• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to avoid wing blur? (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
I shot this photo with 1/250s shutter speed + Pro Capture mode on Olympus E-M1 Mk2. To my surprise, the wing movement was not "frozen". Is this some kind of a turbo-parrot, or am I doing something wrong?

At that shutter speed you will get wing blur,you need at least 1/2500 to freeze the movement.

Cheers.

Steve.

Wing blur is not a bad thing as it shows movement, but how much is a mater of taste. 1/2500 will freeze nearly anything, 1/1250 will freeze the body but may leave a little blur. Below that it just depends.
Case in point:
I love this shot of our local pigeons racing back and forth just for the pure fun of it. Taken just before dark with a 400/5.6 lens on a Canon 5DII, 1/8 second.

32249479080_d8429d92d8_o.jpg

It ends up being simply a study in movement.

This was at 1/6400 with the same Canon 400 on my E-M1, MF and wide open.

17767197685_e3497d5b0a_b.jpg

At the time I could not stop the lens down, so there is not enough depth of field. I would have preferred f/8 or even f/11, taking more movement blur in exchange for a little more DoF.
It also depends a lot on the bird and how it is flying. Sometimes 1/1250 is more than fast enough.

28189510655_0cbc458bc6_h.jpg

So what is right for one situation is not right for another.

Shutter speed waaay too slow as indicated by others. However, while the resulting image may not appeal to the naturalist, it definitely appeals to the fine artist! I enjoyed the shot.

I have not tried Pro Capture mode on my E-M1 Mark II. Maybe that will be my C3 Program. Going birding with 40-150 f/2.8 Pro w/1.4 TC Saturday in North Alabama.

Last edited:
I'd love to see more of your photos taken in ProCapture mode - a unique feature, as far as I can see. The Nikon J5 has something similar, but with a clumsy implementation.

No doubt it will take time to get familiar with the new gear. Practice, and then post about your experiences, please.

Shutter speed waaay too slow as indicated by others. However, while the resulting image may not appeal to the naturalist, it definitely appeals to the fine artist! I enjoyed the shot.

I have not tried Pro Capture mode on my E-M1 Mark II. Maybe that will be my C3 Program. Going birding with 40-150 f/2.8 Pro w/1.4 TC Saturday in North Alabama.

How was the trip? Could you post the settings which worked best?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back