• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Pepper Flakes as squirrel deterrent at your feeders (1 Viewer)

menom said:
I don't know how to reply via this forum--but here goes--I got the dang squirrel problem--it's been months since this post--but I am going to try those shepherd hook delaies and I have bear grease--maybe they need a predator scare. Now--lests see if I can send this miserable missive.
Menom
Hi menom. I see this is your first post so a warm welcome goes to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I would be a bit hesitant about using any heavy grease around the feeders as it can foul up a birds feathers.

danehower said:
I reckon any hot spices would be a nice culinary diversion from the bland seeds and nuts that these little critters consume. It could be like a Tex-mex style gettup. I did have one of those suet cakes with hot peppers - and it did deture the squirrels but the racky' loved it ! oh well ..
Hi Dave.

I am still singing the praises of the hot pepper suet and thankfully, my raccoons have not found it or if they have, don't find it all that appealing as it is lasting so much longer than when the squirrels feasted on it. The birds absolutely love it. I found a great supplier here that ships it free so it is actually cheaper than in the big box stores.

Transformer said:
Mixing red pepper flakes with your mixed seed to deter squirrels...seems to work so far. The squirrels hate it! The birds either don't mind it, or they even like it. How much to mix in is a matter of judgment. Maybe 3/4 to 1 cup per 40 lb of seed. Also, I hear the chili flakes will kill any parasitic infections the birds may have.

Has anyone else tried it?

I tried it and it worked on squirrels but it killed my eyes when i cleaned the feeders and did not work against the clever raccons. the best deterent for squirrels I have found is making sure they have their own, always full, private feeding stations with corn cobs and roasted peanuts. I still have to grease a few poles and put up a few baffles but I have not lost a feeder to the squirrels since and now I get to watch the buggers bog on my squngee HEHE

PLuss havig them around tends to bring in a few ofthe larger hawks for me to get a good look at

Bear grease is biodegradable and is not 'thick' like axle grease, we use it in our salves--squirrels don't like it too well--sort of like Red Fox urine --we just happen to have Bears on this Indian Rez and we hunt them each year.
Menom

I have laced the seed with freshly ground hot peppers, I have sprayed commercial squirrel repellants, I have put out a separate food supply just for them.... and the only thing that has ever worked is getting (or making) a little cloth drawstring bag and filling it with mothballs and cat fur (I have 2 indoor cats, so that supply is unlimited!) and hanging the little bags on the tops of the feeders. The downside is that the bags' contents have to be refilled after each rain (the mothballs melt and wash away, and I guess the cat dander does, too). You should see how they recoil and leap as far away as possible when they catch a whiff! And no, it doesn't affect the birds one little bit. They don't even seem to notice (only initially when I first hang the bag, because it's something new, but after a few minutes, no problem).

Last edited:
the only thing that has ever worked is getting (or making) a little cloth drawstring bag and filling it with mothballs and cat fur (I have 2 indoor cats, so that supply is unlimited!) and hanging the little bags on the tops of the feeders.

Good to know! Thanks for the tip. I think I considered the moth ball solution many moons ago but never tried it. I don't have cats, but I do know that when my dog was alive, we NEVER had squirrel problems!!!!

Hi, I'm new

Squirrels in my bird feeders drive me nuts. I've just tried mixing 2 tsp. of cayenne pepper (not the flakes) into two cups of bird seed (mixed it around) and watched a squirrel eat a bunch, wet himself and drag his mouth across the deck. He hasn't been back! The birds are all over the feeder and don't seem bothered at all. Paprika isn't hot enough and that is maybe why it didn't work. Try cayenne pepper.

This is why the birds can eat the strongest capsaicin out with out feeling a thing.....

Birds are not affected by "capsaicin" - the active ingredient in chilli peppers. Research has shown that there is no evidence that birds code capsaicin as an irritant at concentrations as high as 20,000 ppm (the hottest chilli is about 2,000 ppm). Mammals, such as squirrels and rats, reject capsaicin concentrations as low as 1-10 ppm
The reason behind it is evolutionary....Most botanists and ornithologists believe that chilli peppers evolved this way so that small mammals would avoid the hot taste, while birds freely eat the pungent pepper pod thereby resulting in wider ranging dispersal of the seeds to ensure the natural growth and long term survival of the chilli pepper plant.
Chilli pepper seeds consumed by birds pass through the digestive tract unharmed, whereas those consumed by mammals do not germinate at all. The presence of capsaicin in the fruits therefore protects them from being consumed by mammals, which have molars that can kill seeds.

Studies show that mammals, including squirrels, have receptors on the tongue and in the mouth that react to chilli peppers by sending heat signals to the brain. Although there's no actual damage, the sensation makes it seem as though the mouth is on fire (much the same as ourselves). Birds lack the receptors that make chewing chilli peppers such an eye-watering experience for mammals -- they can eat peppers all day long and never feel a thing!

I used capsaicin about a year ago and it worked well.

Since then, I tried hot pepper flakes and they didn't work at all.

I recently tried buying some "squirrel proof" birdseed that is pretreated with capsaicin. The squirrels munched on some of it the first day. However, they now leave it alone so I can spread it out on my bird table where the sparrows and mourning doves enjoy it - but not the cardinals, finches, bluejays, etc. I suspect the seeds in the mix don't appeal to most birds.
Niki

I used capsaicin about a year ago and it worked well.

Since then, I tried hot pepper flakes and they didn't work at all.

I recently tried buying some "squirrel proof" birdseed that is pretreated with capsaicin. The squirrels munched on some of it the first day. However, they now leave it alone so I can spread it out on my bird table where the sparrows and mourning doves enjoy it - but not the cardinals, finches, bluejays, etc. I suspect the seeds in the mix don't appeal to most birds.
Niki

Hi Nikki,
yes it does work doesn't it, my friend used chili pepper (extra hot) for mice and it worked straight away, how ever you have to get it right, as you already know.
I would say you have to put a decen amount on to cover the seed then it works. there is no way a mammal could be tolerant to high contents of capsaicin.
I think some wild birdfood retailers actually sell capsaicin to mix with bird food too. I've not seen the seed already with the mix on, but its a great idea and would be a god seller I imagine. Mind you I've proberly not seen it as I've not been looking for it.

Kind regards

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back