• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Throated Finch (2 Viewers)

saddler

Hello everyone,

I found this forum whist trying to confirm the identity of this bird. It was taken last year in the Falklands and I believe its a black-throated finch. I couldnt find any pics of them on this site so can someone confirm I've got it right.

Cheers

John

Attachments

• Black throated finch 1.jpg
    Black throated finch 1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 128
Hi Saddler and welcome to Birdforum. I have no idea what your bird is (nice pic though) but I'm sure another BF member will come-up with an ID pretty soon. In particular, BF member Alan henry gives his location as the Falklands, so it might be worth contacting him.

Cheers,

Stuart

Cheers for the reply,
Are Canary-winged and black-throated the same bird as they both have the same latin name looking on google.

I was expecially pleased with the picture as it was taken in pooring rain and 40mph gusting winds making keeping still a problem.

John,
In short, Yes! It must be a locally used synonym or used as such in certain guidebooks. However, just to avoid confusion it is probably better to use Canary-winged Finch as there is an australian ranging bird having better claim to the English Common Name Black-throated Finch, i.e., Poephila cincta.

Hi John

Yes I can confirm that it is an adult male Black Throated Finch.

When were you in the Falklands?

Have attached photographs of
Adult Male
1st Winter Male
Adult Female.

If you manage a return trip let me know and I will take you around.

Alan

Attachments

• Black Throated Finch (Gypsy Cove) (1st Winter Male) 1.JPG
    Black Throated Finch (Gypsy Cove) (1st Winter Male) 1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Black Throated Finch (Gypsy Cove) (Female) 1.JPG
    Black Throated Finch (Gypsy Cove) (Female) 1.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Black Throated Finch (Gypsy Cove) (Male) 3.JPG
    Black Throated Finch (Gypsy Cove) (Male) 3.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 103
Cheers Alan

I was working there around late September early October last year. I manged to get one day off to do a bit of sighteeing. The picture was taken at Gypsy Cove whilst in the hunt for penguins!

I'd loved to have had more time to look around as it seemed something of a paradise for nature lovers. I was a pity that I wasnt able to carry my camera around most of the time, as its the closest ive been to many wild birds, they seem to have no fear of people.

Its possible i'll be out again around that time this year so thanks for the offer.

John

John

If it works out let me know and we can sort out a trip to Kidney to see the 20,000 odd pairs of Sooty Shearwaters & couple of pairs of Great Shearwaters

As well a five species of Penguins

Alan

Alan and John, would you guys consider uploading your photos of this species to the Gallery so we can add it to the Bird Database? Would be a great addition to have not only a new species but the plumage variations as well. Great pics, both of you! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back