true legend from Leitz would be the a reissue of the Amplivid 6x24 with 12 deg TFOV... But please with dielectric mirrors and with decent edge perfomance (which will be an interesting exercise for the optics designer).

Regarding Abbe-Koenig and Schmidt-Pechan prisms - the former can be cemented and they usually are. The latter cannot be cemented since the surface between the two prisms is used for reflection and transmission - cementing would make the reflection part a bit difficult...

Joachim

I know. In fact, I also quite like 7x (and use a 7x42 porro quite a lot). If Leica really make a run of 7x35s like the old Trinovid, I'd get one more or less straightaway. The old Trinovid was in many ways a great bin. It needs modern multicoatings, dielectric coatings on the prisms and phasecoatings to be competitive. Nothing else.

Hermann

Even though I already have a Leica 7x42 it will still be tempting to grab this new 7x35 classic Trinovid even though I don't need it.
Being a Leica fan it's all very tempting. It may be nice to have a lighter 7x on hand too. I'll have to really think about it. I could go with the 10x40 since I don't have a 10x and it could be used for certain situations, but in reality I don't really need a 10x either. I'll wait to see the new bins and specs and take my time thinking about it. If the price is ridiculous then it will be easy to pass.

My birding binos are 7x42 and 6x32. I don't use anything else.

It's true they don't sell well, but I still like talking about them here.

Same here. I love my 7x42 Ulravid HDs That walk in view and wide field, With hardly any need to focus. And my Zeiss 7x42s BGAT Well were do you start

Even though I already have a Leica 7x42 it will still be tempting to grab this new 7x35 classic Trinovid even though I don't need it.

Unless Leica "improved" the old Trinovid 7x35 by incorporating more features some people seem to find important nowadays, it has one thing going for it: It's a lot lighter than the 7x42. The old Trinovid was about 550 gr, that's about 200 gr less than the 7x42. And that *does* make a difference in the field.

Hermann

Hi,

a true legend from Leitz would be the a reissue of the Amplivid 6x24 with 12 deg TFOV... But please with dielectric mirrors and with decent edge perfomance (which will be an interesting exercise for the optics designer).

Regarding Abbe-Koenig and Schmidt-Pechan prisms - the former can be cemented and they usually are. The latter cannot be cemented since the surface between the two prisms is used for reflection and transmission - cementing would make the reflection part a bit difficult...

Joachim

I owned an Amplivid and sadly found it hard to use.
The derisory eye relief made it impossible for me to benefit from the large FoV you describe.
It is a great glass perhaps for those who don't need glasses or who have had the needed eye surgery. I fail both tests.
I'd love to have a usable wide field glass, but there are none offered afaik.
Presumably the laws of optics make it very difficult, but no one has tried either.

Hermann

Nothing else? Really?

How about a rain guard? For the original Leitz Trinovid a rain guard had to be bought as an after sales accessory. Even if Leica would take them in production again, would you still accept that?

An even more important aspect in dire need of a solution, is the eye cup. Note that the design harks back to the days of the rubber roll up-roll down cups, incapable of in-between settings. Now, here comes the 7x35, a configuration that never had a dedicated pair of eye cups. The 14 mm cups it came with are simply too short for the majority of users, and the 19 mm used on the 7x42 simply too long. I'm eagerly awaiting Leica's answer tot the problem.

Renze

How about a rain guard? For the original Leitz Trinovid a rain guard had to be bought as an after sales accessory. Even if Leica would take them in production again, would you still accept that?

Yes, I would. Simply because the great majority of rainguards supplied nowadays don't work all that well for me, so I normally use an old Zeiss rubber rainguard originally made for the Zeiss Dialyt. Or I'd make one myself from leather because the Zeiss rubber rainguard is probably a bit big for such a small binocular.

An even more important aspect in dire need of a solution, is the eye cup. Note that the design harks back to the days of the rubber roll up-roll down cups, incapable of in-between settings. Now, here comes the 7x35, a configuration that never had a dedicated pair of eye cups. The 14 mm cups it came with are simply too short for the majority of users, and the 19 mm used on the 7x42 simply too long. I'm eagerly awaiting Leica's answer tot the problem.

That's a valid point, of course. One of the 7x35s I tried many years ago had hard eyecups, so these must have been available as well at some stage. Anyway, making rubber eyecups in different lengths shouldn't really pose insurmountable problems to Leica.

By the way, do you by any chance know much eyerelief the 7x35 had? I can't find any reference to that anymore, I only remember it was more than the Trinovid 10x40 had.

Hermann

Last edited:
Just don't understand how all you guys get so excited about such an unimaginative and retrograde set of bins. Something that probably only compounds LEICA's lack of drive to produce a truly cutting edge instrument.

LGM

Just don't understand how all you guys get so excited about such an unimaginative and retrograde set of bins. Something that probably only compounds LEICA's lack of drive to produce a truly cutting edge instrument.

Now ... How does that ignore function work?

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back