• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (1 Viewer)

Just don't understand how all you guys get so excited about such an unimaginative and retrograde set of bins. Something that probably only compounds LEICA's lack of drive to produce a truly cutting edge instrument.

LGM

I'm excited about the possibility of a hybrid; classic body and lightweight with modern tweaks such as updated glass/coatings and hopefully modern eye cups and nice smooth focus. If this will be the old body with upgrades it could be a great feather weight bino.

We will see in a couple of days. Perhaps it will be something I may lose interest in or could be awesome and it depends on what they present to us on Monday. I think this is what people are excited about - what it could be.

So is the Amplivid.
It easily fits in my pocket.
Although it was difficult to maintain in tip top order.

But the Canon IS binoculars are also difficult to maintain.

Comparing the two, regardless of what specs might say, the old Amplivid has more eye relief than the 6x24 Trinovid. I find it a bit easier to use...but I don't wear specs so it's not a big deal for me. The trinovid is a tad brighter. The Amplivid is comparable in size to my technically excellent but otherwise quite useless Zeiss 8x20 compacts - the ~60yo Amplivid and the slightly later 6x24 trinovid destroy the small Zeiss as a useful compact viewing instrument.

Just don't understand how all you guys get so excited about such an unimaginative and retrograde set of bins. Something that probably only compounds LEICA's lack of drive to produce a truly cutting edge instrument.

LGM

Have you seen Uppendahl prisms? The were and remain unique to this model.
And if true to the originals should be super lightweight.

Cutting edge is great and its one reason why I like Zeiss's boldness with the SF's optical train, but nobody is using Uppendahl prisms today so these Trinovids would be treading a very independent path indeed.

This will make some traditionalists groan: I hope it focuses down to 1.5 metres!

Lee

Lee,
It will focus down to minus 1 metre so we can see any creatures behind us.

If these new binoculars have really wide fields I can see myself getting one. If not there isn't much point for me.

The Australians should be able to buy one now as it is 4th September there.

If these new binoculars have really wide fields I can see myself getting one. If not there isn't much point for me.

The Australians should be able to buy one now as it is 4th September there.

How much FOV would you like?

...it's 16 hours into the 4th of September here and no word yet

You can see the new trinovids here:

https://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Trinovid2

7x35 with 150 m FOV (550 grams)
8x40 129m (600 grams)
10x40 110m, 600 grams, 635g (rubber armored)

All with 15 mm ER. Any kind of ED/HD glass is not mentioned. Made in Portugal.
Splash proof but not water proof, i.e. not nitrogen purged.

Price, in the press release:

https://en.leica-camera.com/Company...elease-Binoculars-icon-with-modern-technology

Price (RRP in €)
7x35: 1,250 – 1,450
8x40: 1,350 – 1,550
10x40: 1,400 – 1,600

Last edited:
I'd like to be the first to congratulate Leica on calculating the FOV in feet correctly.

--AP

P.S. Only the 7x35 were of some interest to me. Shame the FOV is no wider, and the 15 mm eye relief is potentially of concern for eyeglasses wearers. Whether 15 mm is enough depends on how it is measured, and on eyecup width (shorter works better if cups are narrow). I can use pocket models with 15 mm without problem, can use the 8x32 BA/BN/Ultravid with 14 mm reasonably well but with some trouble, and Zeiss 8x32 FL with 16 mm quite well. Only way to know with these for sure will be to test them. Hope, like other Leica, these are low on off-axis astigmatism. Hope, unlike most Leica, they are low on lateral CA. Close focus spec is very disappointing. Bravo on the 55 mm IPD, but such a slim bin could have done much better. Wonder about the price on the BL. I presume these will be cheap. Otherwise, why not go with the 8x32 Ultravid HD+, which is likely superior in every way?

Last edited:
I'd like to be the first to congratulate Leica on calculating the FOV in feet correctly.

--AP

P.S. Only the 7x35 were of some interest to me. Shame the FOV is no wider, and the 15 mm eye relief is potentially of concern for eyeglasses wearers. Whether 15 mm is enough depends on how it is measured, and on eyecup width (shorter works better if cups are narrow). I can use pocket models with 15 mm without problem, can use the 8x32 BA/BN/Ultravid with 14 mm reasonably well but with some trouble, and Zeiss 8x32 FL with 16 mm quite well. Only way to know with these for sure will be to test them. Hope, like other Leica, these are low on off-axis astigmatism. Hope, unlike most Leica, they are low on lateral CA. Close focus spec is very disappointing. Bravo on the 55 mm IPD, but such a slim bin could have done much better. Wonder about the price on the BL. I presume these will be cheap. Otherwise, why not go with the 8x32 Ultravid HD+, which is likely superior in every way?

1250 € for the 7x35 (rubber armor version I guess).

"The extremely slim design could be achieved thanks to the built-in Uppendahl-prism, which is also used in the new Leica Trinovid."

https://en.leica-camera.com/Company...elease-Binoculars-icon-with-modern-technology

The 7x35 might be interesting if it works better with glasses than the 8x32 UVHD+.

Made in Portugal:

https://static.leica-camera.com/var...d_Landscape_Teaser_960x640_teaser-480x320.png

Last edited:
They might get a bit of traction for a modern product with a stylish retro design, as we see in a lot of higher end mirrorless cameras. However I think most will still purchase on price/performance. If they aren't robustly waterproof I think they will be a niche product.

For me I think they need to price at or below Conquest / Trinovid HD / Nikon HG / etc to really compete much.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back