• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

Hi Pep, thank you, problem solved. Rats crossed my mind but I never really thought they could get that big here.
Congratulations for your Big Year win.
Patrick

Presumably black rats as they have nests in trees. There are some scientific papers from the early 1990s about the acquisition of pine cone stripping behaviour in black rats in Israel - feeding on presumably the same species of pine - Pinus halapensis.

Martin

Last edited:
to Mike Montier

Hi Mike, I'm back out on Monday so if you are available we can hook up. Do you know if the White Stork is still hanging around.

Hi Kevin, that would be great as our guests leave tomorrow and I can now do a bit more birding.
Yes, I think Pep photographed the White Stork yesterday.
There is nearly always one overwintering. A couple of years ago there was one around Campos which was handy for me, I saw it three times.
Be in touch, no other news today. Mike

Today I have been until the dark at the Depuradora de s'Albufera and I have got a nice present with this beautiful Scops owl.
Happy new year ;)

Attachments

• Mussolet.jpg
    Mussolet.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 395
Yes, a brilliant photo Pep. I hear them most nights but hardly ever see them. As I understand it, there is a resident population but they are joined by summer migrants which come to Mallorca to breed. I believe they arrive here quite early in the year, there certainly seem to be more from March onwards. Mike

S' Albuferata

Its wonderful to be back in the Island - to leave the snow and cold of Switzerland.

First birder seen up the tower was Pep..can birding get any better?

The Flamingos are still there (60) and other great birds seen included northern pintail, osprey, lapwings, marsh harrier, spotted redshank, common sandpiper, black winged stilts, White Egrets, Hoopoes and Crag Martins.

It is great to be back. Hope we meet up soon Mike

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome back. Yes, I'm sure we can meet up, I am way behind the Bigyear already having had guests for the last two weeks. The White Stork is still being seen near the airport and I am just back from Porto Colom where there is a Razorbill and a Great Crested Grebe.
I am probably going to Son Real on Wednesday or Thursday to see if there are any Hawfinch so I will let you know. Mike

Hello folks,

The wife and I are spending ten days on Mallorca between 11th and 21st April, 14 years on from our first and only visit to the island. Back then we were kid free and so I'm going to have limited time for pure birding, though still looking forward to that Mediterranean vibe and food. I wonder if someone could assist with a few queries please?

What do you think my chances of Eleonora's falcon are in that timeframe? Lifer for me and would dearly love to connect. I appreciate that chances would be better later on but is there an area where I might at least increase my chances?

Given one day of child-free birding (oh, one can dream...) What sites would you visit?

Is there a decent flora guide for Mallorca?

Many thanks in advance!

Tristan

Hello folks,

The wife and I are spending ten days on Mallorca between 11th and 21st April, 14 years on from our first and only visit to the island. Back then we were kid free and so I'm going to have limited time for pure birding, though still looking forward to that Mediterranean vibe and food. I wonder if someone could assist with a few queries please?

What do you think my chances of Eleonora's falcon are in that timeframe? Lifer for me and would dearly love to connect. I appreciate that chances would be better later on but is there an area where I might at least increase my chances?

Given one day of child-free birding (oh, one can dream...) What sites would you visit?

Is there a decent flora guide for Mallorca?

Many thanks in advance!

Tristan

Hi Tristan

I let Mike guide you to best sites.

Regarding Flora Guide try on ebay etc for Elspeth Becket Illusrated Flora of Mallorca..ISBN 978-84-273-0895-4

It may be out of print but it is a wonderful guide.

In the office/shop in Albufera they sell other guides

Mike

Hi Tristan. The guide Mike recommends, Elspeth Becket, is far and away the best one if you can get hold of a copy. It's still available here but only in Catalan. Other guides are for sale at the main reserve, Albufera.
Eleanora's Falcons typically arrive around 22nd/24th April so you are borderline. However, in recent years, the odd one or two have arrived earlier than this. I have seen them around the time of your arrival date both at Albufera and Son Real where several people saw one on the 2nd April. You will hopefully be lucky although it all depends on the year. It's a good time to be coming to the Island and there are lots of places to go which are good for all the family and good birding too, Son Real and Mortitx are two examples. Let me know if you need any further help with any species. This thread is always kept up to date though. Mike

Hi Mike, blooming Balearics are difficult at Son Real but the platform near the beach is a good place, we can spend some time there eating pies and hopefully they will show.
Porto Colom is the best place, they show well there and Dartford warblers are easier there than elsewhere too. I will be in touch. Mike

Thanks both Mikes! It's the luck of the Easter school holiday draw...Will just have to keep an eye skyward and hope for some early birds.

Looks like the flora is tricky to obtain in English so may just use it as an excuse to delve into some Catalan.

Many thanks for the offer of assistance...I'll undoubtedly have some more queries nearer the time. Excited already!

I will be there!
I have never seen blooming Balearic Warblers there and need your guidance
Cheers
Mike

Saturday at the drink pool of Track 4 in Son Real i enjoyed this nice balearic warbler, pity the day was very dark and with few light.

Attachments

• baixa.jpg
    baixa.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 145
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back