• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID, Minnesota, USA (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

The below photographs were taken on 26 July at Frontenac State Park, Minnesota which is located on the Mississippe River.

I really have no clue on this one. The long tail and Bunting/Finch type beak have me searching with no luck.

Attachments

• 610-17997fem Unknown-1.JPG
    610-17997fem Unknown-1.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 610-17998fem Unknown-1.JPG
    610-17998fem Unknown-1.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 108
It could be a Juvenile Blue Grosbeak but as per the range map in Sibley that would be very unusual for Minnesota and the beak does not look big enough to me for a Grosbeak.

juv Eastern Towhee.Notice the red-brown iris and the dark brest/gorget feathering coming through.The bill looks ok for Towhee.

Juv. Eastern Towhee was my first impression. Notice also the white marking on the primaries just visible in the first photo. Tail also too long for Blue Grosbeak.

Best,
Jim

Thank you everyone. Sibley's does not show Juvenile Eastern Towhees so I missed that option. Also, there were adult Eastern Towhees in the area. No Grosbeaks or Indigo Buntings.

Last edited:
Than you everyone. Sibley's does not show Juvenile Eastern Towhees so I missed that option. Also, there were adult Eastern Towhees in the area. No Grosbeaks or Indigo Buntings.

The big Sibley and the western Sibley both illustrate a juvenile Spotted Towhee, which is almost identical to the juvenile Eastern Towhee. It is worth getting the big Sibley as there are some plumages (gulls come to mind) that are not illustrated in either of the smaller, regional editions.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back