• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The apples are paying off already (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
As I no longer have a decent apple tree, it's down to Sainsburys apples to lure the birds in winter.

Within two days of hanging them up on the branches (including a cherry tree...just to confuse the birds and neighbours!) and a few scattered on the lawn the first over-winterers have arrived in the garden (my suburban Watford one).....yesterday saw a Redwing pecking at an apple on the lawn and a female Blackcap permanently attached to a bright red apple hanging from the cherry tree (that always confuses both birds and neighbours).

Today saw the first Fieldfare, and very nice to see him bullying Blackbirds (they need bringing down a peg or two) as well as seeing off any loitering Starlings...o.k. so the Blackbirds and Starlings are likely to be winter visitors but we've all got our favourites.
Female Blackcap joined by Male today, though the solitary Redwing was a no-show (they're never as reliable as the Fieldfares).
Andy B

You've attracted nice species there Andy. I'd especially like to get Blackcaps back into the garden.

I only ever put apples out on the ground, which the Blackbirds love. Perhaps I'll have to start suspending a fewin trees too - the birds may be able to see them from a bit further off ;)

We ceratinly have plenty of Redwings and Fieldfares in the coutryside, just a ¼ mile away, but they seldom visit the garden, despite all the berry bushes. Blackcaps bred very successfully too, so perhaps they may find their way here when the weather turns a bit colder.

Maybe this year !

It's hard work tying 20+ apples to branches (up some very tall stepladders in cold weather!).....then a flock of Winter thrushes eat the lot in a few hours!

I tie ones to the trees to entice and catch the eye of any over-flying birds, once they've found the apples you can put them on the lawn, they'll stay for as long as you keep putting them out.

Today i found a good supply of windfall apples.... maybe 300lb of them, though that won't keep a big flock fed for the whole winter.
Here's a pic of two happy customers.

Attachments

• apples.jpg
    apples.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 152
I agree - nice pics. Just a suggestion - instead of using string to suspend the fruit, would it be possible to make 'S'-shaped hooks (butcher's hooks) from old wire coat-hangers, impale the apples on them, and just loop these over the branches ? If the apples are being consumed as fast as you say, they will not have time to go gunjy around the metal. (Next week, we show you how to make a telescope from two toilet rolls and some clingfilm).

Tony

Hi Tony, you are referring to my MK1 design (circa 1999).....I changed to green garden twine for the odd reason that wire looked so unpleasant in my photos, then again.... you're not going to fool anyone that they are naturally hanging (especially from a cherry tree!).

Having got plenty of stock pics of Blackcaps and Fieldfares (still waiting for a killer Redwing pic) I may go back to the wire (possibly green plastic coated).

I tend to ease back on the numbers of hanging apples after the birds have discovered them, they'll happily go down on to the lawn to eat for the rest of the winter (the remaining hanging apples are mainly for the Blackcaps.... 11 different birds at one time last winter!)
Regards,
Andy B

I took at look at the hanging apples picture. I thought about trying that in my garden as I do not have an apple tree. Problem is the neighbours know I'm crazy and this may be too much for them and they might phone up for the men in white coats to come and take me away.....then I wouldn't be able to go to Slimbridge in Feb with the rest of you.

But, sudden thought......the places where they take you have closed down now and it is 'care in the community' that is the answer for crazy people like me....so maybe I can live in the community, in fact in my own house and hang apples in my own non-apple tree. Yes, I will try that!!!!!!

Colin

I have found that the Starlings love pears - cut in half, soft side up, laid on the lawn. I also buy cheap sultana's from Asda and throw a handful down. Thrushes adore them, especially when nesting.

Am curious about the apples in winter -- is winter almost over in your area? It looks like your tree is starting to bud.

I'd love to hang apples here in the midwest US but I doubt if I'd get anything but rotting apples...

Doug: If the Starlings are in the garden....fine, but I'm not wasting my favourite fruit on luring them here ;) The Pears fruit quite early here, and they don't keep for the winter like the apples do....the little Blue Tits like pecking the pears though.

Finzzup: My Cherry tree (eating, not flowering) often has buds first appearing around winter, even more so in the very mild weather that we get these days. Doesn't blossom for some time, but when it does it's often hit by a frost.
The apples are quite good as a water supply for birds in freezing weather, when most natural water is frozen. The sugar content is quite high when they start to rot.. another valuable source of energy in cold weather.
I'm sure you have some local birds that would like an apple..... just a case of the birds getting used to them. I expect an orchard would see some birdy interest in the autumn, espescially bright red apples in any quantity.
Regards,
Andy

Andy, surely you aren't another 'Starling basher'? Why do so many birders dislike them - especially in the garden. I know they can be bully boys - but their song, plumage and behavior make them enthralling to observe surely?

Being a soft fruit area we can and do go to the fruit union cold storage all winter to get apples. Good for us and great darn prices... I nail half oranges and apples; put cranberries and raisins, oatmeal and cornmeal out there .I decorate the trees and I have no neighbours that think of me as sane ;so it is quite alright!!!

T0ny - here in the States I bought a metal gadget from a bird feeding store, that you can hang apples on. It has 4 vertical prongs - it would work with oranges in areas that get orioles. Here in SE Texas the apples were very popular with the Northern Mockingbirds in the Spring, while they were feeding young.

I know I took some photos of the mockers on it, but can't locate them at the moment.

Happy New Year to everyone B :)

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but do you hang the apple whole? Or do you put a few holes in it to get it 'started' for the birds?

I do both cut it in half and whole.. the quail like them on the ground and everything else likes them on the feeder tray or wherever!

Finzzup ..... I take off a bit of peel around the top of the apple, then push it down so that the prong goes right through the core. Will post a photo when I find it.... I know I took some!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back