• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring is here!! (1 Viewer)

Chiffchaffs seem to be trickling in (there's been 4 reported in Oxon at non wintering sights), though I can't really see any real evidence of migrants (there's been several through Portland for a few days). Are the birds in land wintering ones moving about or the earlier migrants?

Gareth

They are probably more migrants from the near continent perhaps coming in via Kent or Sussex. The arrivals in April are more likely to be the longer distance migrants.

CB

I have to say, I can't quite work out why there are so few early migrants appearing!

With this high pressure over us and southern Europee, Wheatears should be in by now in fairly good numbers, as should Sand Martins really.

Even commoner birds, with Meadow Pipit being a great example, are not on the move in the numbers they usually are for sunny days in mid March. And where are the lrps!? Weird....

LRP reported in Warks (Draycote Water) on 12th.
Blackcaps being reported singing, though may be wintering birds.
More Sand Martins today with a flock of c.20 through over Farmoor res (Oxon). This is the first record for Oxon and four days later than last year.
20 Chiffchaffs on Bardsey Island today - first real sign of 'mass' migration..

Gareth

Things at Radipole seemed to have stopped today. Very few Chiffchaff this morning, no Sand Martins for a few days but a Little ringed Plover at Lodmoor this morning was hopefully a sign of things to come.

In no particular order - Hoopoe in Suffolk, Little Gulls, Night Herons, LRP's, inland Grey Plovers, Swallows and Sand Martins, Avocets, Marsh Harrier and Ring Ouzel (IoS), White Wags, Wheatears, Black Redstarts, inland Red-throated Divers, Garganey...
... 2 days off and I'll be checking the local patch with optimism!

Gareth

Chiffchaff at Fontburn Reservoir, nr Rothbury yesterday PLUS......Sand Martin @ Corbridge and Wheatear at Cresswell Pond on the coast o:) All reported on the BF Northumberlkand Thread.

Day off today so going to spend a few hours at the coast so hopefully I'll get my first spring migrants :t:

Had my first Sandwich Terns and Sand Martins of the spring today around Falmouth. And slightly bizarrely, 3 abietinus type Chiffchaff (at a site which held 2 regularly, but a few months back) ... presumably moving north again ...

First returning LRP back on my patch today, (inland, Surrey/Hants border), slightly later than last year.

John.

What a difference a few days makes! I had my first Chiffs Thursday. Chiffs and Wheatears seem to be pouring in now - Portland had 55 Wheatears Friday morning.
Last couple of days has had the first Common Tern and an Alpine Swift today. There has also been a few more Osprey, Willow Warbler, Ring Ouzel, Swallow, Whimbrel, LRP and Stone Curlews.

Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back